Re: On the debate, moderation, & C.D. Healy!

    Message 1 of 41 , Nov 1, 2007
      --- In Maury_and_Baty, Robert Baty wrote (post #13126):
      |[snip]
      > While I cannot presently make a committment to perform
      > moderation duties for Todd, the fact remains that you
      > and Todd have not indicated any agreement on the duties
      > of the moderators.

      Robert, actually I believe we are in substantial agreement, the only
      difference between that Jerry's is also coordinating with his
      moderator to possibly fill in as debater on the off-chance he
      wouldn't be able to do it. Initially I had expected a single
      moderator, more-or-less neutral, who would perform standard debate
      moderator duties, and never as an alternate debater. As I told Jerry,
      I'm fairly "easy" about arrangements, so if he wants two moderators,
      that's okay with me. However, the duties of my moderator will not
      include being an alternate debater.

      > FWIW, I think that historically it is quite unusual to have
      > moderators who are obligated to become a disputant should the
      > original disputant become unable to meet his responsibilities.

      I agree.

      > At such time as there is a published agreement regarding the
      > moderator's duties, I will be in a better position to
      > seriously consider accepting the offer.
      |[snip]

      I don't think Jerry has disagreed with anything I stated about
      moderator duties. Again, the only difference is that he is working
      with his "guy" with the possibility that he would fill in for Jerry
      in the debating itself.

      - Todd Greene
    • Jerry McDonald
      Message 41 of 41 , Nov 3, 2007
        I wasn't sure what the finals dates were. I would definately agree that the last of April and first of May would be best. I wasn't sure what videos you were talking about, but now I understand. I have known Larry for over 20 years and he and I have been friends all these years. I have a lot of confidence in him and his ability.
        jdm

        "Todd S. Greene" <greeneto@...> wrote:
        Hi Jerry,

        There are a number of videos featuring Larry Yarber at the OABS
        website. The one in particular that I happened to take a brief look
        at is this one:

        http://www.oabs.org/Archives/Lectures/midwest.htm

        I just looked up the University of Missouri schedule and found that
        their Finals week is May 12-16. Because of that timing (when I was a
        college student I always used the week before finals to "brush up"
        for finals), and because of my thinking about ending on a Saturday
        evening, I was thinking about April 30 thru May 3. Again, just a
        suggestion. I'm easy.

        And I see I messed up my sentence with an omission. My phrase "why
        young earth creationism is utter nonsense in terms of..." was
        supposed to have the word "science" at the end of it. (I added it
        below too.)

        - Todd