Re: [M & B] Re: Everlasting punishment vs annihilation

  • Jerry McDonald
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2009
      Well, Todd, there isn't much I can do for you since you deny the existence of God and/or the inspiration of the Bible.  However, the article was not written for you.  It was written for those who do believe in God and the inspiration of the Bible.  So your comments don't count.
      jdm

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2009
        If you really want to comment why don't respond to my first affirmative?
        jdm

        ________________________________

        ____________ _________ _________ __
        Of course, any Christian mythology of the afterlife has the same empirical evidence for it as the Sumerian, Babylonian, Egyptian, Greek, or Hindu mythologies, or any other religious mythologies of the afterlife.

        In other words, none. So you can make up whatever you want to make up about it, since it has no connection with reality.

        Chuckling,
        Todd Greene

        P.S.: I also notice that poor Jerry doesn't seem to comprehend that word "annihilation" has the same END RESULT, and that the "unavoidable distress and torment" has reference to how you get there and not to the end result of not existing.

        --- In Maury_and_Baty@ yahoogroups. com, Jerry McDonald <jerry@...> wrote:

        > Eternal Punishment vs Annihilation
        > Jerry McDonald
        >
        > The Bible tells us "And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power" (2Th 1:7-9).  The word "destruction" comes from:
        > "G3639
        >
        > There are those who teach that the lost will be annihilated rather than eternally punished.  However, the Word Study Dictionary a lexiconshows that this destruction is not annihilation, but distress and torment.
        >
        > Now if annihilation is what is going to happen to those who are wicked, what do they have to lose?  Where is the punishment?  They will simply be burned up and they will be no more.  They will remember no more and they will be punished no more.  Where is the punishment?  Those who teach this teach it because it is a convenient doctrine.
        >
        > This is not what the Bible teaches.  The Bible teaches that man will be punished with everlasting destruction or torment.  This is something that we all need to keep in mind.  There is punishment here, but not in the annihilation theory.
        >  οÌ"Ì�λεθÏ�ος ólethros; gen. oléthrou, masc. noun, from óllumi(n.f.), to destroy, kill. Ruin, destruction. Used of divine punishment (1Co_5:5; 1Th_5:3; 2Th_1:9; 1Ti_6:9; Sept.: Pro_21:7). The verb óllumi(n.f.) does not occur, but its derivative, apóllumi(G622) , to destroy, does. The fundamental thought is not annihilation by any means, but unavoidable distress and torment. Deriv.: olothreúoÌ„(G3645), to destroy. Syn.: phthorá(G5356) , corruption; diaphthorá(G1312) , complete destruction; apoÌ„Ì�leia(G684), perdition" (Word Study Dictionary, e-Sword).

      • Todd Greene
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2009
          In other words, some people buy into believing ideas about things that have no connection with reality.

          Yes, I did know that already.

          - Todd Greene