The fallacy of preaching. . .???

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2003
      Apparently, one of Bert's preacher-boys has gotten a neat little
      article published on Bert's website this week that has something to
      say about some of the things we have discussed here. It follows my
      name below (an excerpt).

      Fallacies regarding Matthew Maury and who may have written a certain
      letter published by the CRSQ, for example, may involve some of those
      harmless sorts of things. Similarly, how one "labels" an argument
      may be of little consequence.

      The harm of course, according to the preachers, is how some folks
      handle their harmless fallacies and public responsibilities regarding
      them. Seems some just haven't handled their responsibilities very
      well (i.e. Matthew 7:1,2 and James 3:1).

      Of course, one might wonder what one does about fallacies that may
      not have been "inadvertent". For instance, we are still left to
      wonder if Bert Thompson, Ph.D. really did have some unquestionable,
      Ph.D.-level authority for his Maury statue claim, as he has led folks
      to believe.

      We're still waiting for the information letting us in on his source
      for that fallacious statue claim (the one about the statue at the
      Naval Academy with a Bible in one hand).

      #################################

      http://www.apologeticspress.org/bibbul/2003/bb-03-22.htm

      THE FALLACY OF PREACHING . . .
      by
      Zach Smith

      (an excerpt)

      Preachers and authors in the religious community sometimes commit
      inadvertent fallacies in what they teach and write.

      These can stem from a lack of understanding of vital fields, such as
      biblical languages, church and secular history, psychology, and
      philosophy.

      While some of these fallacies are harmless, others can do more damage
      to a person's soul through their inaccuracies than if nothing had
      been said at all.

      In our preaching, let us be honest with people and teach them
      to "hold fast" to . . . truth. . .