Re: Maybe against my better judgment, but still...

    Message 1 of 37 , Jan 4, 2008
      --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, "w_w_c_l"
      <w_w_c_l@...> wrote (in part, full text below):

      > | Except for a couple of little snippets that I'm not going to
      > | be able to resist pointing out to everyone ahead of time,
      > | I have no plans of responding to your [Jerry McDonald's]
      > | Completely. Right down to the links at the bottom of the
      > | message.

      Another snippet from McDonald's exposition of SN 1987A, and
      how it is that we are able to see events that happened
      hundreds of thousands of light-years away, and therefore
      hundreds of thousands of years in the past, if the Universe
      is only a few thousand years old:

      Recall that McDonald has been quoting (repeatedly, even though
      irrelevantly) from Chaisson and McMillan, *Astronomy Today*
      for several weeks now, the same few quotes over and over while
      basically ignoring *everything* that this astronomy textbook
      has to say about the age of the Universe and the distance to
      stars and how stars are formed and, well, everything. And all
      this time McDonald has been consistently misspelling the last
      name of one of the authors, and I finally pointed this out:

      Hartzog:

      >> And by the way; it's McMillan, not "McMillian".

      McDonald:

      > You're right, it isn't McMillian, it is McMillan! I made a
      > simple error in spelling his name. I do sincerely apologize
      > for that devastating mistake. Is that the best you've got?
      > That reminds me of the Holmes-Cobb fight in 82. Holmes was
      > beating Cobb so bad that it made Holmes look bad. It was so
      > terrible that this was the last fight that Howard Cozel
      > ever narrated...

      Um, by the way, it's Cosell, not "Cozel"...

      ;-)

      Rick Hartzog
      Worldwide Church of Latitudinarianism

      Message 37 of 37 , Jan 23, 2008
        In "McDonald's Second Rebuttal," message #13821, Jerry wrote:

        > (Robert) seems to think that I hold to the position
        > that YEC is science, I'm really sorry, but I don't
        > hold to that position. I also don't hold to the
        > position that OEC is science. I also don't hold to
        > the position that evolution is science. None of it is
        > science because none of it can be tested scientifically.
        > He is the one who says that YEC is claimed to be science,
        > I never have. In our first debate I said that I wasn't
        > dealing with science because it isn't a scientific subject.

        Interesting!

        I distinctly remember that in the first Baty-McDonald debate
        Jerry McDonald used at least *three* "young-earth creation-
        science" arguments: the "Field of Botany" argument, the
        "Sea's Missing Salt" argument, and the "World's Oldest Coral
        Reef" argument!

        I also clearly remember that Jerry's son, Thomas McDonald,
        appeals to the "Field of Botany" argument and the "Rapid
        Growth of Coral Reefs" argument in *his* very recent article
        about the age of the Earth!

        Jerry McDonald also has an article about the kingdom of Ai
        which purports to show, "scientifically", where and when Ai
        really was.

        But now Jerry is effectively admitting that he, like us,
        doesn't really believe any of that nonsense anyway.

        Maybe he should explain to son Thomas that there is NO
        scientific evidence that the Earth is only a few thousand
        years old, because the last sentence of Thomas's article
        says otherwise!

        Thomas says:

        >| "Thus by just looking at the Bible, and real world
        >| evidence we can see that the Earth can be no more
        >| than a few 1,000 [sic] years old."
        http://www.challenge2.org/ageofearthbible.html

        Jerry, where did your son get such notions?

        But Jerry also says:

        > There is no "empirical evidence" which shows that
        > there are some things more than 10,000 years old.

        Since Jerry, as he has revealed over and over again, doesn't
        even know what "empirical evidence" is, this claim from him
        is completely without merit -- not to mention completely
        false. There are mountains and mountains of genuine, valid,
        scientific, empirical evidence that the Earth and Universe
        are far, far older than any 10,000 years -- evidence which
        Jerry McDonald simply says does not exist. Jerry can try
        to weasel around with what "empirical" means all he wants;
        whether Jerry can experientially "sense" all that evidence
        or not, everybody else can.

        Yet Jerry claims:

        > None of it is science because none of it can be tested
        > scientifically.

        Now... this is from some guy who has never had a college
        science class in his life, and who it seems very doubtful
        did very well in any science classes he had in high school
        (if any), pretending he is going to tell us what science is,
        and what can and cannot be scientifically tested, and what
        constitutes empirical evidence, *and expect somebody to
        believe him*.

        Give me a break!

        I mean, really, Jerry: GIVE ME A BREAK!

        It most certainly *can* be scientifically tested whether
        the Earth is only 6,000 or 10,000 years old. It most
        certainly can be scientifically tested whether humans had
        agriculture and metallurgy and textiles and "cities" within
        the first one or two thousand years of their existence.

        And it most certainly can be scientifically tested whether
        there was some sort of massive "gravitational time dilation"
        going on in this part of the galaxy a few thousand years ago.

        Because Jerry also claims:

        > I used a model from Dr. Russell Humphreys to show how
        > the light could have traveled to earth in less time than
        > what natural laws would permit.

        I didn't THINK McDonald knew what he was talking about -- Ha!

        Gotcha!

        Humphreys' model does NOT propose to speed up light beyond
        "what natural laws would permit" -- oh, no no no! Humphreys'
        model proposes "gravitational time dilation" as the mechanism
        for "speeding up" the time it takes light to reach the Earth
        from distant stars -- a "naturalistic" explanation. Jerry
        himself, in his first article, asked rhetorically, "Is time
        dilation theory or is it fact?" and Jerry answered, "Yes,
        yes it is a fact of science," referring to the quotes from
        Danny Faulkner and Russell Humphreys on CRSnet, and *he then
        went on to claim that since there is a such thing as time
        dilation*, that it "dispenses with evolutionists [sic]
        teachings that SN 1987A took 168,000 light years [sic] to
        reach us"!

        And what was my response to that? I said:

        > Faulkner mentions time dilation, Humphreys agrees with it,
        > and Jerry is so incompetent that he thinks that means what
        > Humphreys is saying makes any sense. Well, it doesn't. Time
        > dilation is a relativistic effect related to gravity and/or
        > velocity, i.e., when it is observed it is observed for a
        > *reason*. There is no *reason* for Humphreys to call on
        > time dilation as one of the effects of the Flood -- if he
        > wants to just claim outlandish miracles as the reason we
        > can see distant starlight, just call it a miracle,
        > withdraw from the creation-science game, and let that be
        > that.
        http://www.challenge2.org/hartzogsresponse.html

        So Jerry, trapped in a tight spot in the second Baty-McDonald
        debate, now renounces what he said in the first Baty-McDonald
        debate, and what his son Thomas says in a very recent article
        on the age of the Earth, and what Jerry so long ago promised
        he was going to give us -- the "scientific explanation" for
        how, if the Universe is only a few thousand years old, we see
        the light from objects and events (such as SN 1987A) that are
        hundreds of thousands of light-years away and hundreds of
        thousands of years in the past!

        I told McDonald *then*: arbitrarily calling on miracles to
        solve the problems with your young-earth scenarios is
        NOT A SCIENTIFIC EXPLANATION, and in his next article, which
        he titled "Not Scientific?", McDonald argued at length that
        yes he did too give a scientific explanation (from Humphreys)
        for distant starlight, at one point writing:

        >| (Mr. Hartzog) doesn't like scientific explanations for
        >| things such as this because he wants to be able to
        >| parrot off the same old rhetoric that creationists
        >| cannot make any scientific arguments for a young
        >| universe and earth.
        http://www.challenge2.org/notscientific.html

        But what does McDonald tell us now? Why, he *parrots off the
        same old rhetoric* -- creationists cannot make any scientific
        arguments for a young Universe and Earth!

        Jerry, you are absolutely correct! There is NO SUCH THING
        as a scientific argument for a young Earth! There is not
        one single argument for the Earth and Universe being only
        a few thousand years old that will withstand honest
        scientific scrutiny.

        So where do we go from here, McDonald?

        Am I to infer after all this time that you WON'T be producing
        that "scientific explanation" for how we see the light from
        SN 1987A, after all?

        But we knew that already! So, what *will* you be talking
        about in installments 4 -10 of your "Hartzog's Fantasies"
        series? Not SN 1987A I guess!