James' Fallacious Appeal to Authority?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2003
      Yes, I think that is what they call what James has done with his secret
      expert. He does indeed seem to have made a fallacious appeal to
      authority.

      I was browsing my little critical thinking textbook and came across that
      notion in the chapter on that.

      Here we have the "Goliath of GRAS" that has now gone out into all the
      world.

      It deals with an important public issue that many are struggling to deal
      with.

      What does James do?

      He comes up with a secret alleged expert, fails to properly represent
      the "GRAS" to him, and then uses the secret alleged expert's comments as
      something we should pay particular attention to.

      Yes, I do think that is what the book says will constitute a fallacious
      appeal to authority.

      If James' expert does not want his identify and consideration of this
      important public issue available for public consideration, he needs to
      go on record as admitting the same.

      Otherwise, I would suggest James' clue him in on what is really underway
      here, let the alleged expert consider the "GRAS" anew and offer his
      evaluations, as was desired in the first place, for public review and
      consideration.

      Regardless of whether or not James' secret alleged expert comes forward
      to address this important public issue, it will still be the case that
      James' efforts regarding this secret alleged expert will go down in the
      grade book as a fallacious appeal to authority.

      This may be an important issue as Todd and Michael pursue their
      discussions. As compared to James fallacious appeal to authority, I
      think, while possibly making appeals to authority, will not be
      committing the fallacy James did.

      For more information on the fallacy committed by James regarding his
      secret alleged expert, I would recommend, as James would, that you do
      some reading on the subject.