Re: Shame on Terry W. Benton...again!

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 5, 2008
      I have just submitted my third attempt to reply to Terry W. Benton on the Focus_on_Truth list. The two previous submissions never posted. We will see what kind of list Focus_on_Truth is as my third submission is considered.

      In the meantime, DBWillis has taken to that list to comment on the Psalm 14 issue under consideration. Many may recall DBWillis' failed efforts here on other matters.

      In any case, DBWillis entry into the discussion over there will add to the interest and context in which it may be the case that I am not going to be allowed to respond further over there.

      Following are DBWillis two submissions on the topic:

      From: DBWillis@...
      To: Focus_On_Truth@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, September 5, 2008 4:54 PM

      Subject: [Focus_On_Truth] Re: Necessity of Hermeneutics: Valentine Blog

      David Willis here,

      Robert Baty tried to contradict scripture using his "logical" analysis.

      >> The atheist says the earth
      >> moves around the sun

      >> The Christian says the earth
      >> moves around the sun.

      >> Therefore, the Christian is
      >> an atheist.

      > In the formal analysis elsewhere,
      > the fallacy has been more formerly
      > described as that of

      >> "the undistributed middle term".

      What RB is failing to see is that the wording in Ps. 53:1 is idiomatic for the following:

      > Anyone who says there is
      > no God is a fool.

      That is a true statement, therefore the conclusion is true, that all atheists are fools.

      However, it is not a true statement to say:

      > Anyone who says the earth
      > moves around the sun is an
      > atheist.

      So the syllogism's conclusion is false because the first premise is false.

      DW

      --------------------------------------
      --------------------------------------

      From: DBWillis@...
      To: Focus_On_Truth@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, September 5, 2008 4:02 PM

      David Willis here,

      Thanks for asking for my opinion Robert!

      I'll be glad to give it to you.

      My objective opinion is that anyone who uses wacky reasoning like yours to say that an atheist is not a fool, probably is one himself.

      I don't care what rule of logic you think is violated, if your opinion is that an atheist is not a fool, then you are no christian...not a faithful one anyway.

      Do you claim to be one, Robert?

      You seem to make it your specialty to defend atheists and their arguments.

      I can't figure if you even CLAIM to be a christian.

      Do you?

      DW

      My further comments:

      I will consider responding to DBWillis in the near future, and I will be sending him a private note advising him that, if he wishes to consider the Psalm 14:1 issue, he may have to come around here to take up a more open, honest discussion than is presently allowed on the Focus_on_Truth list.