Re: Necessity of Hermeneutics: (All atheists are fools)

    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 6, 2008
      I had asked:

      >> Genesis 27:41b:
      >>
      >> | Esau said in his heart, The days of mourning
      >> | for my father are at hand; then will I slay
      >> | my brother Jacob.
      >>

      >> Is this an "idiomatic" way of saying that everyone
      >> who plots to kill their brother after their father's
      >> death is an "esau"?

      DB Willis replies:

      > No.
      >
      > The idiom is like how we would say "It is a fool
      > who would say, 'there is no God.' " Or "One would
      > have to be a fool to say 'there is no God.' " It is
      > not just quoting one particular person. The context
      > (use of plurals) clearly indicates it is not just
      > speaking of one person, unlike the passage about
      > Esau. It is making a universal characterization.

      Context?

      I think the context here in Psalm 14 and Psalm 53
      is clearly not talking about the 10% or so of
      modern humanity who claim to be "atheists":

      | Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity;
      | There is none that doeth good. 2 God looked down from
      | heaven upon the children of men, To see if there were
      | any that did understand, That did seek after God.
      | 3 Every one of them is gone back; They are together
      | become filthy; There is none that doeth good, no, not one.

      Psalm 14:1 and 53:1 are speaking of those who live as
      if there is no coming judgment. Humanity in general
      lives as if there is none -- not just those who say
      that there is no God, but those who claim to believe
      in God but then live as if there is not.

      I think you need to include Psalm 10 in your "context",
      which makes this more evident.

      I also notice that you are painting all atheists as
      having said, "There is no God" and you are furthermore,
      like those who have come before you in this discussion,
      deliberately leaving out the part about "hath said in
      his heart".

      How people live, DB Willis, rather than what they may
      say with their mouths, is a better indication of what
      they "have said in their heart". I think the Scriptures
      will support that notion.

      > So I guess you are agreeing with RB to say that one
      > can be an atheist and not nec. be a fool? WHEW!
      > I suppose that is pretty consistent though with
      > what else is written on Maury_and_Baty.

      I don't think that is what Robert is saying. He is
      saying that the use of Psalm 14:1 to "prove" that
      "all atheists are fools" is both logically false and
      unsound biblical hermeneutics -- even IF all atheists
      are fools that is not what you, as a believer, are
      supposed to be getting out of Psalm 14 or 53 (or 10).

      These Scriptures weren't written as a justification for
      believers to use in deliberately insulting non-believers.

      > A fool says in his heart, "let me listen to what
      > R. Baty has to say."
      >
      > Did I just have reference to ONE fool or ALL? Surely
      > you wouldn't get mad at my saying that...

      So you seem to understand here that people might not
      take kindly to being arbitrarily called a "fool".

      I will point out that this entire discussion was
      dredged up once again because some foolish young-earth
      creationists, unable to rationally defend their
      "scientific evidence for a young Earth" (as usual),
      decided they needed to change the subject because the
      particular "atheist" in this case was making them look
      like "fools".

      > since you think I was NOT saying "all who listen to
      > what R. Baty has to say are fools." So don't take it
      > PERSONAL. Maybe I just meant ONE of you.

      In general, I don't take anything a young-earth
      creationist says personally. They use their false
      teaching about the age of the Earth to eat up the
      Lord's people as if they were eating bread. Corrupt
      are they, there is none that doeth good, there is none
      that hath understanding, no, not one.

      Rick Hartzog
      Worldwide Church of Latitudinarianism
    • DBWILLIS@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 6, 2008
        David Willis here,

        >>Ps. 14:2 God looked down from
        | heaven upon the children of men, To see if there were
        | any that did understand, That did seek after God.
        | 3 Every one of them is gone back; They are together
        | become filthy; There is none that doeth good, no, not one.

        Even if you doubt it from :1, it is clear from :2 that the Bible asserts
        that all you atheists who do not seek after God....ALL OF YOU...have "gone back"
        and are "filthy" and do "no good"...NO NOT ONE. Being a fool is on TOP of
        all that.

        Perhaps it comforts you to think God does NOT call you a fool if you are an
        atheist. If you doubt that, you shouldn't doubt it does clearly tell you
        your destination.

        >>2 Th. 1:8 rendering vengeance to them that know not God, and to them that
        obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus: 9 who shall suffer punishment, [even]
        eternal destruction from the face of the Lord and from the glory of his
        might, >>

        So enjoy the belief that God does NOT call you a fool if you want. He DOES
        clearly tell you you are damned and face eternal destruction. Will that help
        your feelings when you are in hell...believing that God didn't call you a
        fool in Ps. 14:1?

        Rick>>Psalm 14:1 and 53:1 are speaking of those who live as
        if there is no coming judgment. Humanity in general
        lives as if there is none -- not just those who say
        that there is no God, but those who claim to believe
        in God but then live as if there is not.>>

        If you want me to agree that there are other fools and you atheists are
        right there with all the other fools...I will agree to that.

        >>I also notice that you are painting all atheists as
        having said, "There is no God" and you are furthermore,
        like those who have come before you in this discussion,
        deliberately leaving out the part about "hath said in
        his heart".

        I haven't read prior discussion. I think it is pretty self-evident that
        atheists are those who say in their hearts "there is no God." Doesn't take a
        rocket scientist to draw that connection.

        >>How people live, DB Willis, rather than what they may
        say with their mouths, is a better indication of what
        they "have said in their heart". I think the Scriptures
        will support that notion.>>

        They can be made fools by how they live as well as by their saying "there is
        no God."

        >>I don't think that is what Robert is saying. He is
        saying that the use of Psalm 14:1 to "prove" that
        "all atheists are fools" is both logically false and
        unsound biblical hermeneutics -- even IF all atheists
        are fools that is not what you, as a believer, are
        supposed to be getting out of Psalm 14 or 53 (or 10).>>

        It isn't logically false. However it IS logically false to try to paint me
        as suggesting that ONLY those who are atheists are fools. That is not
        logical at all. Others may be fools too, but according to God's word, ALL atheists
        are fools. You may disagree that is true, but it is deception to try to say
        God's word does NOT say it!

        >>These Scriptures weren't written as a justification for
        believers to use in deliberately insulting non-believers.>>

        I am pointing out what the word of God tells atheists so they can see their
        sad condition and maybe be saved. If that is "insulting" then I am fine to
        do exactly that. I guess others may be similarly insulted if I told them they
        are damned if they won't believe and obey Christ....but I will say it anyway.

        >>I will point out that this entire discussion was
        dredged up once again because some foolish young-earth
        creationists, unable to rationally defend their
        "scientific evidence for a young Earth" (as usual),
        decided they needed to change the subject because the
        particular "atheist" in this case was making them look
        like "fools".>>

        Nevermind about YE vs. AE. Supposedly lots of AEs are theists and believe
        that one must be a fool to say there is no God. Stop acting like it is only
        YE's that think that.

        DW

      • DBWILLIS@aol.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 6, 2008
          David Willis here,

          I will provide textual evidence of the Hebrew idiom which uses a singular to
          express a general or sometimes even a universal/absolute truth. I know that
          not every instance of the use of a singular is for that purpose but it often
          is. My comments in CAPS.

          Pr 15:2 - The tongue of the wise uttereth knowledge aright; But the mouth of
          fools poureth out folly.

          Pr 15:7 - The lips of the wise disperse knowledge; But the heart of the
          foolish [doeth] not so.

          Pr 18:15 - The heart of the prudent getteth knowledge; And the ear of the
          wise seeketh knowledge.

          ALL THOSE WHO GET KNOWLEDGE ETC....ARE WISE.

          Ps 1:1 - Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the wicked,
          Nor standeth in the way of sinners, Nor sitteth in the seat of scoffers:

          ALL THOSE WHO WALK NOT IN COUNSEL OF THE WICKED....ARE BLESSED.

          Ps 37:12 - The wicked plotteth against the just, And gnasheth upon him with
          his teeth.

          ALL THOSE WHO PLOT AGAINST THE JUST ....ARE WICKED. OTHERS WHO DO OTHER
          THINGS MAY *ALSO* BE WICKED, BUT THIS IS ONLY ADDRESSING *THESE*.

          Pr 11:18 - The wicked earneth deceitful wages;

          ALL THOSE WHO EARN BY DECEIT ARE WICKED. IT IS *NOT* TRUE IN CONVERSE. NOT
          ALL WICKED PEOPLE EARN BY DECEIT.

          Ps 37:21 - The wicked borroweth, and payeth not again; But the righteous
          dealeth graciously, and giveth.

          ALL THOSE WHO BORROW AND PAY NOT AGAIN ARE WICKED. NOT NEC. TRUE IN
          CONVERSE.

          Pr 17:23 - A wicked man receiveth a bribe out of the bosom, To pervert the
          ways of justice.

          DITTO

          Pr 13:1 - A wise son [heareth] his father's instruction; But a scoffer
          heareth not rebuke.

          DITTO

          Pr 14:16 - A wise man feareth, and departeth from evil; But the fool beareth
          himself insolently, and is confident.

          SAME CONSTRUCTION AS PS. 14:1. *ALL* THOSE WHO FEAR (GOD) AND DEPART FROM
          EVIL ARE *WISE*.

          Pr 28:7 - Whoso keepeth the law is a wise son; But he that is a companion of
          gluttons shameth his father.

          THIS IS THE SAME IDEA, BUT IN THIS CASE IT IS EXPRESSED IN THE OTHER WAY.
          IT SAYS THE SAME THING IN HEBREW TO SAY "A FOOL SAYS THERE IS NO GOD" AND
          "WHOSOEVER SAYS THERE IS NO GOD IS A FOOL."

          Pr 10:18 - He that hideth hatred is of lying lips; And he that uttereth a
          slander is a fool.

          THOUGH THE SINGULAR IS USED, IT IS REFERING TO *ALL* WHO UTTER SLANDER.

          Pr 15:5 - A fool despiseth his father's correction; But he that regardeth rep
          roof getteth prudence.

          THIS PASSAGE LIKE ALL THE OTHERS, PROVES THE IDIOM.
          ====

          I have spent about all the time I intend to spend on Baty's site this time
          around. A fool says "it makes sense to keep posting to those who have closed
          minds." Someone on this list, who seems to be a fool but thinks himself very
          wise, once wrote something about wise use of one's time:

          Rick>>I'll tell you just like I told David Willis: I have no
          > intention of arguing back and forth with you in private exchanges.
          > I am just vain enough to think that my time is a little more
          > valuable than that.

          I may not agree with this fella about HIS time, but I do think that about my
          own. And I would extend the comment to apply to public exchanges which
          become pointless also. I share the same "vanity" to think my time is worth more
          than to spend it in worthless pursuits as what is usually the case on the
          Baty list.

          DW

        • DBWILLIS@aol.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 7, 2008
            David Willis here,

            Rick>>I think the context here in Psalm 14 and Psalm 53
            is clearly not talking about the 10% or so of
            modern humanity who claim to be "atheists":

            Oh NO...why would ANYONE think that when we read "says in his heart there is
            no God" or "(does not) seek after God" or "call not upon Jehovah" or "(not
            having) Jehovah as his refuge"...that it is referring to atheists? Who would
            have thought such a thing???

            >>Psalm 14:1 and 53:1 are speaking of those who live as
            if there is no coming judgment. Humanity in general
            lives as if there is none -- not just those who say
            that there is no God, but those who claim to believe
            in God but then live as if there is not. >>

            I have not denied that there are more fools than just atheists. Theists who
            live as if there is no God are fools too. All fools are not atheists but
            all atheists are fools. That is clear from this passage...and others.

            >>I think you need to include Psalm 10 in your "context",
            which makes this more evident.>>

            Yes! I agree we should look also at Ps. 10. "4 The wicked, in the pride of
            his countenance, [saith], He will not require [it]. All his thoughts are,
            There is no God." The passage tells us that not only are all atheists FOOLS,
            but also they are WICKED. I appreciate your bringing that to my attention,
            Rick. I'm sure the atheists feel much better now. Of course there are
            wicked theists too. "11 He saith in his heart, God hath forgotten; He hideth his
            face; he will never see it."

            >>How people live, DB Willis, rather than what they may
            say with their mouths, is a better indication of what
            they "have said in their heart". I think the Scriptures
            will support that notion. >>

            It is a nice try...to try to pin me with saying that how people live does
            not matter as long as they say (insincerely) that they believe in God. I do
            not say that. It shows desperation on your part to try to pin on me something
            I would never say...and you KNOW it.

            >>I don't think that is what Robert is saying. He is
            saying that the use of Psalm 14:1 to "prove" that
            "all atheists are fools" is both logically false and
            unsound biblical hermeneutics -- >>

            I proved by many scriptures that often this sort of wording is used to say
            "all those who...(insert)....are fools, wicked, evil, wise, blessed, etc."
            Baty can squawk all day that I haven't given "evidence" for my "ipse dixit" but
            I did indeed provide the textual evidence. Any fair reader can easily see
            that, but I doubt there are many fair readers on Baty's list. It is OBVIOUS
            from the immediate context of Ps. 14:1 that a plurality is being referenced,
            not just a single man. And it is obvious also from the broader context that
            this is a Hebrew idiom to say "all those who say there is no God are fools."
            He says of those who "seek not God" (:2) that they are "ALL gone aside" (:3),
            and "there is NONE of them that doeth good." Forget :1 if you want. :2-3
            tells us plainly that all those who seek not God (which of course includes
            atheists, as well as negligent theists)...they are ALL gone aside and NONE of
            them do good." So whether you want to agree they are fools or not, atheists
            are ALL worthless in their present state and they will ALL be damned. If you
            or Baty are claiming to be christians, you should stop comforting atheists to
            help them feel they are in less danger than they are. It is in direct
            defiance to what your Lord (if you claim Jesus is Lord) would want an atheist to
            feel.

            >>So you seem to understand here that people might not
            take kindly to being arbitrarily called a "fool".>>

            Neither I nor God arbitrarily calls anyone a fool. The atheists earn the
            title, and then I use it on them as God does.

            DW

            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 7, 2008
              --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, DBWILLIS@... wrote:

              > David Willis here,
              >
              > >>Ps. 14:2 God looked down from
              > | heaven upon the children of men, To see if there were
              > | any that did understand, That did seek after God.
              > | 3 Every one of them is gone back; They are together
              > | become filthy; There is none that doeth good, no, not one.
              >
              > Even if you doubt it from :1, it is clear from :2 that
              > the Bible asserts that all you atheists who do not seek
              > after God....ALL OF YOU...have "gone back" and are "filthy"
              > and do "no good"...NO NOT ONE. Being a fool is on TOP of
              > all that.

              So now it appears that DB Willis is going to try to call
              *me* an atheist, too! Interesting! DB Willis knows
              very well that I am not an atheist -- he has known that
              all along.

              Yet look at what he now says!

              In his next message he even quotes Proverbs 10:18
              about how people who commit slander and hide their hatred
              with lying lips are fools, and here he is slandering me!

              What is ironic about this is that DB Willis is
              cross-posting these messages to the Focus_on_Truth list,
              where there are at least a few people who know very well
              that I am not an atheist.

              Ooops!

              Looks like DB Willis might be inadvertently showing his
              true colors...

              DB Willis says:

              > Perhaps it comforts you to think God does NOT call you
              > a fool if you are an atheist. If you doubt that, you
              > shouldn't doubt it does clearly tell you your destination.
              >
              > >>2 Th. 1:8 rendering vengeance to them that know not God,
              > and to them that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus:
              > 9 who shall suffer punishment, [even] eternal destruction
              > from the face of the Lord and from the glory of his
              > might, >>
              >
              > So enjoy the belief that God does NOT call you a fool
              > if you want. He DOES clearly tell you you are damned
              > and face eternal destruction. Will that help your
              > feelings when you are in hell...believing that God
              > didn't call you a fool in Ps. 14:1?

              My covenant with the Lord is established on better promises
              than the word of DB Willis.

              DB, where does God tell me that I am damned and face
              eternal destruction?

              It looks to me as if, for the sake of trying to force
              your point, you are not only bearing false witness against
              me but against the Lord as well.

              You are acting as if there is no coming judgment, DB Willis.

              I had written:

              >> Psalm 14:1 and 53:1 are speaking of those who live as
              >> if there is no coming judgment. Humanity in general
              >> lives as if there is none -- not just those who say
              >> that there is no God, but those who claim to believe
              >> in God but then live as if there is not.

              DB Willis replies:

              > If you want me to agree that there are other fools and
              > you atheists are right there with all the other fools...
              > I will agree to that.

              Well, that kind of weakens the effect of calling the
              atheist of fool, doesn't it, if the one who is saying
              all atheists are fools turns out to be at least as
              big a fool as the atheist is?

              Aren't we told that judgment is going to begin at the
              house of God? Aren't we told that the servant who didn't
              know any better would be beaten with few stripes, but the
              one who knew, but did not his master's will, will be
              beaten with many stripes?

              I had written:

              >> I also notice that you are painting all atheists as
              >> having said, "There is no God" and you are furthermore,
              >> like those who have come before you in this discussion,
              >> deliberately leaving out the part about "hath said in
              >> his heart".

              DB Willis replies:

              > I haven't read prior discussion.

              Maybe you should have. That way you would have known that
              you cannot truthfully make the claim that "All atheists
              have said in their heart, there is no God."

              DB Willis says:

              > I think it is pretty self-evident that atheists are
              > those who say in their hearts "there is no God."
              > Doesn't take a rocket scientist to draw that
              > connection.

              While people who say in their hearts that there is
              no God are certainly atheists, that does not mean
              that all atheists have said in their heart that there
              is no God.

              "All A is B" is NOT equal to "All B is A".

              I had written:

              >> How people live, DB Willis, rather than what they may
              >> say with their mouths, is a better indication of what
              >> they "have said in their heart". I think the Scriptures
              >> will support that notion.

              DB Willis responds:

              > They can be made fools by how they live as well as by
              > their saying "there is no God."

              You left out the part about saying "in his heart",
              DB Willis. You seem to be missing the point, so I will
              try to make it a little simpler for you: You don't know
              what someone may or may not have said "in his heart".

              The result of what the "fools" of Psalm 14:1 have said
              in their heart is manifested in the verses following.
              And from the characteristics given of those fools in the
              following verses we see people living as if they are never
              going to be called to account. The "eloyhim" of verse 1
              may appropriately be seen as referring to the Lord's
              judgment of mankind, considering all the other Psalms that
              are similar in construction and intent.

              So we might get the idea that in falsely accusing me
              of atheism in a public place, DB Willis is living as if
              he has no fear of any coming judgment.

              I said:

              >> I don't think that is what Robert is saying. He is
              >> saying that the use of Psalm 14:1 to "prove" that
              >> "all atheists are fools" is both logically false and
              >> unsound biblical hermeneutics -- even IF all atheists
              >> are fools that is not what you, as a believer, are
              >> supposed to be getting out of Psalm 14 or 53 (or 10).

              DB Willis replies:

              > It isn't logically false.

              Sure it is. For one thing there is the problem of you
              taking "The F has said [in his heart] X" and "idiomatically"
              converting it to say that "All who say X are F", [conveniently
              omitting the "in his heart" part]. An additional problem is
              that you claim "*All* A has said X".

              Even IF it is true that "all atheists are fools" you have
              no support for that from Psalm 14:1. Even with your
              "idiomatic" conversion the *best* you can hope to come up with
              from Psalm 14:1 is that "All who have said in their heart,
              there is no God, are fools." But still, I think the best
              way to identify the "fools" of Psalm 14 and 53 is to read
              the rest of the verses.

              > However it IS logically false to try to paint me
              > as suggesting that ONLY those who are atheists are
              > fools. That is not logical at all.

              But nobody has suggested that. This is quite typical
              of DB Willis, and very much in keeping with our past
              experiences with him -- he makes up strawmen, pretending
              that people have said something they haven't.

              No one has said that DB Willis is suggesting that
              "only athesits are fools". Nobody has even hinted at
              that being what DB Willis is suggesting. But
              DB Willis, always angry, always on the run from his own
              rash proclamations, has to think up something to distract
              attention away from what has *really* been said.

              Read my last statement again, DB Willis. I say it
              is not only illogical but is also unsound biblical
              hermeneutics to try to use Psalm 14:1 to "prove"
              all atheists are fools.

              > Others may be fools too, but according to God's word,
              > ALL atheists are fools. You may disagree that is
              > true, but it is deception to try to say God's word
              > does NOT say it!

              The word "atheist" does not appear anywhere in Scripture.

              The argument is not whether all atheists are fools,
              but whether Psalm 14 and 53, rightly interpreted,
              justify saying all atheists are fools. Especially
              questionable is the practice of using these verses
              in an attempt to weasel out of rational discussion.

              Because even IF all atheists are fools, that does not
              entitle you to make false claims about, say, carbon dating,
              in your attempt to convince people that there is any
              scientific evidence that the Earth is only a few thousand
              years old and then, when the atheist points out your errors,
              to respond to that by saying the Bible says that all atheists
              are fools.

              You do understand, don't you, DB, why that is not a
              good argument?

              I said:

              >> These Scriptures weren't written as a justification
              >> for believers to use in deliberately insulting
              >> non-believers.

              DB Willis replies:

              > I am pointing out what the word of God tells atheists
              > so they can see their sad condition and maybe be saved.
              > If that is "insulting" then I am fine to do exactly that.

              How do you call somebody a fool "in meekness and in fear"?

              I have YET to see ANYONE use Psalm 14:1 to call the atheist
              a fool for any other reason than to make an ad hominem
              remark in lieu of an intelligent response, which to
              observers has the unintended result of making the *theist*
              look like the foolish one.

              > I guess others may be similarly insulted if I told them
              > they are damned if they won't believe and obey Christ....
              > but I will say it anyway.

              Nah, that ain't it. You just like to be rude and insulting:

              And of course, a large part of what you call "believing
              and obeying" Jesus really means believe and obey whatever
              DB Willis says.

              You have in the past strongly insinuated that both Robert
              and I are atheistic, just because you weren't able to
              defend your young-earth fantasy-science, and I remarked at
              the time how convenient that would be for you if everybody
              who didn't believe in your 6,000 year old Earth would just
              roll over and let you have your way.

              And now, like others of your stripe, you have just decided
              to go ahead and call me an atheist anyway.

              Oh well. If people take a stand against false teachers, the
              false teachers will try to condemn and discredit them, but
              if people don't take a stand against false teachers the
              false teachers just get worse and worse and worse.

              I had written:

              >> I will point out that this entire discussion was
              >> dredged up once again because some foolish young-earth
              >> creationists, unable to rationally defend their
              >> "scientific evidence for a young Earth" (as usual),
              >> decided they needed to change the subject because the
              >> particular "atheist" in this case was making them look
              >> like "fools".

              DB Willis replies:

              > Nevermind about YE vs. AE.

              You wish!

              As I recall, DB Willis has a good bit of repenting
              to be doing in regard to some of his false claims that
              he would like us to "nevermind" about!

              For those who don't know, a couple of years ago DB Willis
              got it in his head that the Earth is at the center of the
              Universe and decided that would be good "evidence" for the
              existence of God. The only trouble is, of course, that there
              is absolutely no evidence that the Earth is at the center
              of the Universe. When I pointed this out DB Willis accused
              me of adopting "atheist philosophy" and arguing against the
              existence of God.

              In other words, DB Willis is one of those guys who thinks
              he ought to be able to make up just whatever he wants, and
              if you don't agree with his false claims, then you don't
              believe the word of God (or you are an atheist).

              > Supposedly lots of AEs are theists and believe
              > that one must be a fool to say there is no God.
              > Stop acting like it is only YE's that think that.

              This is more of DB Willis's pretense at not being able to
              understand what somebody has clearly written. Nobody
              is acting like only young-earth creationists claim that
              Psalm 14:1 says "All atheists are fools" -- what I said
              is that INSTEAD OF BEING ABLE TO DEFEND THEIR
              CREATIONIST LIES, THE YECs TRIED TO CHANGE THE SUBJECT.

              You know, either way this doesn't look good for DB Willis.

              Either he is unable to understand simple English sentences,
              which does not lend him any credibility in regard to proper
              Biblical hermeneutics; or he is deliberately misrepresenting
              what I just said.

              Which is it, DB Willis?

            • DBWILLIS@aol.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 7, 2008
                David Willis here,

                Rick, you flatter yourself to think that I have studied your posts enough to
                know (or remember) whether you are an atheist or not. You can believe that
                or not, I really don't care. I frankly don't pay as much attention to you as
                you fellas seem to pay to me so as to allow me to keep that straight. And I
                would bet I'm not the first one to be confused on that matter either! I
                think I do pretty well to remember that Baty is not one, actually considering
                how often he and others here sound like one. You probably won't believe it,
                but I did not intentionally misrepresent your view. I was speaking more
                broadly than the singular "you" and figured that if you weren't an atheist yourself
                others who read this list probably were. Maybe it should concern you a
                little that a person who has read some of your material would honestly not be
                able to know or keep straight in his mind if you were or weren't an atheist. I
                know that would concern ME. I also know that "Todd Green" (if that is his
                real name) used to operate under a cowardly false ID on Berean Spirit as a
                theist when he was NOT one (Heiden was the last name...forgot the first) and
                many, including myself GENEROUSLY credited him erroneously with having faith
                when he did NOT. So maybe that puts me even on that score. I sort of figured
                that someone IDing himself as a member of "the church of Latitudinarianism"
                (whatever THAT is...sounds totally bogus to me) was also likely pretending to
                be religious when he really isn't...sort of like how Barry Lynn (famous
                atheist) pretends to be a Rev. and head of some fake church just to mock those
                with real religious conviction. If that really is a church, you all maybe
                should think of coming up with another name that isn't so hokey-sounding so others
                won't figure it is meant as a joke. I honestly did not know that you were
                not an atheist or mocking those with faith. You may think I SHOULD have known
                but frankly I don't recall enough of your position on anything except AE
                and did not take time to review anything you wrote to try to figure that out.
                The fact that you sometimes refer to scripture would not nec. mean you
                weren't doing the same as what Satan did in Mt. 4. Oh, that's right. I'm dissing
                Satan some by lumping him in with atheists...he hasn't gotten quite THAT
                depraved enough yet to say there is no God. He and his demons believe what
                others including I think at least ONE on this list are too foolish to believe.
                But I guess Satan MAY be rightly lumped with some others who try to defend
                atheists like those on the Baty list so often do. I was not intending to only
                be addressing you...or even nec. addressing you at all directly when I said
                (as I recall) "you atheists". I do know that you sure seem defensive for those
                who ARE atheists being called fools. Maybe I just figured that the hit dog
                was the one was doing so much howling. I apologize that my comments
                slandered you by lumping you in with atheists if you really are not one. However, I
                am not sure if you are a notch or two above them or below them. Really.
                (And of COURSE I mean in your present state as I see it. We all are mere
                sinners needing forgiveness by faith and obedience to Christ and are not worth
                anything of our own merit). If I should have limited my "insults" (insults which
                come directly from God's word) to Todd as being the only one who is a fool
                here because of his atheism while others are in a bad state for other reasons
                including defending atheists and contradicting scripture, then you have my
                apology for that error.

                Also, I am pretty sure that your idea of what is a theist and mine may
                differ. For you to invent some wacky distinction between an atheist and someone
                who "says in his heart there is no God"...as IF the atheist is not as bad...is
                good enough reason for me to think your threshold for thinking someone is
                really an atheist is too high. (Or maybe it would be "too low.") I frankly
                don't even want to try to understand the silly distinction you have invented in
                your head on that one.

                I am not going to rehash the YE/AE discussion. If you enjoy exchanges with
                YE's from time to time and want more of that, then try to be less nasty next
                time you get the chance when a YE visits your site. I have said about all I
                want to say on Baty's list this time around. I do respect Baty for allowing
                my posts...which shows character that other list owners sometimes don't show.
                However, in other ways, I don't care much for the tactics you guys permit
                yourselves here. Baty acts like he is not just a participant in a discussion
                but a self-appointed judge and jury as well on who does or doesn't need to
                repent or be "shamed". And bottom line is that I figure I would risk
                disobeying Christ's command about casting pearls if I take much more time with you
                guys here. All atheists are indeed fools. But they are not the only fools.

                DW

                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 7, 2008
                  DBWillis wrote to the Focus_on_Truth list as well as here, in part:

                  > I do respect Baty for allowing
                  > my posts...which shows character
                  > that other list owners sometimes
                  > don't show.

                  I think that other list has demonstrated a level of hypocrisy that has been often noticed on such lists. That is, they let DBWillis post such as he did, as well as other such posts by various members on a variety of subjects, but recently refused my milder posts on three separate occasions; denying me the ability to respond to that list as my adversaries have continued to mention and misrepresent me.

                  DBWillis concluded with:

                  > All atheists are indeed fools.
                  > But they are not the only fools.

                  Looks like a little equivocation there from DBWillis as far as it relates to the controversy over Psalm 14:1.

                  At least DBWillis didn't try to cite Psalm 14:1 and his "ipse dixit idiom" as proof of that.

                  Perhaps DBWillis is now going the way of Veto Roley and giving up his claim to be able to prove that the Psalm 14:1 statement that

                  >> "the fool sayeth in his heart
                  >> there is no God"

                  > means, is properly interpreted
                  > to mean that

                  >> "all atheist are fools".

                  The sum and substance of DBWillis' proof is simply that

                  > "DBWillis says so"!

                  I got that much!

                  It's good to know that that is the "proof" offered. Come to think of it, that is the same "proof" that Veto Roley offered.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 7, 2008
                    (Note: My earlier post in response to DBWillis' "deceitful gain" problem, which he evaded, is attached for additional reference.-RLBaty)

                    DBWillis more recently wrote to Rick, in relevant part:

                    > Yes!

                    > I agree we should look also
                    > at Ps. 10.

                    >> "4 The wicked, in the pride of
                    >> his countenance, [saith], He will
                    >> not require [it]. All his thoughts
                    >> are, There is no God."

                    > The passage tells us that...all
                    > atheists are WICKED.

                    That's according to DBWillis' ipse dixit idiom rule! DBWillis then added:

                    > Of course there are wicked theists
                    > too.

                    >> "11 He saith in his heart, God
                    >> hath forgotten; He hideth his
                    >> face; he will never see it."

                    HMM? Why didn't DBWillis use his ipse dixit idiom on that and conclude that verse 11 tells us that

                    > "all theists are wicked"?????

                    Here's a little more context for Psalm 10 (KJV):

                    > (2) The wicked...

                    > (3) For the wicked...

                    > (4) The wicked, through the pride
                    > of his countenance, will not seek
                    > after God; God is not in all his
                    > thoughts.

                    > (5) His ways...

                    > (6) He hath...

                    > (7) His mouth...

                    > (8) He sitteth...

                    > (9) He lieth...

                    > (10) He croucheth...

                    > (11) He hath said in his heart, God
                    > hath forgotten: he hideth his face;
                    > he will never see it.

                    > (13) Wherefore doth the wicked
                    > contemn God? he hath said in
                    > is heart, Thou wilt not require it.

                    > (15) Break thou the arm of the
                    > wicked and the evil man...

                    I'm just wondering how it is that DBWillis figured that verse 4 was referencing "all atheists" while verse 11 was referencing "some theists"?

                    DBWillis evaded dealing with the apparent problem he had with interpreting the "deceitful gain" passage. Maybe he will deal with this issue now that I've posted it to his preferred subject thread??

                    DBWillis interprets Psalm 10:4 to reference "all atheists".

                    DBWillis inteprets Psalm 10:11 to reference
                    "some theists".

                    How is that justified by DBWillis?

                    My commentator, referenced earlier, disagrees with DBWillis and writes as if he believes the one referenced in verse 11 is the same sort referenced in verse 4.

                    ---------My "deceitful gain" Post---------

                    From: Robert Baty
                    To: Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Saturday, September 6, 2008 7:15 PM

                    Subject: [M & B] Re: The Baty Games Continue!

                    Just a side note for possible relevance:

                    By contrast, one commentator I read after, who appeared to be a better commentator than DBWillis, wrote in relevant part:

                    > "The godless acquire deceptive gain"

                    >> The labour of the godless has
                    >> selfishness as its motive, and
                    >> what he acquires by his labour
                    >> is therefore "delusive gain"--
                    >> it is no blessing, it profits him
                    >> not, and it brings him no
                    >> advantage.

                    It sounds to me like my commentator is interpreting the verse, contrary to DBWillis, so as to refer to "all godless/wicked" folk and is telling us the verse is telling us something about those folk and their "gain".

                    Regarding Psalm 14:1, my commentator writes, in relevant part:

                    > A free spirit of this class (fool/scoffer)
                    > is reckoned according to the Scriptures
                    > among the empty, hollow, and devoid
                    > of mind.

                    > It is not merely practical atheism, that
                    > is intended by this maxim ("no God")
                    > of the (fool).

                    > The heart according to the Scripture
                    > language is not only the seat of
                    > volition, but also of thought.

                    > The (fool) is not content with acting
                    > as though there were no God, but
                    > directly denies that there is a God,
                    > i.e., a personal God.

                    > The psalmist makes this prominent
                    > as the very extreme and depth of
                    > human depravity, that there can
                    > be among men those who deny
                    > the existence of a God.

                    My commentator appears to be telling me that Psalm 14:1 is telling us something about "all" the fools referenced thereat, contrary to the claim by DBWillis that it is telling us something about "atheists".

                    I do think I'm getting it though!

                    DBWillis actually does agree with me in my criticism of the INVALID argument that has been offered to show that atheists are fools:

                    > The fool sayeth in his heart
                    > there is no God. Psalm 14:1
                    > (A says B.)

                    > XXX says in his heart there
                    > is no God.
                    > (C says B.)

                    > XXX is a fool.
                    > (C is an A.)

                    DBWillis does actually agree with me that the above is INVALID. I think that Terry W. Benton also agrees with me, but he hasn't actually admitted, explained and corrected his error related thereto.

                    Nope, the way around the problem is for them to propose an interpretation claim such as:

                    > "Some fools say in their heart
                    > there is no God" means that
                    > "all who say in their heart
                    > there is no God are fools".
                    > Psalm 14:1

                    I'm not convinced, but I understand, I think, where DBWillis is trying to go with that.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 7, 2008
                      David Willis here,

                      Baty>>DBWillis interprets Psalm 10:4 to reference "all atheists".

                      DBWillis inteprets Psalm 10:11 to reference
                      "some theists".

                      How is that justified by DBWillis?

                      My commentator, referenced earlier, disagrees with DBWillis and writes as if
                      he
                      believes the one referenced in verse 11 is the same sort referenced in verse
                      4.>>

                      It is pretty certain that the person in :4 is indeed an atheist since it
                      seems to be the same person who says "there is no God" who also says (as if God
                      exists) "He will not require it." Later in :11 it could also be an
                      atheist...one who is speaking of a being who does not really (in his mind) exist but
                      he speaks AS IF he does. This is what Elijah did regarding Baal. However, it
                      could also be that the text is about a man who believes God exists but
                      thinks or acts as if God won't ever require accountability. There is no problem
                      to me of limiting the "wicked" to only certain theists because the text shows
                      that limitation...it is those who would say or do the things listed here.
                      Not all theists do those things! It is however, impossible to reasonably
                      imagine any atheist who is NOT saying in his heart "there is no God." That is by
                      definition what atheists do! I have not read whatever argument you think
                      shows a distinction between one who is an atheist and one who says in his heart
                      there is no God, but I don't think I care to waste time on that, if that
                      really is your position. If you are convinced it is a theist who is lying to
                      himself...trying to convince himself there is no God...and you want to also
                      think of him as a fool too, then that's just fine with me. However all atheists
                      do say that too. And regardless of whether you think the Bible plainly
                      teaches that atheists are fools, they are lost, and that should be reason enough
                      for them to seek another path...AND for you who think you are following the
                      Bible to stop encouraging them as you do here. BTW, I would never use Ps. 14:1
                      to try to prove YE vs. AE...and I doubt that others do either.

                      DW

                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 8, 2008
                        HMMM! I wonder why it is that DBWillis' latest message here was not, as his habit has been, also posted to the Focus_on_Truth list.

                        Is DBWillis now being moderated?

                        Did the Focus_on_Truth folks not want to see me putting DBWillis in retreat in absentia?

                        Did DBWillis just not want the Focus_on_Truth folks to see that I've got DBWillis in retreat?

                        DBWillis again, despite my reminder, evades his responsibility to deal with his apparent "deceitful gain" problem. In his latest post, he has simply danced around his Psalm 10 problem.

                        It looks like we are just going to have to take DBWillis' implications that he has abandoned, like Veto, his ipse dixit idiom claim that the Psalm 14:1 statement

                        >> "the fool sayeth in his heart
                        >> there is no God"

                        > means/is properly interpreted
                        > to mean that

                        >> "all atheists are fools".

                        DBWillis didn't come close to explaining how he could invoke his ipse dixit idiom claim to "all atheists" in Psalm 10:4 and then not invoke it on "all theists" in Psalm 10:11 where he interpreted that verse to have reference to "theists" as opposed to "atheists".

                        What I see him doing is admitting that he's not so sure he's even understanding who Psalm 10:4 and Psalm 10:11 is referring to.

                        However, if you grant him that Psalm 10:4 and Psalm 10:11 are referencing an "atheist", then DBWillis will invoke his ipse dixit idiom to interpret both verses as meaning "all atheists" are wicked.

                        However, If you grant him that Psalm 10:4 and/or Psalm 10:11 is referencing a "theist", then DBWillis will NOT invoke his ipse dixit idiom.

                        As previously noted, it appears that DBWillis has simply come up with a Veto Roley "thingy" that can't be substantiated and you are just going to have to take DBWillis' word for it as to when it is to be applied and when it isn't; when it works and when it doesn't.

                        It appears that what DBWIllis does is simply formulate his "interpretation of the text" and then, as needed, invokes his ipse dixit idiom defense in support thereof.

                        That's good to know.

                        DBWillis' wrote:

                        > (R)egardless of whether you think
                        > the Bible plainly teaches that
                        > atheists are fools...

                        Besides not doing his homework regarding the related discussions, DBWillis has not been paying close enough attention even to the present discussions on this list.

                        My issue throughout the discussion has to do with Psalm 14:1 and my position is that it is NOT the case that

                        >> "the fool sayeth in his heart
                        >> there is no God" (Psalm 14:1)

                        > means/is properly interpreted
                        > to mean that

                        >> "all atheists are fools".

                        DBWillis has effectively abandoned his ipse dixit idiom defense, and, again, in his latest message does not even try to invoke Psalm 14:1 to demonstrate that "the Bible" teaches that all atheists are "some kind of fool".

                        Without the equivocations that have so often plagued the various discussions on the subject, I'm still looking for DBWIllis and/or another to explicitly accept the proposition that they are wanting, in effect, is to interpret/translate Psalm 14:1 to read

                        > "some fools say in their hearts
                        > there is no God."

                        While certain of my adversaries have been implying as much, they haven't come out and been explicit in accepting the above inference from their equivocations or otherwise dealing with my simple proposition that

                        > "all fools (referenced in Psalm 14:1)
                        > say in their hearts there is no God."

                        Given my adversaries' adherence to their position, I would like to have their details as to at least one "fool" referenced in Psalm 14:1 that does NOT say in his heart there is no God.

                        Or is it the case that my adversaries, "in their hearts", do actually agree with the that it is "all" the fools referenced in Psalm 14:1 that say in their hearts "there is no God"?

                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 8, 2008
                          I had written:

                          >> I think the context here in Psalm 14 and Psalm 53
                          >> is clearly not talking about the 10% or so of
                          >> modern humanity who claim to be "atheists":

                          DB Willis now replies:

                          > Oh NO...why would ANYONE think that when we read
                          > "says in his heart there is no God" or "(does not)
                          > seek after God" or "call not upon Jehovah" or "(not
                          > having) Jehovah as his refuge"...that it is referring
                          > to atheists? Who would have thought such a thing???

                          Because it plainly says that God looked down on the
                          children of men, and there were *none* who had
                          understanding, they are *all* gone aside, they *all*
                          had become filthy, there were *none* that do good,
                          *NO, NOT ONE*.

                          He is plainly not looking down and singling out a
                          minority subset of humans who call themselves "atheists".
                          When one uses these verses to "prove" "all atheists are
                          fools" it is no more than saying that "all atheists are
                          among the children of men".

                          I had said:

                          >> Psalm 14:1 and 53:1 are speaking of those who live as
                          >> if there is no coming judgment. Humanity in general
                          >> lives as if there is none -- not just those who say
                          >> that there is no God, but those who claim to believe
                          >> in God but then live as if there is not.

                          DB Willis replies:

                          > I have not denied that there are more fools than just
                          > atheists. Theists who live as if there is no God are
                          > fools too. All fools are not atheists but all atheists
                          > are fools. That is clear from this passage...and
                          > others.

                          Well, from some of those other verses we know that ALL
                          the wisdom of man is but foolishness in the eyes of God,
                          and ALL the righteousness of man is but filthy rags in
                          His sight.

                          The term used for theists who "live as if there is no
                          god" is "practical atheism", which is not to say that
                          those theists are atheists.

                          So why dost thou boast, DB Willis?

                          I had written:

                          >> I think you need to include Psalm 10 in your "context",
                          >> which makes this more evident.

                          DB Willis replies:

                          > Yes! I agree we should look also at Ps. 10.
                          > "4 The wicked, in the pride of his countenance,
                          > [saith], He will not require [it]. All his
                          > thoughts are, There is no God."

                          This may be a minor quibble, but that verse doesn't
                          look anything like that in my Bible.

                          > The passage tells us that not only are all atheists
                          > FOOLS...

                          This passage doesn't say anything at all about atheists
                          being fools -- the word "fool" doesn't appear anywhere
                          in Psalm 10. Nor does "atheist" -- and in most Bible
                          translations verse 4 says something like the wicked man
                          does not have room for God in his thoughts -- not that
                          he has proclaimed himself to be an atheist.

                          > ...but also they are WICKED. I appreciate your
                          > bringing that to my attention, Rick. I'm sure the
                          > atheists feel much better now.

                          What I was trying to lead you to see is that these "wicked"
                          who are living as if there is no God are not "atheists" in
                          the sense that we use the term today, and that the same
                          sort of wickedness of Psalm 14 and 53 (and 36) is what we
                          see in Psalm 10 -- these are not "atheists" except in the
                          practical sense that they are living as if they don't fear
                          the judgment, which would make the term applicable, perhaps,
                          even to people like DB Willis.

                          > Of course there are wicked theists too. "11 He saith in
                          > his heart, God hath forgotten; He hideth his face; he
                          > will never see it."

                          I think it is obvious that this is the same "wicked" that
                          is being spoken of throughout Psalm 10.

                          The point about these Psalms is that people -- not
                          "atheists", Willis, but the wayward of Israel and the
                          enemies of David, are living as if there is not ever
                          going to be a final judgment by a Righteous Judge.

                          These Psalms are not meant for you to use in insulting
                          the people who need to come to the Lord. And they sure
                          aren't meant to be something you throw out at someone
                          in the place of a rational answer when they point out
                          the factual errors in your arguments.

                          You tell the atheist -- who might happen to know a little
                          something about science -- that he has to believe the
                          Earth is only a few thousand years old to be a good
                          Christian, and then you show him some of your bogus
                          young-earth "scientific evidence" and he tells you that
                          your evidence is nonsense, and so you call him a fool.

                          The devil had to stay up late one night to come up
                          with that tactic.

                          I had written:

                          >> How people live, DB Willis, rather than what they may
                          >> say with their mouths, is a better indication of what
                          >> they "have said in their heart". I think the Scriptures
                          >> will support that notion.

                          DB Willis replies:

                          > It is a nice try...to try to pin me with saying that
                          > how people live does not matter as long as they say
                          > (insincerely) that they believe in God. I do not say
                          > that. It shows desperation on your part to try to pin
                          > on me something I would never say...and you KNOW it.

                          I haven't said anything about what you would or wouldn't
                          say.

                          And again, you seem to be having a difficult time with
                          simple sentences. I said that how people live is an
                          indication of what they "have said in their heart", and
                          the reason I said it is because (1) you, like others,
                          seem to be determined to leave that part out of the verse,
                          and (2) pretend that these verses are directed specifically
                          to modern-day "atheists", when in fact they are better seen
                          as reminders to *us* that there is a time coming when God
                          will judge the living and the dead.

                          I had written:

                          >> I don't think that is what Robert is saying. He is
                          >> saying that the use of Psalm 14:1 to "prove" that
                          >> "all atheists are fools" is both logically false and
                          >> unsound biblical hermeneutics --

                          DB Willis replies:

                          > I proved by many scriptures that often this sort of
                          > wording is used to say "all those who...(insert)....are
                          > fools, wicked, evil, wise, blessed, etc."

                          Let me interrupt you here for just a moment to point out
                          that you snipped out the rest of my comment, which was:

                          >> -- even IF all atheists are fools that is not
                          >> what you, as a believer, are supposed to be
                          >> getting out of Psalm 14 or 53 (or 10).

                          Now, as to those Bible verses you provided in another
                          message, only *some* of them illustrate the sort of
                          conversion you are talking about, they are *proverbs*,
                          and *none* of them speak of the action in the past tense,
                          as in, "the fool *hath* said." Psalms and Proverbs
                          were written by different writers using different styles.

                          Regardless of that, there remains the problem of you
                          trying to say that ALL atheists have definitely said
                          in their hearts that there is no such thing as God.
                          I don't think all atheists will agree with you about
                          that. And as far as the characteristics of those fools
                          in the Psalms, there are certainly some atheists who
                          are more upright in these regards than some of these
                          supposed "preachers of righteousness" right here on
                          these lists, weighing out their tithes of cummin while
                          they gobble up widows' houses, who search the Scriptures,
                          for in them they think they can deny to others "eternal
                          life".

                          DB Willis says:

                          > Baty can squawk all day that I haven't given "evidence"
                          > for my "ipse dixit" but I did indeed provide the textual
                          > evidence. Any fair reader can easily see that, but I
                          > doubt there are many fair readers on Baty's list.

                          Comments like that can only serve to alienate you from
                          what few "fair readers" we do have.

                          > It is OBVIOUS from the immediate context of Ps. 14:1
                          > that a plurality is being referenced, not just a
                          > single man.

                          What is obvious from the context is that all of mankind
                          is being referenced in these verses.

                          > And it is obvious also from the broader context that
                          > this is a Hebrew idiom to say "all those who say there
                          > is no God are fools." He says of those who "seek not
                          > God" (:2) that they are "ALL gone aside" (:3), and
                          > "there is NONE of them that doeth good."

                          What do you mean, "none of *them*"? He says this of
                          "the children of men". He isn't saying that some small
                          bunch of fools has decided there is no God, He is saying
                          that all of mankind is gone astray, that there is NONE
                          that understands.

                          > Forget :1 if you want. :2-3 tells us plainly that all
                          > those who seek not God (which of course includes atheists,
                          > as well as negligent theists)...they are ALL gone aside
                          > and NONE of them do good."

                          What about those devout theists who are not "negligent" --
                          but just happen to be Muslims?

                          Atheists and negligent theists takes care of just about
                          the whole human race, wouldn't you say? So again, to say
                          based on these verses that all atheists are fools
                          does not put the theist who is doing the name-calling
                          on any moral high-ground.

                          > So whether you want to agree they are fools or not,
                          > atheists are ALL worthless in their present state and
                          > they will ALL be damned.

                          I think we understand that all atheists are under
                          condemnation, DB. But that doesn't mean that the atheist
                          is wrong about geology and astronomy and the age of the
                          Earth and everything else creationists are deliberately
                          ignorant of, ignorance they flaunt as if it were
                          something to be proud of, ignorance from which they make
                          claims about the real world and expect their claims to
                          be taken as fact. It doesn't mean that when somebody,
                          atheist or not, points out the false nature of the
                          creationists' claims, that the creationist is justified in
                          resorting to ad hominem remarks rather than correcting the
                          errors they have been spouting off from their own ignorance.

                          When you call the atheist a fool just because you don't
                          know doodlum about geology but have been yakking away as
                          if you did, what kind of witness is that? You certainly
                          aren't giving the atheist any reason to think that your
                          views may be correct.

                          If he can't believe you about earthly things, how is he
                          supposed to believe you about heavenly things?

                          > If you or Baty are claiming to be christians, you should
                          > stop comforting atheists to help them feel they are in
                          > less danger than they are. It is in direct defiance to
                          > what your Lord (if you claim Jesus is Lord) would want
                          > an atheist to feel.

                          So now DB Willis is claiming to speak for Jesus? If you
                          look at the words that Jesus actually spoke Himself, I
                          think you will find that His most severe condemnation
                          was for false teachers who claimed to speak for God.

                          I had said:

                          >> So you seem to understand here that people might not
                          >> take kindly to being arbitrarily called a "fool".

                          DB Willis replies:

                          > Neither I nor God arbitrarily calls anyone a fool. The
                          > atheists earn the title, and then I use it on them as
                          > God does.
                          >
                          > DW

                          I beg to differ. You use these verses in a way that God
                          does NOT. That's the point.

                          God knows what the children of men have said in their hearts.

                          You don't.

                          ----------------------------------
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 8, 2008
                            Robert,

                            These are good points you make about Psalm 10.

                            I think you get it!

                            Rick

                            --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Baty"

                          • DBWILLIS@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 8, 2008
                              David Willis here,

                              RB, instead of conjuring up in your paranoid head some deep dark sinister
                              "reason" for my not posting to FOT any more, just figure I am not wanting to
                              burden them further, esp. given that your side is not being posted there now.
                              I may or may not send to FOT, and I don't appreciate your ugly implications
                              of false motives you always like to try to attribute to me.

                              >> I would like to have their
                              details as to at least one "fool" referenced in Psalm 14:1 that does NOT say
                              in
                              his heart there is no God.

                              Or is it the case that my adversaries, "in their hearts", do actually agree
                              with
                              the that it is "all" the fools referenced in Psalm 14:1 that say in their
                              hearts
                              "there is no God"?

                              Those who are denounced in Ps. 14 include fools who say there is no God, and
                              then it gives other types of people who are denounced too. (Same goes for
                              Ps. 10 or 53.) It is very likely they may overlap, but possibly sometimes
                              they may not. Maybe some who did "no good" were neglectful theists. How that
                              helps someone NOT see atheists as fools is beyond me. Those who say "there
                              is no God" could well include some theists too, who are telling themselves that
                              in some insincere way (when they really know there IS a God). However, ALL
                              atheists say that so they ALL are fools.

                              Rick>>these are not "atheists" except in the
                              practical sense that they are living as if they don't fear
                              the judgment, which would make the term applicable, perhaps,
                              even to people like DB Willis.>>

                              Fine. I will accept that all strict atheists as well as practical atheists
                              (which could include even some claiming to be christians) are fools and
                              wicked.

                              >>And they sure
                              aren't meant to be something you throw out at someone
                              in the place of a rational answer when they point out
                              the factual errors in your arguments.>>

                              I don't use Ps. 14:1 to try to support my YE view at all. I would say the
                              same about the passage if I were AE.

                              >>You tell the atheist -- who might happen to know a little
                              something about science -- that he has to believe the
                              Earth is only a few thousand years old to be a good
                              Christian, and then you show him some of your bogus
                              young-earth "scientific evidence" and he tells you that
                              your evidence is nonsense, and so you call him a fool.

                              The devil had to stay up late one night to come up
                              with that tactic.>>

                              How late did he stay up with you to convince you to falsely accuse me of
                              that? Do you have a regularly scheduled appointment each night?

                              >>(2) pretend that these verses are directed specifically
                              to modern-day "atheists", when in fact they are better seen
                              as reminders to *us* that there is a time coming when God
                              will judge the living and the dead.>>

                              It applies to both. How much clearer do I need to say that for you? How
                              that helps you I just don't see. It still means that all (including atheists)
                              who have said that in their hearts...are fools.

                              >>they are *proverbs*,
                              and *none* of them speak of the action in the past tense,
                              as in, "the fool *hath* said.">>

                              How much Hebrew have you taken, Rick? Before posing as an expert it usually
                              helps to LEARN it before you attempt to TEACH it. This word "says" is not
                              in the past tense. It is in the Hebrew preterite tense which serves for
                              simple action whether past or present, much like the Greek aorist. "Saith" or
                              "says" is a perfectly fine way to express it. "Hath said" may also be, but it
                              surely is not the only or best way. Past is NOT exclusively the use of the
                              preterite. The ASV and ESV are both great tr's and one says "hath said" and
                              the other says "says." Stop the posing, Rick. You are no Hebrew expert.

                              _http://scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/psa14.pdf_
                              (http://scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/psa14.pdf) (this interlinear has it as
                              "he says")

                              >>>Regardless of that, there remains the problem of you
                              trying to say that ALL atheists have definitely said
                              in their hearts that there is no such thing as God.
                              I don't think all atheists will agree with you about
                              that.>>

                              Not buyin' it. It is stupid. The word means that! If you want to invent
                              new definitions then don't be surprised that you have trouble selling them.

                              >>And as far as the characteristics of those fools
                              in the Psalms, there are certainly some atheists who
                              are more upright in these regards than some of these
                              supposed "preachers of righteousness">>

                              If you want to say how great atheists are in other ways...how upright (or
                              whatever) they are....fine. They are still fools acc. to this passage.
                              Upright fools I guess.

                              >>weighing out their tithes of cummin while
                              they gobble up widows' houses, who search the Scriptures,
                              for in them they think they can deny to others "eternal
                              life".

                              Stop pretending I would defend some insincere or neglectful theist. I
                              don't. You just need a straw man to bash because you can't defeat a real one.

                              >>Atheists and negligent theists takes care of just about
                              the whole human race, wouldn't you say? So again, to say
                              based on these verses that all atheists are fools
                              does not put the theist who is doing the name-calling
                              on any moral high-ground.>>

                              Bash away at the straw man. I never have said that atheists are the only
                              fools...not even the only fools in this passage! But they all ARE fools.

                              >>I think we understand that all atheists are under
                              condemnation, DB. But that doesn't mean that the atheist
                              is wrong about geology and astronomy and the age of the
                              Earth and everything else creationists are deliberately
                              ignorant of, ignorance they flaunt as if it were
                              something to be proud of, ignorance from which they make
                              claims about the real world and expect their claims to
                              be taken as fact.>>

                              No one has said that. They may have lots of "knowledge" especially when
                              atheists are the ones doing the assessment of that. But smart people can be
                              moral fools. Theists with lots of "head smarts" can be fools too.

                              >>It doesn't mean that when somebody,
                              atheist or not, points out the false nature of the
                              creationists' claims, that the creationist is justified in
                              resorting to ad hominem remarks rather than correcting the
                              errors they have been spouting off from their own ignorance.

                              I agree that if someone tried to say, "this man is an atheist and therefore
                              for that reason alone he must be wrong on this point"....he would be wrong to
                              do that. Nobody I know of does that. You are bashing a straw man. Sounds
                              like YOU are the one using ad hominems.

                              >>You certainly
                              aren't giving the atheist any reason to think that your
                              views may be correct.>>

                              I totally agree that if all I said was "he is an atheist, atheists are fools
                              so they must be wrong on this scientific point for that reason alone"...I
                              have not given a good reason to him. So can we move on? The Bible still says
                              he is a fool. Saying he is a fool does not of itself mean that each argument
                              he uses has no "smart science" in it. It is his conclusion that makes him a
                              fool.

                              >>God knows what the children of men have said in their hearts.

                              You don't.

                              You are right. Unless the man tells me his true belief, however many
                              atheists do that. Perhaps some claimed theists are truly "closet atheists" or
                              "practical atheists" too. I am right to say "if he is really an atheist as he
                              said to me with his mouth, then he is indeed a fool". And I can also say, "if
                              he is really an atheist when he says with his mouth he is not...then he also
                              is a fool." BOTH say it in their heart. I honestly think it is foolish to
                              try to carve out some tiny group of "professed atheists who don't say in their
                              heart there is no God." That is ridiculous. That, by definition, is what
                              atheists DO.

                              (Carefully considering how many more pearls should be expended here).

                              DW

                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 8, 2008
                                DBWillis wrote to Rick, in part:

                                > You (Rick Hartzog) are no
                                > Hebrew expert.

                                We have noticed that DBWillis is NOT a Hebrew expert.

                                In fact, he hasn't even been able to find one Hebrew expert that will support his "ipse dixit idiom" claim as it relates to Psalm 14:1.

                                In fact, it appears from his latest messages that DBWillis, like Veto Roley abandoned his similar claim, is abandoning his ipse dixit idiom claim without being courteous enough to explicitly admit, explain and correct his error(s) related thereto.

                                Who knows, perhaps DBWillis is going to just wait, taking the position that someone else, somewhere else will eventually prove up his ipse dixit idiom claim.

                                Regarding the issue of DBWillis' posts ceasing to make it to the Focus_on_Truth list, DBWillis writes, in part:

                                > Just figure I am not wanting
                                > to burden them further...

                                Nah! I don't think I'll figure that's it at all!

                                DBWillis went on to write, in part:

                                > I don't appreciate your ugly
                                > implications of false motives...

                                How about that! For all that DBWillis and his kind have said and done with their false and misleading representations of me that I can't get them to admit, explain and correct, DBWillis proposes I am the one making "ugly accusations of false motives"!

                                Such has been typical in such discussions, and such provides further documentation regarding the application of the principles of Matthew 7:1,2 and James 3:1.

                                DBWillis and his kind can certainly dish it out, but they have been observed having a hard time "taking it"! In my case, they "dish out" in error while I return the "dish" most appropriately while awaiting their repentance and works meet for repentance:

                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 8, 2008
                                  I'm having another Matthew 7:1,2 / James 3:1 moment!

                                  Consider the following from DBWillis in another context and as he expresses concern about his adversary's position:

                                  > No, you added the last two words
                                  > ...to make it mean what YOU want
                                  > it to say, not what it says.

                                  > DBWillis

                                  -------------------------------------
                                  -------------------------------------

                                  "Get it"!

                                  DBWillis pulled out his ipse dixit idiom to twist around Psalm 14:1 to say what DBWillis wanted it to say instead of accepting what Psalm 14:1 does say, and then he goes off complaining, alleging that someone who doesn't agree with him is guilty of the same sort of thing.

                                  I win!

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 8, 2008
                                    Boy, I've seen some backhanded "apologies" before, but
                                    this one has to be right up there with the best of them...

                                    DB Willis now writes:

                                    > David Willis here,
                                    >
                                    > Rick, you flatter yourself to think that I have studied
                                    > your posts enough to know (or remember) whether you are
                                    > an atheist or not.

                                    Apparently it is DB Willis I have unjustifiably flattered,
                                    by assuming he would be able to remember our almost daily
                                    discussions that spanned a period of about three months,
                                    less than two years ago!

                                    > You can believe that or not, I really don't care. I
                                    > frankly don't pay as much attention to you as you fellas
                                    > seem to pay to me so as to allow me to keep that straight.

                                    If you aren't able to *keep* things straight, maybe it would
                                    serve you well to *get* them straight before you go passing
                                    out your UN-straight claims to others.

                                    > And I would bet I'm not the first one to be confused on
                                    > that matter either!

                                    No, there are a lot of young-earth creationists who seem
                                    to get "confused" about that, and start calling me an
                                    atheist! There is also a certain church of Christ
                                    "historian" who seems to be "confused" about it as well...

                                    Funny how that confusion seems to strike just when they
                                    are needing some way to vilify the person who is pointing
                                    out their errors!

                                    > I think I do pretty well to remember that Baty is not
                                    > one, actually considering how often he and others here
                                    > sound like one. You probably won't believe it, but I did
                                    > not intentionally misrepresent your view.

                                    Maybe it's just a manifestation of your subconscious -- you'll
                                    do it all the way through this message.

                                    On the other hand, maybe it isn't quite so unintentional as
                                    you would like people to believe, which is what I think the
                                    weight of the evidence will show.

                                    > I was speaking more broadly than the singular "you" and
                                    > figured that if you weren't an atheist yourself others who
                                    > read this list probably were.

                                    You figured wrong. That's because your mind is playing
                                    tricks on you.

                                    > Maybe it should concern you a little that a person who
                                    > has read some of your material would honestly not be
                                    > able to know or keep straight in his mind if you were or
                                    > weren't an atheist.

                                    The problem with keeping things straight in your mind is
                                    your own -- it doesn't have anything to do with me. It is
                                    a result of you and your like-minded brethren not being
                                    able to get your story straight. You build up this
                                    hypothetical alternate reality full of ad hoc excuses and
                                    you have to keep double-checking yourself for contradictions.

                                    Naturally, after a while you get "confused" and can't
                                    remember what all claims you have made and how it all has
                                    to fit together.

                                    So when somebody points out your confusion, they are
                                    threatening your "reality" and the only way to get rid of
                                    them is to write them off as being evil.

                                    I think I've got you pegged, Willis.

                                    > I know that would concern ME.

                                    Whatever! The only thing you have to do to get labelled
                                    an atheist around these parts is point out to some
                                    young-earth creationist that the stupid "moon recession"
                                    argument, even if the creationist's numbers were right,
                                    would still not make any sense.

                                    After it's happened a few times you figure out that if
                                    you are going to speak the truth, there are going to be
                                    creationists in the church of Christ calling you an
                                    atheist.

                                    That "concerns" me, all right, but not in the way you
                                    are implying it should.

                                    > I also know that "Todd Green" (if that is his real name)
                                    > used to operate under a cowardly false ID on Berean Spirit
                                    > as a theist when he was NOT one (Heiden was the last name...
                                    > forgot the first) and many, including myself GENEROUSLY
                                    > credited him erroneously with having faith when he did
                                    > NOT. So maybe that puts me even on that score.

                                    Ah, you must be referring to this little incident!:
                                    http://www.outersystem.us/creationism/steveheiden.html

                                    I think I have mentioned already that a further danger
                                    of calling someone a fool is that they might turn around
                                    and make a fool out of *you*:
                                    http://www.outersystem.us/creationism/steveheiden12.html

                                    That has to be embarrassing.

                                    An interesting point about this is that you are accusing
                                    Todd of duplicity on a list where you were deliberately
                                    misrepresenting the Laetoli tracks:
                                    http://www.outersystem.us/creationism/footprints.html

                                    > I sort of figured that someone IDing himself as a member
                                    > of "the church of Latitudinarianism" (whatever THAT is...
                                    > sounds totally bogus to me) was also likely pretending
                                    > to be religious when he really isn't...sort of like how
                                    > Barry Lynn (famous atheist) pretends to be a Rev. and
                                    > head of some fake church just to mock those with real
                                    > religious conviction. If that really is a church, you
                                    > all maybe should think of coming up with another name that
                                    > isn't so hokey-sounding so others won't figure it is meant
                                    > as a joke.

                                    1) There you go "figuring" again.
                                    2) Maybe you should do a little historical research
                                    on those who were labelled "latitudinarians".
                                    3) Your "religious convictions" may be real, but your
                                    young-earth dogma is wrong.
                                    4) But the truth of the matter is that you do very
                                    well remember me and you are trying to justify your
                                    recent accusation with further insinuations.

                                    DB, I've had enough experience with you to know what kind
                                    of weasel you are -- I've told you that over and over.
                                    You might be fooling some of the folks on the other list
                                    with your one-sided posting, but you are not fooling me.

                                    > I honestly did not know that you were not an atheist
                                    > or mocking those with faith.

                                    Well, DB Willis, I honestly don't believe that. I just
                                    don't believe you have forgotten our many discussions so
                                    thoroughly and so quickly as all of that.

                                    And does anyone see the similarity here in DB Willis trying
                                    to justify calling me an atheist because he "didn't know" I
                                    was NOT one, and Jerry McDonald refusing to retract his
                                    claim that Nick Capaldi is an atheist until Capaldi writes
                                    to him personally and tells him otherwise?

                                    > You may think I SHOULD have known but frankly I don't
                                    > recall enough of your position on anything except AE
                                    > and did not take time to review anything you wrote to
                                    > try to figure that out.

                                    Here is the link to the list where you tracked us down,
                                    after you got mad and ran off from the discussion on the
                                    Maury_and_Baty list:

                                    That was *after* I told you that any more personal
                                    e-mails from you would be posted directly to the lists.

                                    > The fact that you sometimes refer to scripture would
                                    > not nec. mean you weren't doing the same as what Satan
                                    > did in Mt. 4.

                                    And the fact that you claim to be David Willis from
                                    Indiana doesn't mean that you are NOT a nightclub dancer
                                    named Giselle from down around New Orleans, either.

                                    But in general, negative evidence isn't very compelling,
                                    now is it?

                                    > Oh, that's right. I'm dissing Satan some by lumping him
                                    > in with atheists...he hasn't gotten quite THAT depraved
                                    > enough yet to say there is no God. He and his demons
                                    > believe what others including I think at least ONE on
                                    > this list are too foolish to believe.

                                    You're a real sweetheart, DB.

                                    > But I guess Satan MAY be rightly lumped with some others
                                    > who try to defend atheists like those on the Baty list
                                    > so often do.

                                    OK, here is a truth claim from DB Willis: that those on
                                    the Baty list often defend atheists.

                                    Back up your claim, Willis.

                                    I say you are making stuff up.

                                    Now produce the evidence for what you just said.

                                    > I was not intending to only be addressing you...or even
                                    > nec. addressing you at all directly when I said (as I
                                    > recall) "you atheists".

                                    As you "recall"?

                                    As I recall, it seemed pretty well pointed. And I don't
                                    really have to trust to my recollections about this, because
                                    there is the message right there on the list, #15313.

                                    > I do know that you sure seem defensive for those who
                                    > ARE atheists being called fools. Maybe I just figured
                                    > that the hit dog was the one was doing so much howling.

                                    OK -- first you "don't remember" and I am just flattering
                                    myself to think you should. Then, based on what you have
                                    read from me, or so you claim, you really couldn't tell
                                    whether I am an atheist or not. Then it has something to
                                    do with me signing my posts as the WWCL. Then there is
                                    the fact that Satan quoted Scripture. Then there is
                                    the way those on the Baty list "so often" defend atheists.
                                    And then I seem "defensive" about atheists being called fools.

                                    In all of this, DB Willis, you have not once stopped to
                                    take the blame yourself for your own false testimony --
                                    it's all my fault that you got the idea that I'm an
                                    atheist.

                                    I say BULL to all of that.

                                    > I apologize that my comments slandered you by lumping
                                    > you in with atheists if you really are not one.
                                    > However, I am not sure if you are a notch or two above
                                    > them or below them. Really.

                                    I do hope our fair readers are paying attention to
                                    this humble apology.

                                    As I have said in the past, young-earth creationists are
                                    their own worst enemy. All you have to do is keep them
                                    talking.

                                    > (And of COURSE I mean in your present state as I see it.

                                    As YOU see it? Why should I care how YOU see my "present
                                    state"? I am very well aware of how your kind see my
                                    present state -- and WHY you see it the way you do.

                                    > We all are mere sinners needing forgiveness by faith
                                    > and obedience to Christ and are not worth anything of
                                    > our own merit).

                                    While this is true, what DB Willis and his kind really
                                    mean by this is you must have faith in and obedience to
                                    what THEY say constitutes "faith and obedience to Christ" --
                                    in other words, become twofold the child of hell.

                                    They don't tell you this up front.

                                    > If I should have limited my "insults" (insults which
                                    > come directly from God's word) to Todd as being the
                                    > only one who is a fool here because of his atheism
                                    > while others are in a bad state for other reasons
                                    > including defending atheists and contradicting scripture,
                                    > then you have my apology for that error.

                                    Does anyone really see an "apology" in what DB Willis says
                                    here?

                                    Read it again. I've read it a few times and can't find
                                    the apology -- I see a hypothetical proposition, the
                                    antecedent of which does not appear to be true.

                                    What do you think, Robert?

                                    But anyway...

                                    Who has defended atheists, DB Willis?

                                    All I'm trying to do is defend the truth, and part of that
                                    truth is that you don't have any business going around and
                                    calling people fools based on your own apparently misguided
                                    understanding of the Bible.

                                    And who has contradicted Scripture?

                                    It seems to me that it is you, and some others with your
                                    same hateful attitude, who are misusing the Scriptures.

                                    Now start digging through the archives here and come
                                    up with that evidence that the ones on this list "so
                                    often defend atheists".

                                    I DO NOT mean agreeing with the atheist on matters of
                                    empirical fact, such as the Earth orbiting the Sun or
                                    the Universe being billions of years old, "taking the
                                    side of the atheist against faithful brothers in Christ"
                                    who are lying up one side and down the other -- I mean
                                    show the evidence that we defend atheists.

                                    > Also, I am pretty sure that your idea of what is a
                                    > theist and mine may differ.

                                    We've already had this discussion in the course of the
                                    "Earth Centered Universe" argument. Once I pointed out
                                    that the "atheist cosmologist" you were quoting was a
                                    well known theist (George Ellis) you started trying to
                                    qualify what "theist" meant and saying that he was
                                    still using "atheistic" philosophy.

                                    > For you to invent some wacky distinction between an
                                    > atheist and someone who "says in his heart there is no
                                    > God"...as IF the atheist is not as bad...is good enough
                                    > reason for me to think your threshold for thinking someone
                                    > is really an atheist is too high. (Or maybe it would be
                                    > "too low.") I frankly don't even want to try to understand
                                    > the silly distinction you have invented in your head on
                                    > that one.

                                    I'm not the one who invented it.

                                    Atheists don't have a code-book and set of bylaws that they
                                    all have to go by to be in the Atheist Club, nor do they all
                                    share the same philosophy or the same approach to epistemology --
                                    they are people with different backgrounds, different
                                    personalities, and different views as to what qualifies as
                                    "knowledge" and "evidence".

                                    I won't bother you with all the nuances of logic that may
                                    come into play when you are arguing for the existence of
                                    God with various brands of non-believers, but in a lot of ways
                                    a dyed-in-the-wool agnostic may be harder to reason with than
                                    certain atheistic thinkers.

                                    But it is wrong for you to make up your own definition of
                                    "atheist" and try to apply that across the board to everyone
                                    who has a lack of faith.

                                    > I am not going to rehash the YE/AE discussion.

                                    Didn't figure you would -- not around here, anyway.

                                    > If you enjoy exchanges with YE's from time to time and
                                    > want more of that, then try to be less nasty next time
                                    > you get the chance when a YE visits your site.

                                    Not too many YECs drop by here, but that doesn't have anything
                                    to do with anyone here being "nasty" to them. It's because
                                    they can't defend their bogus science and their narrow-minded
                                    theology in an open, public forum, and they very well know
                                    that -- just as you know it, too, DB Willis.

                                    YECs live in a fantasy world that cannot withstand the light
                                    of day and rational discussion, as you yourself have so
                                    amply demonstrated. That isn't being nasty, DB. That's
                                    just reality.

                                    > I have said about all I want to say on Baty's list this
                                    > time around.

                                    Not so fast. You need to be presenting the evidence
                                    for that claim of yours.

                                    > I do respect Baty for allowing my posts...which shows
                                    > character that other list owners sometimes don't show.

                                    We do like everything to be out in the open around here.

                                    > However, in other ways, I don't care much for the tactics
                                    > you guys permit yourselves here.

                                    Of course you don't. Staying on topic and presenting
                                    evidence for your claims is not your strong suit. You
                                    prefer to slip around with personal e-mails labelled
                                    "private" and posting one-sided discussions to other
                                    lists.

                                    > Baty acts like he is not just a participant in a discussion
                                    > but a self-appointed judge and jury as well on who does or
                                    > doesn't need to repent or be "shamed".

                                    The demonstration of those who refuse to repent -- those
                                    who have no shame -- is instructive as well.

                                    > And bottom line is that I figure I would risk disobeying
                                    > Christ's command about casting pearls if I take much more
                                    > time with you guys here.

                                    You don't have any pearls, which is exactly what I told you
                                    the last time you used that transparent excuse. Neither do
                                    you have any reason for calling anybody here "swine". You're
                                    just another young-earth creationist who can't defend your
                                    theology.

                                    > All atheists are indeed fools. But they are not the only
                                    > fools.
                                    >
                                    > DW

                                    So I've heard. Now get busy producing the evidence
                                    for your claim that "the Baty list so often defends
                                    atheists".

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 8, 2008
                                      Rick,

                                      In answer to your question to me, I saw an argument from DBWillis which he appears to have designed specifically to NOT "apologize"!

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 8, 2008
                                        I had written (in part):

                                        >> These Psalms are not meant for you to use in insulting
                                        >> the people who need to come to the Lord. And they sure
                                        >> aren't meant to be something you throw out at someone
                                        >> in the place of a rational answer when they point out
                                        >> the factual errors in your arguments.
                                        >>
                                        >> You tell the atheist -- who might happen to know a little
                                        >> something about science -- that he has to believe the
                                        >> Earth is only a few thousand years old to be a good
                                        >> Christian, and then you show him some of your bogus
                                        >> young-earth "scientific evidence" and he tells you that
                                        >> your evidence is nonsense, and so you call him a fool.
                                        >>
                                        >> The devil had to stay up late one night to come up
                                        >> with that tactic.

                                        DB Willis now replies (in relevant parts):

                                        > I don't use Ps. 14:1 to try to support my
                                        > YE view at all. I would say the
                                        > same about the passage if I were AE.
                                        >
                                        > >>You tell the atheist -- who might happen to know a little
                                        > something about science -- that he has to believe the
                                        > Earth is only a few thousand years old to be a good
                                        > Christian, and then you show him some of your bogus
                                        > young-earth "scientific evidence" and he tells you that
                                        > your evidence is nonsense, and so you call him a fool.
                                        >
                                        > The devil had to stay up late one night to come up
                                        > with that tactic.>>
                                        >
                                        > How late did he stay up with you to convince you to
                                        > falsely accuse me of that? Do you have a regularly
                                        > scheduled appointment each night?

                                        > I agree that if someone tried to say, "this man is
                                        > an atheist and therefore for that reason alone he
                                        > must be wrong on this point"....he would be wrong
                                        > to do that.

                                        > Nobody I know of does that.

                                        > You are bashing a straw man. Sounds
                                        > like YOU are the one using ad hominems.

                                        > I totally agree that if all I said was "he is
                                        > an atheist, atheists are fools so they must be
                                        > wrong on this scientific point for that reason
                                        > alone"...I have not given a good reason to him.

                                        > So can we move on? The Bible still says
                                        > he is a fool. Saying he is a fool does not
                                        > of itself mean that each argument he uses has
                                        > no "smart science" in it. It is his conclusion
                                        > that makes him a fool.

                                        After three months of unsuccessfully trying to bamboozle us
                                        with such YEC gems as the "Laetoli footprints are from
                                        modern humans" claim, the "eye proteins from shrews and
                                        elephants are too similar" claim, the old "not enough salt
                                        in the sea" argument, Keith Sisman's stupid "moon recession"
                                        claim, the "too much helium in zircons" claim, the "Earth is
                                        at the center of the Universe" claim, and his forlorn attempt
                                        at defending the theologically and empirically bankrupt
                                        "apparent age" excuse, DB Willis wrote:

                                        from:

                                        (December 14, 2006)

                                        | Subject: Three Fools
                                        |

                                        | The fool has said in his heart there is no God.
                                        |
                                        | Another fool has said in his heart God cannot
                                        | create mature things instantly.
                                        |
                                        | Another fool has said in his heart that there is
                                        | some reason that God WOULD not create mature things
                                        | instantly.
                                        |
                                        | They are ALL FOOLS.
                                        |
                                        | DW

                                        Anybody want to take a stab at guessing who those three
                                        "fools" are that DB Willis is talking about here?