Another response

  • Jerry McDonald
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2009
      This person has responded to my post as follows:
      "You addressed nothing here Jerry. The scriptures still teach that in hell...

      * Both the body and soul are destroyed
      * The damned human will perish
      * He will die
      * He will meet his second death
      * He will burn up
      * He will receive eternal punishment
      * Which is eternal destruction

      I'm not impressed with your books Jerry. I have over $10,000 dollars worth of
      reference books but the most important book I have is the Bible.

      The most important issue which you are indeed avoiding is your statement that
      you "will not change--ever." The Bible cannot help you because it is to be used
      for correction. Think about it Jerry--I am preaching to you son. You can never
      learn until you decide that you will change. Christians are to "repent"--turn
      away from their sins. As we learn we grow (change). I know that you must resist
      this message as far as what people see--but--take it to heart and let the Spirit
      lead you afterward

      Also--the Church is indeed literally the Body of Christ. It is not a figure of
      speech."
      I am sorry, but I did address something. This man stated that since the word "apollumi" was figurative that it didn't have reference to eternal damnation. I showed where he was wrong in that belief. The word "apollumi" is used "figuratively" according to Thayer in Mt. 10:28. That does not mean that there will be no death, it simply means that the death will not be annihilation. It will be an eternal death, an everlasting punishment. It will be an everlasting torment. I also listed lexicons that showed that the word has a prolonged form of destruction:
      Thayer
      G3639ὄλεθροςolethrosThayer Definition:
      1) ruin, destroy, death
      1a) for the destruction of the flesh, said of the external ills and troubles by which the lusts of the flesh are subdued and destroyedPart of Speech:A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number:
      Citing in TDNT: Strong's Lexicon:
      Olethros comes from ollumi, the primary word "to destroy; a prolonged form); ruin, that is death, punishment; destruction. According to the Word Study Dictionary the word "apollumi" is a form of the word "ollumi." See below:
      G622ἀπόλλυμιapóllumi
       or apolúō; fut. apolésō, 2d aor. apōlómēn, perf. apolṓleka, 2d perf. apólōla, mid. fut. apoloúmai, from apó(G575) an intens., the mid. óllumi(n.f.), to destroy.
      Now, my statement to him about not changing is simple. He will not change me because he does not have the truth. Those who know me know that I have changed many times, and continue to change as I learn where I am in error. However, this person claims to have the Baptism of the Holy Spirit that the apostles had on the day of Pentecost, but he doesn't even believe that the Book of Acts was inspired because he denies that the writer of the book of Acts was inspired; Luke. Well, if Acts wasn't inspired, then how does he know anything about the baptism of the Holy Spirit that the Apostles received?

      The church is not the physical body of Christ, it is the Spiritual body of Christ. It is a metaphor, just as Bullinger said it was. This man's denial of this doesn't make him right.

      In Christ Jesus
      Jerry McDonaldG3639ὄλεθροςolethrosol'-eth-ros
      From ὄλλυμι ollumi a primary word (to destroy; a prolonged form); ruin, that is, death, punishment: - destruction.
       from a primary ollumi (to destroy, a prolonged form) 5:168, 681 noun masculine