Re: Rick's exposition on Colin Patterson!

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 4, 2009
      (DBWillis' post follows my comments below)

      > There is knowledge, a certainty,
      > that comes from education and
      > indoctrination, and a knowledge
      > or certainty that comes from
      > working things out for yourself.

      > Certainty and truth may or may
      > not coincide.

      > The knowledge in my first edition
      > came from education and
      > indoctrination; it was that
      > neo-Darwinism is certainty.

      > The knowledge in this second
      > edition comes more from
      > working things out for myself;
      > it is that evolution is certainty.

      > And part of the ignorance in the
      > first edition concerned the
      > difference between neo-Darwinism
      > and evolution, whereas the
      > ignorance in this edition is of
      > the completeness of neo-Darwinism
      > as an explanation of evolution.

      I'm not "defending" anything here as suggested by DBWillis. I'm just reporting, you decide.

      I've already voiced my opinion about DBWillis, et al, failing to fully consider the context of Patterson's speech and how Patterson's "falsified precisely" comment has, in fact, been misrepresented.

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 5, 2009
        DBWillis more recently claims on the coCBanned list:

        > Colin Patterson opposes
        > Neo-Darwinism.

        Compare that claim with my recent interview with Colin Patterson:

        Robert Baty:

        > Colin, do you consider evolution
        > a certainty?

        Colin Patterson:

        > "Evolution is a certainty."

        Robert Baty:

        > How much of a certainty?

        Colin Patterson:

        > "I think the idea of common or
        > shared ancestry and the belief
        > that all species are related by
        > descent is now confirmed as
        > completely as anything can be
        > in the historical sciences."

        Robert Baty:

        > Yeah, sure, but how did it happen?

        Colin Patterson:

        > "Neo-Darwinism concerns the
        > explanation of descent with
        > modification, and it emphasizes
        > natural selection."

        Robert Baty:

        > You believe in natural selection?

        Colin Patterson:

        > Who doesn't!

        Robert Baty:

        > Of course! But is natural selection
        > THE explanation of "descent with
        > modification"?

        Colin Patterson:

        > "I am not certain that natural
        > selection is the complete
        > explanation."

        Robert Baty:

        > But you are certain about evolution?

        Colin Patterson:

        > "Evolution is a certainty."

        Robert Baty:

        > So, while being informed of the
        > certainty of evolution, what is it
        > that you are ignorant of?

        Colin Patterson:

        > "The completeness of neo-Darwinism
        > as an explanation."

        Robert Baty:

        > Aren't we all!

        > Anything else you wish to add?

        Colin Patterson:

        > "The theory of evolution is the
        > foundation of contemporary
        > biological science. It unifies
        > and directs work in all sorts of
        > specialized fields, from medicine
        > to geology.

        > The modern theory is often called
        > neo-Darwinian: 'Darwinian' because
        > it uses Darwin's idea of natural
        > selection, and 'neo' (new) because
        > it incorporates a theory of heredity
        > worked out since Darwin's time.

        > (The outline in my 1999 book) is
        > amplified, explained and criticized."

        >> "Evolution", page 1

        Robert Baty:

        > OK, let me just get this straight. Are
        > you saying that evolution is the
        > certainty and neo-Darwinism as
        > an explanation is still being worked
        > out?

        Colin Patterson:

        > "Evolution is a certainty. I see common
        > descent as being as firmly established
        > as just about anything else in history.

        > Neo-Darwinism concerns the
        > explanation.

        > I am no longer certain that natural
        > selection is the complete explanation,
        > and I hope the new edition contains
        > enough information, and not too
        > much bias, for readers to understand
        > the problem and judge the answer
        > for themselves."

        Robert Baty:

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 5, 2009
          In response to DBWillis' latest misdirection on the coCBanned list, a copy of which follows my name below, here is more from Colin Patterson and the 1999 preface:

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 5, 2009
            DBWillis, continuing in his efforts at misdirection regarding Colin Patterson (his message follows my name below), asks:

            > BTW, does anyone KNOW what sort
            > of "evolution" process he DID believe
            > in?

            > He rejected Neo-Darwinism and felt
            > natural selection wasn't the answer
            > ....so what WAS?

            As if the previous comments by Patterson were not enough, I will offer yet these further comments from Patterson for DBWillis' consideration:

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 5, 2009
              Terry W. Benton,

              http://www.pinelanechurchofchrist.com ,

              has put on yet again another "ape" act and try to interview Colin Patterson. See his message following my name below.

              Colin, what was that you had to say to Terry W. Benton about fossils?

              Colin Patterson:

              > "In several animal and plant groups
              > enough fossils are known to bridge
              > the wide gaps between existing
              > types...

              > There are many other examples of
              > fossil 'missing links', such as
              > Archaeopteryx, the Jurassic bird
              > which links birds with dinosaurs,
              > or Ichthyostega and Acanthostega,
              > late Devonian amphibians which link
              > land vertebrates and the extinct
              > (having internal nostrils) fishes.

              > But there are still great gaps in the
              > fossil record...

              > Perhaps the simplest explanation
              > is that in many cases we do not
              > yet know what to look for, or how
              > to recognize it if we found it."

              >> pages 108, 109

              And, Colin, what about Terry's creation story?

              Colin Patterson:

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 5, 2009
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 5, 2009