Re: Your Response To Thomas' article

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2008
      --- In Maury_and_Baty, Jerry McDonald wrote (post #14293):
      > Todd, do you remember what post you wanted to use as
      > your response to Thomas' article on "The Age of the
      > Earth"? I need to know what it is if you want it to go
      > in the next issue of Challenge.
      >
      > In Christ Jesus
      > Jerry D. McDonald

      Jerry, here are the links to the two posts I made related to Thomas'
      article:

      The first is the primary one, and the second was a follow-up regarding
      just one of the points I had made in the first one.

      I believe Rick Hartzog made some posts about Thomas' article as well.

      - Todd Greene
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2008
        <greeneto@...> wrote:

        > --- In Maury_and_Baty, Jerry McDonald wrote (post #14293):
        > > Todd, do you remember what post you wanted to use as
        > > your response to Thomas' article on "The Age of the
        > > Earth"? I need to know what it is if you want it to go
        > > in the next issue of Challenge.
        > >
        > > In Christ Jesus
        > > Jerry D. McDonald
        >
        > Jerry, here are the links to the two posts I made
        > related to Thomas' article:

        > The first is the primary one, and the second was a follow-up
        > regarding just one of the points I had made in the first one.
        >
        > I believe Rick Hartzog made some posts about Thomas' article
        > as well.

        Yeah, my main point, though, was that Jerry was the one who
        should be held accountable for the poor quality of Thomas's
        article. Jerry does a lot better job editing his own
        material than what we saw from Thomas -- it's almost as if
        Jerry published Thomas's article "as is" to deliberately make
        Thomas look bad.

        My secondary point was that the age of the world's oldest
        living thing (in this case, coral reef) is not evidence
        for the age of the world itself, anymore than the age of
        the oldest bacterium in a Petri dish tells us how old the
        Petri dish is.

        A third point was that plants can't live on a planet without
        a Sun, whether it's for a billion years or a single day or
        even five minutes.

        I had copied Thomas's article into Works and color-coded it
        with my responses like McDonald does, and I asked McDonald
        about formats and deadlines for submitting it but couldn't
        get a straight answer out of him, so I let it pass.

        I was a lot more interested in debunking McDonald's silliness
        about thermodynamics anyway. Of course, as things drug on
        and on with McDonald's SN 1987A project and his many other
        more pressing responsibilities (such as removing the numerous
        lies we have identified on his website), I kinda lost interest
        in trying to explain thermodynamics to Jerry, considering
        all those months we had just spent on simple logical validity.

        As things worked out, it's probably for the best, Todd.
        If Thomas is like Jerry, and is actually of the opinion
        that "there isn't a nickel's worth of difference" between
        an old-earth creationist and an atheist, that if some thing
        is more than a few thousand years old then the Bible isn't
        true, he'll probably have to be led out of that delusion
        with gentle baby steps. And a nose ring.

        Rick Hartzog
        Worldwide Church of Latitudinarianism