IRC 107 - a little more context!

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2009
      The SC list may be tuning up for an historical discussion on 20th century church history with special emphasis on B.C. Goodpasture and a dissertation from Hardin on the subject.

      From: Robert Baty
      Date: Thurs Oct 1, 2009 8:33 am

      Subject: Re: NI Then and Now

      Steve Wolfgang writes to Lavelle, in part:

      > Of the issues on your list, only
      > four defined the NI discussion:
      > (2) church support of orphan
      > homes (about which there were
      > serious differences even among
      > those who wanted to support them –
      > under churches or under a board?);
      >
      > (3) church support of Christian colleges
      > (also objectionable to many who
      > argued for church contributions to
      > orphanages);...

      > (I)t appears we are going to discuss
      > such matters on-list via John Hardin’s
      > dissertation.

      > I will be glad to take a turn, assuming
      > it suits the powers-that-be on this list.

      I will look forward to that discussion, not only in the context of that dissertation but also the context of, hopefully, that soon to be filed IRC 107 suit and the popular, public discussion of its future and the future prospects of the ACU basketball minister being able to claim his income is tax exempt because ACU is an "integral agency of the churches of Christ" and he's a "minister".

      Unlike so many, if not all, of those other issues, the government has become, and remains, quite an active player in "the college question"; handing out millions in personal tax benefits to those basketball ministers and others so situated at ACU and similar schools.

      Ah, the history of it all...fascinating; and I'm looking forward to an informed discussion here as has been, tentatively, announced.