Re: Casual observation for Michael!

    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 2, 2003
      Hi, Michael.

      Whether the road is 10,000 miles long, or 15,000 miles long, or
      22,819 miles long, or something else is completely irrelevant to
      whether or not we know that it is CERTAINLY quite a bit longer than
      just 1 mile long. If we KNOW that the road is 32 miles long, then we
      also KNOW that the idea that road is only 1 mile long is a false.

      In the case of SN1987A we have an example of an event that took place
      approximately 168,000 years ago. This is at least 158,000 years too
      long for the YEC position. Examples like SN1987A demonstrate that the
      YEC position has been FALSIFIED by our observations of the real world.

      I myself have no idea how old the earth is, nor how old the universe
      is. With respect to whether or not the YEC position has been
      falsified, I don't need to know those things - as I have told you and
      carefully explained to you repeatedly. In order to know that the YEC
      position is false, all we need to know is whether or not the universe
      and the earth have been around substantially longer than just ten
      thousand years. The 168,000 years ago of SN1987A is substantially
      longer than 10,000 years (and that's just one clear example).

      This has nothing to do with GRAS (per se). This has to do with what
      the world that we live in is really like. And with whether or not
      people who *say* they respect truth really have the courage to accept
      it.

      Young earth creationism is false, and people who know that it is
      false have the duty to say so. I, a young earth creationist, learned
      the truth, modified my beliefs accordingly, and dared to say so.

      I further state that Robert's metaphor of David and Goliath is wrong.
      (Sorry, Robert!) This is because of the mighty hold that religious
      tradition and religious prejudice has in the Church Of Christ. In the
      COC young earth creationism is clearly the Goliath. David is the one
      who realizes the flawed nature of YEC. The stones are the pieces of
      truth by which this flawed nature is realized.

      With respect to geological considerations (rather than astronomy), I
      would also ask you to visit a cemetary in the near future, and be
      sure to choose one that has been around for at least a couple of
      hundred years. Walk around the cemetary and find the oldest
      tombstones about which the dates are legible. Estimate how much the
      lettering has been eroded down (a quarter inch? three-eights inch?),
      and the time until today from the date of death on the tombstone.

      Regards,
      Todd S. Greene
      http://www.creationism.cc/

      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 2, 2003
        <greeneto@y...> wrote, in part:

        > I further state that Robert's metaphor of
        > David and Goliath is wrong.

        > (Sorry, Robert!)

        > This is because of the mighty hold that
        > religious tradition and religious prejudice
        > has in the Church Of Christ.

        > In the COC young earth creationism is clearly
        > the Goliath.

        Like others in persecuted minorities, I have attempted merely to
        conform the discussion to accommodate some of those involved.

        You may recall that "GRAS" itself was a term coined by our
        own "mathewmaury", an opposition figure. Similarly, it
        was "mathewmaury" who deemed the "GRAS" more recently as the "Goliath
        of GRAS".

        I think it kinda neat that he came up with such stuff and that it
        fits.

        As Bert and Trevor would insist; let's give honor to honor is due.

        The metaphor is to be properly attributed to "mathewmaury". I'm just
        following his lead on that.

        In the context of your consideration, Todd, you may be right about
        who is David and who is Goliath. However, I think "mathewmaury"'s
        characterization was in the broader, real-life context.

        I guess there is something here about "relativity".

        I like it either way.

        In the big pond "GRAS" is the Goliath awaiting some David with one or
        more stones. The present candidate (James) appears to have left the
        battlefield and we await his return. Michael appears to have
        capitulated as far as I can tell. His apparent "agnosticism" about
        such things as are relevant to the "GRAS" would seem to prevent him
        from casting stones.

        In the smaller pond which you refer to, Todd, "GRAS" is the David.
        We're just waiting for folks to realize the Goliath has been slain.
        He certainly is not showing any signs of life around here.

        Perhaps it is the case that "David" has become the "Goliath".

        It happened with Maury.
        It happened with Mammoths.
        It happened with Moon-dust.

        Maybe now it is time to declare that it has happened with "GRAS"?

        But, Todd, that declaration may be premature as you so indicate. We
        will wait and see how the history on this evolves. I would hope that
        James' secret expert would want to insure his good image in this
        history. He doesn't want his image tarnished by letting some "leak"
        occur at a possibly inopportune time. He needs to come forward now
        and get on the right side of the logical evaluation of the "GRAS".

        I wouldn't want him to find himself in the same position as Rudy and
        others similarly situated.

      • lipscombgene
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 2, 2003
          --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <dokimadzo@c...>
          wrote:
          > The issue you seem to have cornered is that the earth is less than
          10K years
          > old. Well then, in like manner, let's discuss the same about the
          4.6
          > billion figure! Are you game?
          >
          > I let you have your victory. So, Todd, Robert's "expert," let us
          discuss
          > "your" evidence that the earth is in excess of plus one billion
          years old.
          > You are so willing to discuss that the earth is plus 10K years,
          according to
          > you, prove this as true; well, now Todd, let us discuss the other
          side. Are
          > you game?

          Gene: Is this really necessary? Tremendous amounts of evidence for
          the antiquity (>1 billion years) of the earth and the cosmos exist
          for anyone willing to do a quick internet search (aka AnyoneButMatt).
          These references are not from "creation scientists" with degrees in
          veterinary science who are writing about geology either.

          The problem is this:

          Young Earth Creationists read the text of the Bible and conclude that
          the ONLY WAY it can be read is for the earth and the universe to be
          somewhere in the vicinity of 6,000-10,000 years old. Therefore, ANY
          AND ALL evidence to the contrary is either a) fabricated (this is the
          conspiratorial aspect), b) explainable by the flood, or c) the result
          of a mature creation with the appearance of age.

          They have painted themselves into a corner with two choices: either
          realize the earth/universe ARE much older than 6,000-10,000 years and
          give up their faith, since after all, they believe the text can only
          mean the earth is young, or shore up whatever shoddy arguments may
          exist and hang on for dear life. Again, this is because the ONLY
          alternative they have is a loss of faith.

          A real shame they don't decide to have a reasonable chat with the
          large number of ancient creationists out there. We're all right at
          home with a high view of scripture AND an old age for things.

          Alas, GRAS stands.

          Gene
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 2, 2003
            [Whether the road is 10,000 miles long, or 15,000 miles long, or
            22,819 miles long, or something else is completely irrelevant to
            whether or not we know that it is CERTAINLY quite a bit longer than
            just 1 mile long. If we KNOW that the road is 32 miles long, then we
            also KNOW that the idea that road is only 1 mile long is a false.]

            I agree. Again, I think the Genesis text teaches literal 24 hour
            consecutive days. I "know" that the language demands this position. I
            placed a quote on the other board that the mass majority of Hebrew ancient
            language scholars, even though they may not believe the statements, admit
            that the language demands this understanding.

            I, also, am not here to strictly adhere to a 6-10K model. The absolute
            certainty of your evidence, though, is not as solid as you have come to
            think, though. It is not absolute fact that cannot be revised.

            You know, I can even come up with other astronomers on the web that say
            SN1987A is 190,000 light years away. You come up with 168,000. If this
            were scientific fact then why the discrepency? You also give a plus or
            minus variance for error. And this is fact? See?

            [I myself have no idea how old the earth is, nor how old the universe is.]

            Niether do I.

            [With respect to whether or not the YEC position has been falsified, I don't
            need to know those things].

            I consider myself on the side of a young earth model, but do no limit myself
            to just 6-10K years old. Your entire premise is dependent upon labeling yec
            to equal under 10k. I am not convinced that all must accept 6-10K years old
            to have an young earth model as opposed to a great antiquity model.

            [...as I have told you and carefully explained to you repeatedly.]

            And, I understood each and every time. Again, though, I refuse to fall into
            the label you demand. Those that favor a young earth in contrast to the
            multi-billion earth age do not necessarily all fall into the 6k-10K
            category.

            [In order to know that the YEC position is false, all we need to know is
            whether or not the universe and the earth have been around substantially
            longer than just ten thousand years.]

            False. If the earth is just 500K years old, this is very young compared to
            4.6 billion. This, comparatively and contrasted, can most definitely be
            considered a young earth concept; and, it does not have to fall under 10K to
            be considered yec.

            [The 168,000 years ago of SN1987A is substantially longer than 10,000 years
            (and that's just one clear example).]

            No, it is not clear. Your math leaves out to many variables and ingnores to
            much evidence. Therefore, it is definitely not a "clear example."

            [And with whether or not people who *say* they respect truth really have the
            courage to accept
            it.]

            I agree. To add to this, the equating mathematical probabilities with fact
            and truth is what disturbs me, and the same thing you allude I am guilty of
            I say you are standing on the same ground doing the same thing.

            V/r

            Michael
          • Michael
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 2, 2003
              [Michael appears to have capitulated as far as I can tell.]

              Umm. Maybe in one respect. Your definition of YEC means under 10K. Though
              your proof is not as much proof as you deem it to be, the math as it stands
              makes it probable to the layman that the earth must be greater than 10K
              years old.

              Your proof, though, contains many assumptions built into the formula and,
              therefore, cannot be considered absoute fact. It is not time to put this
              evidence down and say "it is all settled!" It is not even time to say,
              "though the age is not settled, it at least proves the proverbial road is
              greater than one mile.

              Your road analogy relies on a distance measurement. The distance you first
              bring up is SN1987A. There are so many assumptions in your distance
              calculation of 168K years that when you throw it around as fact and a
              scientific proof it is disturbing.

              V/r

              Michael
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 6, 2003
                Hi, Michael.

                With respect to the universe as a whole, SN1987A in the Large
                Magellanic Cloud galaxy is merely a drop in the bucket. Well, no,
                actually, it's much less than a drop in the bucket!

                For example, the events that we observe in the Andromeda galaxy have
                taken place more than about 2 million years in the past.

                The Large Magellanic galaxy is the second closest galaxy to our Milky
                Way galaxy. The Andromeda galaxy is a member of the 30-some odd
                galaxies that are part of our "Local Group" of galaxies that our
                Milky Way is a member of (in other words, Andromeda is a very close
                galaxy). In the universe as a whole, there are BILLIONS of galaxies.
                168,000 years is trivial. In the case of Andromeda we're talking
                about over 2 million years in the past. In the case of, say, the
                spiral galaxy NGC 4414 we're talking approximately 60 million years.
                In the case of the spiral galaxy NGC 4603 we're talking about over
                100 million years ago.

                SN1987A is just one example, Michael. At 168,000 years ago SN1987A
                happens to be a sufficient example concerning the fact that YEC is a
                falsified idea about the world.

                wrote (post #1346):
                >> Whether the road is 10,000 miles long, or 15,000 miles long, or
                >> 22,819 miles long, or something else is completely irrelevant to
                >> whether or not we know that it is CERTAINLY quite a bit longer
                >> than just 1 mile long. If we KNOW that the road is 32 miles
                >> long, then we also KNOW that the idea that road is only 1 mile
                >> long is a false.
                >
                > I agree. Again, I think the Genesis text teaches literal 24 hour
                > consecutive days. I "know" that the language demands this
                > position. I placed a quote on the other board that the mass
                > majority of Hebrew ancient language scholars, even though they
                > may not believe the statements, admit that the language demands
                > this understanding.
                >
                > I, also, am not here to strictly adhere to a 6-10K model. The
                > absolute certainty of your evidence, though, is not as solid as
                > you have come to think, though. It is not absolute fact that
                > cannot be revised.

                I could understand the possibility of it being revised by a few
                percent (due to the practical nature of empirical measurement). It is
                the pretension that it might be wrong by something like 95% that is
                just plain ridiculous. And remember that with SN1987A taking place in
                the Large Magellanic Cloud galaxy about 168,000 years ago we're
                talking about something that has happened in the *very recent* past
                relative to what else we observe about the universe.

                > You know, I can even come up with other astronomers on the web
                > that say SN1987A is 190,000 light years away. You come up with
                > 168,000.

                Go for it, Michael.

                > If this were
                > scientific fact then why the discrepency? You also give a plus or
                > minus variance for error. And this is fact? See?

                It *is* a fact. The range given is based on the imprecision of the
                measurement of the angular diameter. Anyone who knows anything about
                scientific measurement is familiar with this kind of thing. So what
                is your point? If I say it is a fact that the sun is about 93 million
                miles from the earth, I am obviously make a statement of
                approximation. To dig into the details we would start talking about
                ranges and elliptical orbits and levels of precision. But if somebody
                came along and tried to pretend that, well, because of all of these
                practical details that have to be taken into account, then it is
                equally valid (oh, gee, sound?) to claim that the sun could really be
                only about 1 million miles from the earth is patently ridiculous.

                If you are trying to pretend that because we have a degree of
                imprecision in the measurements of the angular diameter, and in the
                estimate of the time between the onset of the explosion and when the
                light reached the primary gas ring, that we then we can throw out the
                measurements altogether and pretend that 6,000 might be okay rather
                than 168,000, then you are merely being irrational. And you must not
                forget that on top of SN1987A, you have the rest of the galaxies in
                the universe (except one) which are all observed from more distant
                times in the past.

                >> I myself have no idea how old the earth is, nor how old the
                >> universe is.
                >
                > Neither do I.
                >
                >> With respect to whether or not the YEC position has been
                >> falsified, I don't need to know those things.
                >
                > I consider myself on the side of a young earth model, but do not
                > limit myself to just 6-10K years old. Your entire premise is
                > dependent upon labeling yec to equal under 10k. I am not
                > convinced that all must accept 6-10K years old to have an young
                > earth model as opposed to a great antiquity model.

                Concerning the YEC position of six to ten thousand years, this
                certainly is NOT something that *I* have labeled YECs with. This is
                what they claim, and so this is what I address. As I quite thoroughly
                documented in a previous post,

                "What YECs Believe"

                I am representing the YEC position quite accurately. Please don't go
                backwards on me and make statements based on a false premise that
                tries to pretend that this isn't so.

                YECs argue for a young earth, and this is based on using the
                genealogies as a chronology.

                >> ...as I have told you and carefully explained to you repeatedly.
                >
                > And, I understood each and every time. Again, though, I refuse to
                > fall into the label you demand. Those that favor a young earth in
                > contrast to the multi-billion earth age do not necessarily all
                > fall into the 6k-10K category.

                Those who don't, then, already agree that the YEC position is false.
                The six to ten thousand years is based on using the genealogies as a
                chronology. You have to reject that to start advocating anything like
                100,000 years or 500,000 years. And once you've already rejected the
                YEC interpretation, then you have no basis whatsoever for your number
                pulled out a hat.

                >> In order to know that the YEC position is false, all we need to
                >> know is whether or not the universe and the earth have been
                >> around substantially longer than just ten thousand years.
                >
                > False. If the earth is just 500K years old, this is very young
                > compared to 4.6 billion. This, comparatively and contrasted, can
                > most definitely be considered a young earth concept; and, it does
                > not have to fall under 10K to be considered YEC.

                You are correct that 500,000 years is relatively young compared to
                4.6 billion years. But it is still far greater than the YEC position
                of six to ten thousand years. The 168,000 years ago of SN1987A is
                already an example of the wrongness of the YEC position. But as I
                have pointed out above, SN1987A is only one example. There are many,
                many others, and they are from much farther in the distant past.

                >> The 168,000 years ago of SN1987A is substantially longer than
                >> 10,000 years (and that's just one clear example).
                >
                > No, it is not clear. Your math leaves out to many variables and
                > ingnores to much evidence. Therefore, it is definitely not a
                > "clear example."

                Well, as I've explained in my post about SN1987A just prior to this
                post, your statement here is nothing more than typical YEC
                mischaracterization.

                >> And with whether or not people who *say* they respect truth
                >> really have the courage to accept it.
                >
                > I agree. To add to this, the equating mathematical probabilities
                > with fact and truth is what disturbs me, and the same thing you
                > allude I am guilty of I say you are standing on the same ground
                > doing the same thing.

                You are the one who has tried to pretend with earlier rhetoric that
                the YEC notion of six to ten thousand years was perfectly okay, that
                it has not been falsified by scientific examination of the real
                world. Your pretension is wrong. It is the fact that false
                pretensions like this are part of the standard approach of YEC
                rhetoric that should disturb you. The fact that it doesn't is
                revealing of your own approach.

                Regards,
                Todd S. Greene
                http://www.creationism.cc/
              • Michael
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 7, 2003
                  Hi Todd,

                  You wrote: <<SN1987A is just one example, Michael. At 168,000 years ago
                  SN1987A
                  happens to be a sufficient example concerning the fact that YEC is a
                  falsified idea about the world.>>

                  What is the actual definition of YEC. I think this is flawed. Even if you
                  prove that the earth is greater than 100K years old, i.e., if you do, you
                  will never prove anything with regard to the antiquity you are trying to
                  push forward. See? (p.s., since some have missed it before, I am not
                  making a concession to the position).

                  Now, to the point that the 190K figure: you say, "Go for it, Michael."

                  Is that for real? Or, do you want to quote "experts" still?

                  To discredit and distract, Todd uses such language, "Anyone who knows
                  anything about
                  scientific measurement..."

                  Don't be afraid of this type of thing, even if your idea is wrong! I am not
                  saying mine is, but this attitude closes minds to further discovery. It is
                  just the same as can be seen throughout history with regard to true
                  scientists of discovery!!!!

                  My point, since you missed it, was that I do not throw out evidence! Think
                  about that. I do not throw out evidence, when reviewing your evidence that
                  suggests one "direction or another." Is that what you accused me of?

                  You say such and such is a fact, and I come in to say "no"; and then now you
                  say I am arguing in the wrong direction! Does this not show bias on your
                  part? Be honest now!!!!

                  Now, try harder to deal with the evidence I gave to you before I write about
                  what you wrote!!! Believe me! You don't want me to.

                  V/r

                  Michael
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 8, 2003
                    --- In Maury_and_Baty, Michael <dokimadzo@c...> wrote (post #1387):
                    > Hi Todd,
                    >
                    > You wrote: "SN1987A is just one example, Michael. At 168,000
                    > years ago SN1987A happens to be a sufficient example concerning
                    > the fact that YEC is a falsified idea about the world."
                    >
                    > What is the actual definition of YEC. I think this is flawed.
                    > Even if you prove that the earth is greater than 100K years old,
                    > i.e., if you do, you will never prove anything with regard to the
                    > antiquity you are trying to push forward. See? (p.s., since some
                    > have missed it before, I am not making a concession to the
                    > position).

                    Hi, Michael.

                    What are you talking about? I have already explained to you that
                    SN1987A is merely *one example*, that SN1987A is in the Large
                    Magellanic Cloud (LMC) galaxy, that the LMC is the second closest
                    galaxy to our own Milky Way galaxy, and that there are BILLIONS of
                    other galaxies in the universe. I even further pointed out the
                    example of the Andromeda galaxy which is observed from more than 2
                    million years in the past. (And I pointed out a couple of other
                    examples of observations from dozens of millions of years in the
                    past.) Why do you just blithely ignore these things that I've been
                    pointing out to you? Do you think it's okay to bury your head in the
                    sand about these things?

                    > Now, to the point that the 190K figure: you say, "Go for it,
                    > Michael."
                    >
                    > Is that for real? Or, do you want to quote "experts" still?

                    Oh, yes! I do very much expect you to substantiate remarks like this
                    that you make. If you cannot substantiate your remark, then retract
                    it. If you actually have something you can cite, then cite it,
                    because I want to dig into the detail. If it is your desire to run
                    away from the details, then please just admit this openly and
                    honestly.

                    > To discredit and distract, Todd uses such language, "Anyone who
                    > knows anything about scientific measurement..."
                    >
                    > Don't be afraid of this type of thing, even if your idea is wrong!
                    > I am not saying mine is, but this attitude closes minds to further
                    > discovery. It is just the same as can be seen throughout history
                    > with regard to true scientists of discovery!!!!
                    >
                    > My point, since you missed it, was that I do not throw out
                    > evidence! Think about that. I do not throw out evidence, when
                    > reviewing your evidence that suggests one "direction or another."
                    > Is that what you accused me of?
                    >
                    > You say such and such is a fact, and I come in to say "no"; and
                    > then now you say I am arguing in the wrong direction! Does this
                    > not show bias on your part? Be honest now!!!!

                    Do not take me out of context, Michael, as you seem so wont to do.
                    Here is the whole section of our discussion of this:

                    >>> You know, I can even come up with other astronomers on the web
                    >>> that say SN1987A is 190,000 light years away. You come up with
                    >>> 168,000.
                    >>
                    >> Go for it, Michael.
                    >>
                    >>> If this were
                    >>> scientific fact then why the discrepency? You also give a plus
                    >>> or minus variance for error. And this is fact? See?
                    >>
                    >> It *is* a fact. The range given is based on the imprecision of
                    >> the measurement of the angular diameter. Anyone who knows
                    >> anything about scientific measurement is familiar with this kind
                    >> of thing. So what is your point? If I say it is a fact that the
                    >> sun is about 93 million miles from the earth, I am obviously
                    >> making a statement of approximation. To dig into the details we
                    >> would start talking about ranges and elliptical orbits and levels
                    >> of precision. But if somebody came along and tried to pretend
                    >> that, well, because of all of these practical details that have
                    >> to be taken into account, then it is equally valid (oh, gee,
                    >> sound?) to claim that the sun could really be only about 1
                    >> million miles from the earth is patently ridiculous.

                    I said that anyone who knows anything about scientific measurement is
                    familiar with estimating the level of imprecision inherent in taking
                    the measurements. I wrote quite truly. The value of 168,000 years ago
                    is the mid-value of an estimate within the range of the level of
                    precision of the measurements. The estimate of measurement
                    imprecision is about 3.5% (either way), as I have already explained.
                    *As I have already told you*, for SN1987A what is involved is the
                    measurement of the time between the onset of the explosion and when
                    the light energy initially reached the primary gas ring, and the
                    measurement of the angular size of the primary gas ring. As I have
                    told you, it is one thing to recognize that there is a certain amount
                    of imprecision inherent to measuring things in the real world. We
                    should indeed recognize this, *because* this is part of the facts
                    I've been referring to. The YEC position involves throwing everything
                    out and ignoring all of this and saying, "Well, it is equally valid
                    to say that SN1987A took place less than 10,000 years ago," and this
                    position is flatly wrong. I tell you again, if it is your desire to
                    run away from the details, then please just admit this openly and
                    honestly.

                    > Now, try harder to deal with the evidence I gave to you before I
                    > write about what you wrote!!! Believe me! You don't want me to.

                    You haven't given any evidence, Michael. This is what I've been
                    asking you for, but you won't (can't) do it. All we've gotten from
                    you so far is empty (and false) rhetoric. This is the problem with
                    your position.

                    Regards,
                    Todd S. Greene
                    http://www.creationism.cc/
                  • Michael
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 8, 2003
                      <<Oh, yes! I do very much expect you to substantiate remarks like this
                      that you make.>>

                      I bet you do. Why not, rather, deal with the truth of the remarks?
                      Anyone can research the truth of the points of fact that I made.

                      <<If it is your desire to run away from the details, then please just
                      admit this openly and honestly.>>

                      Hide? Does light bend? Do your calculations take this into account?
                      Why not be open about this! Tell me who is HIDING NOW!

                      You do admit that light bends and this is "observed," yet you ignore the
                      argument that your 168K result in no way takes into account that this
                      occurs. Why not comment on this?!!!!!!!!!!

                      I grow tired of dealing with your ranting when you will not deal with
                      the points made. I am sure you will say the same with me, but,
                      remember, I am not affirming, but denying that your evidence "proves"
                      anything. Your math is so flawed! Your evidence is flawed.

                      V/r

                      Michael
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 10, 2003
                        --- In Maury_and_Baty, Michael <dokimadzo@c...> wrote (post #1401):
                        [Todd Greene wrote:]
                        >> Oh, yes! I do very much expect you to substantiate remarks like
                        >> this that you make.
                        >
                        > I bet you do. Why not, rather, deal with the truth of the remarks?
                        > Anyone can research the truth of the points of fact that I made.

                        Hi, Michael.

                        You are so funny!

                        On this you are being so ridiculous that I'm going to tell you quite
                        forthrightly on this one: Cut out the stupid game. Put up or shut up.

                        I don't have do deal with the truth of your remarks because your
                        remarks are not truthful.

                        The fact is that people like you usually don't know what you're
                        talking about. You pretend all manner of things, and then when you
                        are requested to substantiate your false claims and dig into the
                        details you refuse to do so. This is not Christian behavior, Michael,
                        and I know that you know this. If you are not capable of
                        substantiating your claims with some serious references to what you
                        are allegedly referring to (and I know that you are not), then just
                        be honest about it.

                        >> If it is your desire to run away from the details, then please
                        >> just admit this openly and honestly.
                        >
                        > Hide? Does light bend? Do your calculations take this into
                        > account? Why not be open about this! Tell me who is HIDING NOW!

                        Light does bend, and light is also deflected. I already pointed this
                        out. I already pointed out how in the case of SN1987A the deflection
                        of light is actually *critical* to the observations.

                        First of all, you are the one who is pretending that light is being
                        bent or deflected when it is actually observed to be NOT being bent
                        or deflected. So who is it who is *assuming* what they want to
                        *assume*, rather than acknowledge what is *observed*? That would be
                        you, Michael.

                        Second, you (and James, who has been parroting this after you) don't
                        seem to realize that your point - even if it happened to be case -
                        would not change the time involved. When light is bent or deflected,
                        then the fact is that it actually has *even farther* to travel, and
                        this takes *more time*, not less.

                        You guys are so amusing in how you attempt to throw out all of this
                        obfuscation, while not even realizing that it backfires on you!

                        > You do admit that light bends and this is "observed," yet you
                        > ignore the argument that your 168K result in no way takes into
                        > account that this occurs. Why not comment on this?!!!!!!!!!!

                        I *did* comment on this. Oh, wait, that's right, you're still
                        pretending that my post on this doesn't exist:

                        > I grow tired of dealing with your ranting when you will not deal
                        > with the points made.

                        I grow tired of you purposely pretending that this post doesn't exist:

                        > I am sure
                        > you will say the same with me, but, remember, I am not affirming,
                        > but denying that your evidence "proves" anything. Your math is so
                        > flawed! Your evidence is flawed.

                        If it really is, then I would appreciate you pointing out some of the
                        flaws. Empty rhetoric doesn't substantiate anything.

                        Regards,
                        Todd S. Greene
                        http://www.creationism.cc/
                      • Michael
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 21, 2003
                          "Hide? Does light bend? Do your calculations take this into account?"

                          That is what I stated. The response I received:

                          <<Light does bend, and light is also deflected...">>

                          Then, in the very next paragraph did I not read this:

                          <<First of all, you are the one who is pretending that light is being
                          bent or deflected when it is actually observed to be NOT being bent
                          or deflected.>>

                          Well, which is it?

                          Then we see that "it IS actually observed to be NOT being bent OR
                          deflected." [emphasis mine]

                          Please, if you cannot see the reality of this matter then please continue in
                          fantasy world!!!!!!

                          V/r

                          Michael
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 21, 2003
                            Hi, Michael.

                            It is fascinatingly amazing to me how you make the comments below
                            three days *after* I have specifically showed you what is wrong with
                            those comments.

                            I already explained the fallacy of your comments to you (and you
                            yourself already acknowledged that the light from SN1987A is observed
                            to be not warped anyway) in post #716 to the "Bereanlikespirit" group:

                            | It's amazing to
                            | me that you really, really think that just because a car can turn
                            | left, then this means that it *must* turn left at every corner
                            | where it can turn left. This is the absurdity of your argument
                            | about the fact that light can bend. I have already pointed out to
                            | you the FACT that it is OBSERVED that the light from SN1987A is
                            | NOT warped by some kind of intense gravity fields between SN1987A
                            | and earth, but it is YOU who PURPOSELY CHOOSES to ignore the FACT
                            | that this is what is OBSERVED TO BE THE CASE. We know light can
                            | bend (and this makes something like the fifth or sixth time, or
                            | more, that I've stated this). So what? That's not the issue. The
                            | issue is: "Is the light from SN1987A OBSERVED to have been
                            | warped?" The answer to this question is unequivocally negative.
                            | There a many examples of astronomical observations of the path of
                            | light being warped, but SN1987A simply is not one of them. (And I
                            | also note here how you continued to ignore my request of you to
                            | explain even how such bending would affect the time involved
                            | anyway. As I already pointed out to you - and which you, as
                            | usual, ignored - is that such warping doesn't alter the time
                            | involved, or if anything it makes it take even *longer*, not
                            | shorter, than if it were to follow a straight path.) So much the
                            | worse for your position.
                            |
                            | I close this post by just quoting some of your own words about
                            | this issue:
                            |
                            | "...there is no such black hole in the path of SN1987A and earth.
                            | I agree...."
                            | [http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bereanlikespirit/message/701 ]
                            |
                            | "I will, however, agree that the calculations [about SN1987A] and
                            | the radius is ballpark...."
                            | [http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Maury_and_Baty/message/1342 ]

                            My words were very clear and straightforward. I'm not writing in
                            Sanskrit or Cyrillic. It's just plain English. All you have to do is
                            read it. If you don't understand English very well, then just be
                            honest with us and say so. Of course, if you're just purposely
                            sticking your head in the sand, then maybe it's time to get the sand
                            out of your ears.

                            Regards,
                            Todd S. Greene
                            http://www.creationism.cc/

                            --- In Maury_and_Baty, Michael <dokimadzo@c...> wrote (post #1475):
                            > "Hide? Does light bend? Do your calculations take this into
                            > account?"
                            >
                            > That is what I stated. The response I received:
                            >
                            >> Light does bend, and light is also deflected..."
                            >
                            > Then, in the very next paragraph did I not read this:
                            >
                            >> First of all, you are the one who is pretending that light is
                            >> being bent or deflected when it is actually observed to be NOT
                            >> being bent or deflected.
                            >
                            > Well, which is it?
                            >
                            > Then we see that "it IS actually observed to be NOT being bent OR
                            > deflected." [emphasis mine]
                            >
                            > Please, if you cannot see the reality of this matter then please
                            > continue in fantasy world!!!!!!
                          • Michael
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 22, 2003
                              <<(and you yourself already acknowledged that the light from SN1987A is
                              observed to be not warped anyway) in post #716 to the "Bereanlikespirit"
                              group:>>

                              No Todd. I said that there was not a black hole between SN1987A and earth.
                              I stated what you state. If the light were warped away by a black whole we
                              would never have seen the star to begin with.

                              Are you trying to be honest with what I say, or just trying to make out of
                              context disparaging comments about it in order to make it appear that you
                              have answered the points?

                              You say:

                              <<It is fascinatingly amazing to me how you make the comments below three
                              days *after* I have specifically showed you what is wrong with those
                              comments.>>

                              Maybe that is because you did NOT show anything. All I have seen is you
                              side stepping the observed FACT that light bends and how your math model
                              ignores this observed FACT. You have done NOTHING to show that this is
                              wrong. Indeed, you have not disputed one fact I set forth.

                              Again, if you want a formal debate on this then please forward a
                              proposition. Then we will see how the rhetoric and the facts bear out every
                              one of my points and facts I have already given you.

                              V/r

                              Michael
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 23, 2003
                                --- In Maury_and_Baty, Michael <dokimadzo@c...> wrote (post #1488):
                                >> (and you yourself already acknowledged that the light from
                                >> SN1987A is observed to be not warped anyway) in post #716 to
                                >> the "Bereanlikespirit" group:
                                >
                                > No Todd. I said that there was not a black hole between SN1987A
                                > and earth. I stated what you state. If the light were warped away
                                > by a black whole we would never have seen the star to begin with.

                                Hi, Michael.

                                Indeed. If the light were warped, we would observe it to be warped.
                                In fact, what we observe is that the light is not warped. It is you
                                who denies what is observed, and who then choose to offer a
                                speculation that is contradicted by what is observed. How typical.

                                > Are you trying to be honest with what I say, or just trying to
                                > make out of context disparaging comments about it in order to make
                                > it appear that you have answered the points?

                                You acknowledged that we do not in fact observe something that you
                                speculated might have occurred. I did indeed emphasize your
                                acknowledgement.

                                > You say:
                                >
                                >> It is fascinatingly amazing to me how you make the comments
                                >> below three days *after* I have specifically showed you what is
                                >> wrong with those comments.
                                >
                                > Maybe that is because you did NOT show anything.

                                When you make this statement you are flatly lying. I have made
                                several posts where I have provided you with online references to
                                observations of SN1987A. You have absolutely no right to totally
                                ignore my references and then falsely pretend that I never provided
                                them. It is sinful for a Christian to behave like this, and you know
                                it.

                                > All I have
                                > seen is you side stepping the observed FACT that light bends

                                Here you lie again. I have correct this false statement of yours a
                                number of times. Every time that you repeat this false statement
                                after I have specifically and explicitly corrected you on it, you are
                                lying because now you know better and yet you continue to purposely
                                make a false statement.

                                > and how your
                                > math model ignores this observed FACT.

                                The match doesn't need to take into account anything that is observed
                                to not be the case. Again, just because a car has the capability of
                                making left turn, this does not mean that it actually does take a
                                left turn at every corner. You are simply being illogical.

                                > You have done
                                > NOTHING to show that this is wrong. Indeed, you have not disputed
                                > one fact I set forth.

                                Now you're just lying again.

                                Here is what I wrote, and I'll simply quote it here again (the part
                                that you have so conveniently snipped out of what I wrote):

                                | It's amazing to
                                | me that you really, really think that just because a car can turn
                                | left, then this means that it *must* turn left at every corner
                                | where it can turn left. This is the absurdity of your argument
                                | about the fact that light can bend. I have already pointed out to
                                | you the FACT that it is OBSERVED that the light from SN1987A is
                                | NOT warped by some kind of intense gravity fields between SN1987A
                                | and earth, but it is YOU who PURPOSELY CHOOSES to ignore the FACT
                                | that this is what is OBSERVED TO BE THE CASE. We know light can
                                | bend (and this makes something like the fifth or sixth time, or
                                | more, that I've stated this). So what? That's not the issue. The
                                | issue is: "Is the light from SN1987A OBSERVED to have been
                                | warped?" The answer to this question is unequivocally negative.
                                | There a many examples of astronomical observations of the path of
                                | light being warped, but SN1987A simply is not one of them. (And I
                                | also note here how you continued to ignore my request of you to
                                | explain even how such bending would affect the time involved
                                | anyway. As I already pointed out to you - and which you, as
                                | usual, ignored - is that such warping doesn't alter the time
                                | involved, or if anything it makes it take even *longer*, not
                                | shorter, than if it were to follow a straight path.) So much the
                                | worse for your position.
                                |
                                | I close this post by just quoting some of your own words about
                                | this issue:
                                |
                                | "...there is no such black hole in the path of SN1987A and earth.
                                | I agree...."
                                | [http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bereanlikespirit/message/701 ]
                                |
                                | "I will, however, agree that the calculations [about SN1987A] and
                                | the radius is ballpark...."
                                | [http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Maury_and_Baty/message/1342 ]

                                > Again, if you want a formal debate on this then please forward a
                                > proposition. Then we will see how the rhetoric and the facts bear
                                > out every one of my points and facts I have already given you.

                                You are so funny! We *have been* debating it, Michael. Now you have
                                merely been reduced to blatantly lying about what I have and have not
                                written and pointed out. Just keep running away from the truth,
                                Michael. This is precisely how you guys demonstrate the fallacies of
                                your position *and* your lack of respect for truth, such that you are
                                reduced to blatant and willful misrepresentation because you are so
                                zealously dedicated to your falsified human traditions.

                                Very sincerely,
                                Todd S. Greene
                                http://www.creationism.cc/
                              • Michael
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 24, 2003
                                  Hello Todd,

                                  You said:

                                  [Indeed. If the light were warped, we would observe it to be warped.]

                                  Yes, but not if it were "bent." We are not speaking of distortion.

                                  You then, in response to what I stated, said:

                                  [You acknowledged that we do not in fact observe something that you
                                  speculated might have occurred]

                                  Will you do the same? You repeatedly stated that the event of SN1987A was
                                  entirely observed and this is why your mathematical model stands! Still
                                  want to go down this road?

                                  Then you state that I am [quote] "flatly lying" [end quote]. Well, no one
                                  doubts that you have made several posts trying to show the legitimacy of
                                  your claims. Yet, to now, arrogantly, state that this "proves" anything, or
                                  that your affirmations "prove" anything, is not me lying. I do not accept
                                  that you proved your case and am willing to debate this with you formally.
                                  That is not lying, but, rather, giving you the chance (and me) to put our
                                  money (slang term) where our mouths are.

                                  Also, just because I chose not to answer every single little point you
                                  brought up in a casual conversation, does not mean that YOU WIN! It does
                                  not mean I win. This was not a formal discussion.

                                  You know what you have to do to gain one. JUST DO IT. (go NIKE!).

                                  You have yet to refute the facts I presented. If you want to try then I
                                  will consider your proposition. If your proposition shows how I will have
                                  represented a falsehood then I will admit it and our discussion is over.

                                  V/r

                                  Michael