Pop Apologetics..."where's Waldo"!

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2009
      Here's another interesting note that was posted to that other list where the Maury matters have been presented for consideration:

      From: Xxxxxx Xxxxxxxxx
      Date: Monday, March 9, 2009 11:38 AM

      Subject: Re: That history thing regarding one of "our" favorite myths!

      (excerpts)

      This discussion of sea channels and...is for me one of the gulfs that separate shallow Bible reading from serious study.

      I'm quite familiar with people who get their inspiration for living from pop apologetics.

      But I'm also familiar with those who study the Bible seriously on its own terms.

      On the one hand you have a view of the Bible that contains "Where's Waldo"-type clues about science that only modern explorers can find, but which were unintelligible to the people of biblical times.

      This assumption can make moderns feel good about the way our generations can find interesting lore about our world, but the same assumption can create a dangerous contempt for actually digging into what the Bible meant to its original readers.

      When you think about it, "Where's Waldo" hermeneutics can render moot the very idea that there is an original biblical teaching for us to recover and restore.