Re: Apologetics Press Form 990 - 2006!

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7, 2008
      --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, "w_w_c_l"
      <w_w_c_l@...> wrote:

      > --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com,
      > "w_w_c_l" <w_w_c_l@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com,
      > > "Robert Baty" <rlbaty@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Here's information from our archives regarding
      > > > what Apologetics Press was reporting in 2003:

      > > > Board of Directors:
      > > >
      > > > Bert Thompson, President (salary 0)
      > > > J.R. Clark, Vice President (salary 0)
      > > > Jim Estabrook, Treasurer (salary $45,600)
      > > >
      > > > Fiscal Year 2003 Totals:
      > > >
      > > > Revenue: $573,424 [contributions (539,605) and sales (33,619)]
      > >
      > > 2005: $862,984
      > >
      > > > Expenses: $553,977 [program services only; no administrative
      > > > costs]
      > >
      > > 2005: $845,838
      > >

      > > Robert,
      > >
      > > I didn't write the number down but I think the sales
      > > of their merchandise (books, videos, etc.) dropped in
      > > 2005 from what you had here.
      >
      > I went back and checked -- net sales was $30,793 -- down
      > almost $3,000 from 2003.
      >
      > I expect the 2006 records will be interesting to see...
      >
      > > 2005 is the last year available so far. There are other
      > > records but they require the "premium" subscription to
      > > view them.
      > >
      > > That big jump in expenses may have something to do with
      > > all those trips back to the Tellicoe conducting their
      > > "behind-the-scenes" investigation as to how that fishing
      > > reel got stuck in that piece of metamorphic rock, no?
      > >
      > > And how the director of their "Science Department" could
      > > have been fooled by it?
      > >

      > > > That Guidestar website for Form 990 information is:
      > > >
      > > > http://www.guidestar.org/
      > > >
      > > > Sincerely,
      > > > Robert Baty
      > >
      > > Guess we may have to wait a while for long-term trends
      > > to be discernible...
      > >

      > > Rick

      Now, this seems odd to me. Their profit on sales was $33,619
      in 2003, $30,793 in 2005, but in 2006 it jumped to $229,274.
      That's a pretty good bump!

      But contributions fell from $832,191 in 2005 to $490,502
      in 2006.

      In previous years, while Bert was there, it looks like the
      cost of their materials about 90% of their sales, but for
      2006 their costs were only about 36% of sales. And in
      spite of the scandal, gross sales actually increased by
      about $20,000 for 2006.

      Huh.

      Any suggestions as to what's going on?

      Rick