Yet again, proof creationism based on scientific illiteracy

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2008
      Excerpt from:
      http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/full/22/1/1?etoc

      Evolution and Its Discontents: A Role for Scientists in Science Education
      [a report on results of a recent survey]
      (Journal of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental
      Biology [FASEB], Jan. 2008)

      A recent study shows that acceptance is negatively correlated with
      fundamentalist religious beliefs and politicization of science and
      positively correlated with genetics literacy (2) . While we did not
      examine genetics literacy in particular, we did find a connection
      between respondents' views on evolution education and their answers to
      three scientific questions (Fig. 2 ). Although 69% of survey
      participants had some college education (27% were college graduates,
      and 14% had attended graduate school), only 23% gave correct responses
      to all three of the following statements: the continents or land
      masses on which we live have been moving for millions of years and
      will continue to move in the future (79% correctly agreed);
      antibiotics kill viruses as well as bacteria (43% correctly
      disagreed); the earliest humans lived at the same time as the
      dinosaurs (53% correctly disagreed). Respondents who answered all
      three questions correctly were much more likely to respond that humans
      and other living things evolved (78%) rather than that they were
      created in their present form (11%), and more favored teaching
      evolution (78%) than creationism (27%) or intelligent design (24%). In
      contrast, respondents who answered fewer than two questions correctly
      were less likely to accept that life evolved (36%) rather than to
      believe it was created in its present form (47%), and they were about
      as likely to favor teaching evolution (36%) as creationism (38%) and
      intelligent design (29%).
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2008
        <greeneto@...> wrote:

        > Excerpt from:
        > http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/full/22/1/1?etoc

        > Evolution and Its Discontents:
        > A Role for Scientists in Science Education
        > [a report on results of a recent survey]
        > (Journal of the Federation of American Societies
        > for Experimental Biology [FASEB], Jan. 2008)

        At last!

        A scientific survey on this subject that has actually
        been conducted *scientifically*! I have long suspected
        that these surveys we have heard so much about (from
        the creationism supporters) would have different results
        if they were conducted (and reported!) according to
        stricter standards. Some of the ones we have seen in
        the past have had questions that might be considered
        "loaded" or "leading", encouraging respondents to give
        certain answers.

        I haven't gotten to go through the Materials and Methods
        yet (linked at the bottom) but the report itself is
        well done.

        Still, I think the *best* survey is going to have to be
        written by people who understand not only the science
        but the creation "science", and the theological
        implications as perceived by America's Protestants. You
        can't just sit down and throw one of these surveys together
        overnight.

        But until that happens, I foresee this particular study
        becoming the standard reference we will be hearing about
        for a while to come.

        (By the way, Todd, did you notice the quote about how
        biological evolution is such an excellent topic for
        teaching about how SCIENCE is conducted, and how
        SCIENTIFIC METHODOLOGY is such a widely-adaptable tool
        for teaching things like LOGIC and CRITICAL THINKING?)

        I might have some additional thoughts about the results
        of this study, after I have had a chance to spend some
        time going through it (for example, what are the most
        important benefits of scientific investigation).

        Rick Hartzog
        Worldwide Church of Latitudinarianism