Karl W. Giberson's book has now been released!

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 13, 2008
      http://www.gordon.edu/article.cfm?iArticleID=530&iReferrerPageID=5&iPrevCatID=30&bLive=1

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      May 31, 2008

      MEDIA CONTACT
      Cyndi McMahon
      Office of College Communications
      cyndi.mcmahongordon.edu
      978.867.4236

      WENHAM, MA - "You can still be a Christian and support the idea of evolution," says Karl Giberson, Director of Forum on Faith and Science at Gordon College. His new book, Saving Darwin: How to be a Christian and Believe in Evolution, will be released in mid-June by HarperOne Publishers. Giberson hopes thebook will "help readers understand how evolution became the central player in America's culture war over science and religion, even though it is not the enemy of the Christian faith."

      Saving Darwin explores the history of the controversy that swirls around evolution, showing why--and how--it is possible to believe in God and evolution at the same time. With an introduction by Francis S. Collins, Saving Darwin offers a way to reconcile the ever-growing divide between science and religious belief.

      "A much-needed book . . . a powerful contribution."
      -Francis S. Collins, author of The Language of God

      "In this truly courageous work meant to liberate narrow worldviews with the light emanating from profound Christian faith and indisputable reason, Giberson does not posit theology over science or fact over belief but instead celebrates the values intrinsic to both."
      -Library Journal

      "Giberson has a native understanding of how conservative Christians feel and think about evolution . . . he sketches an engaging historical narrative."
      -Publishers Weekly

      Giberson, who joined the Center for Christian Studies at Gordon College in 2007, is passionate about science. "His work at the College helps to provide a public voice to Gordon's emphasis on the sciences through guest speakers and seminars," says Dan Russ, Director for the Center for Christian Studies. In addition to the release of his new book, and his work at Gordon College, he is in the process of developing a new science-writing program to help educate a generation of scientists and journalists who can write on questions of science and faith."

      Giberson is also a professor of physics at Eastern Nazarene College in Quincy, and formerly served as the editor of Science & Theology News and Science & Spirit. His books include Worlds Apart: The Unholy War Between Religion and Science; Species of Origins: America's Search for a Creation Story (with Donald Yerxa); and The Oracles of Science: Celebrity Scientists Versus God and Religion (with Spanish philosopher Mariano Artigas).

      For information or to request an interview, contact Cyndi McMahon in the Office of College Communications at 978.867.4236 or visit the Center for Christian Studies web site at www.gordon.edu/ccs.

      ------------------------------

      Gordon College in Wenham, Massachusetts, is among the top Christian colleges in the nation and the only nondenominational Christian College in New England. Gordon is committed to excellence in liberal arts education, spiritual development and academic freedom informed by a framework of faith
      Gordon College, 255 Grapevine Road, Wenham, MA 01984 Telephone (978) 927-2300

      ----------------------------
      ----------------------------

      My comments:

      Karl was similar to Todd. Karl started out having Henry Morris as one of his boyhood heroes and had intentions to master the art of "young-earth" Christian Apologetics.

      Karl ultimately "evolved" away from his "fundamentalist" beginnings.

      I was recently given a copy of the book. It makes a good read and includes some references to some of the latest developments in the ongoing controversy.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 13, 2008
        I had written, in part:

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 13, 2008
          Here's another most interesting observation from Karl regarding the Arkansas creationism law trial, page 102:

          > "The creation scientists who were called
          > (Robert Gentry & Donald Chittick)
          > made it clear that their primary
          > allegiance was to the Bible, not to
          > science. And, although they were