Logic 101: Age of the Earth Debate!

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2009
      Unrelated to the substantive issues in the debate, the following, among a number of other things, caught my attention:

      From: Jerry McDonald
      Date: Friday, February 27, 2009 5:05 PM

      Subject: First Affirmative

      (excerpt)

      ..I (Jerry D. McDonald) am obligated to...make an argument in favor of my proposition and then to give evidence to back up that argument.

      The argument that I will give is called the "constituent element" argument.

      It is an argument that is logically valid because the conclusion automatically follows from the premise...

      The Argument

      > Major Premise:

      >> All total situations, the constituent
      >> elements of which are factual are
      >> total situations which are true.

      > Minor Premise:

      >> The total situation described by my
      >> proposition is a total situation the
      >> constituent elements of which are
      >> factual.

      > Conclusion:

      >> Therefore, the total situation
      >> described by my proposition is a
      >> total situation which is true.

      Now as was said earlier the argument is logically valid because the conclusion logically follows from the premise.

      However, an argument can be logically valid and still be false...

      ..what we need to do is to prove the truthfulness of the argument.

      Is the argument true?

      This is what has to be proven.

      In order to do that we must prove the minor premise...

      ---------------------------------------
      ---------------------------------------

      My further comments:

      One might have thought Jerry would have finally learned better considering "our" patience in instructing him in the following basic terminology regarding such matters:

      > It's premises, plural!

      > An argument is valid if the
      > conclusion follows from the
      > truth of its premises, plural!

      > Propositions are true or false!

      > Arguments are sound or unsound!

      > In order to prove a valid argument
      > is sound, the truth of its premises,
      > plural, must be demonstrated.

      Jerry "appears" has not learned these basics which "we" have spent so much time and effort trying to get him to accept and apply.