On again, off again -- when are negotiations not negotiations?

    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2008
      I just got the home page updated to reflect Jerry McDonald's
      withdrawal from the debate negotiations, and here comes
      McDonald back to the table with a pending message, apparently
      wanting to negotiate without negotiating.

      This should be interesting.

      Rick

      --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Baty" <rlbaty@...>
      wrote:

      > Jerry McDonald recently withdrew from our negotiations for a Belle,
      MO/Ft Collins, CO debate.

      > Clearly implied in such a unilateral action, and as a consequence
      of such withdrawal, Jerry McDonald has "backed out" of the proposed
      debate.

      > Of that there can be no mistake in the minds of reasonable people.
      >
      > However, there are many unreasonable folk around and so this note
      seems appropriate should some of them pass this way.

      > Jerry McDonald has now been going about his public rounds claiming
      he's just going to show up in Ft. Collins, CO some time or another
      this summer for purposes of debating me.

      > The point of this message is simply to point out what reasonable
      minds all recognize.

      > That is, what Jerry McDonald is now proposing is something quite
      different than the mutually agreed upon Belle, MO/Ft. Collins, CO
      debate for which we were negotiating.

      > As was noted when Jerry McDonald backed out of the negotiations
      and, by implication, the Belle, MO/Ft. Collins, CO debate, should
      Jerry McDonald be serious about a formal, oral, public debate with me
      regarding issues of mutual interest, he now has some reasonable
      things to do in order to demonstrate that he is "man-up" to producing
      an honorable discussion with me

      > Jerry McDonald has given no indication that he has the "man-up" in
      him so as to engage me in an honorable discussion.

      > Yet, I remain ready, willing and able to take up the negotiations
      again for the Belle, MO/Ft. Collins, CO debate. We had agreed on
      much and there wasn't much left to do.

      > For now, make no mistake, Jerry McDonald may propose "a" debate all
      he wants, but he has backed out of "the" McDonald/Baty Belle, MO/Ft.
      Collins, CO debate.