Apologetics Press Form 990 - 2003!

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2007
      Here's information from our archives regarding what Apologetics Press was reporting in 2003:

      Board of Directors:

      Bert Thompson, President (salary 0)
      J.R. Clark, Vice President (salary 0)
      Jim Estabrook, Treasurer (salary $45,600)

      Fiscal Year 2003 Totals:

      Revenue: $573,424 [contributions (539,605) and sales (33,619)]

      Expenses: $553,977 [program services only; no administrative costs]

      Assets: $369,793 [Cash and equivalent ($21,994) Inventories for sale or use
      ($70,000) and fixed assets (277,799)]

      Liabilities: $638 [taxes payable]

      Compensation of officers, directors: $45,600

      Other salaries and wages: $142,596

      Payroll taxes: $14,431

      Accounting fees: $980

      Supplies: $20,233

      Postage and shipping: $107,073

      Printing and publications: $23,093

      Travel: $12,509

      Depreciation: $36,209

      Other expenses: $140,491

      -----------------------------

      My further comments:

      Among other things, what I find interesting is that none of the seminar activities appear to be reflected in the activities of Apologetics Press.

      As others have noted elsewhere as recorded in our archives (i.e., Jerry Brewer), the seminar activities appear to have been profitable for the organization's founder and that with no public accountability; the seminars being considered the personal work of those so engaged therein.

      Since 2003 the receipts may have gone up, consistent with the claims being made for the organization by its founder. What we should now be able to see, if someone will pull up the information from Guidestar, is what has been happening since the founder left the organization.

      That Guidestar website for Form 990 information is:

      http://www.guidestar.org/

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27, 2007
        "Robert Baty" <rlbaty@...> wrote:

        > Here's information from our archives regarding
        > what Apologetics Press was reporting in 2003:

        > Board of Directors:
        >
        > Bert Thompson, President (salary 0)
        > J.R. Clark, Vice President (salary 0)
        > Jim Estabrook, Treasurer (salary $45,600)
        >
        > Fiscal Year 2003 Totals:
        >
        > Revenue: $573,424 [contributions (539,605) and sales (33,619)]

        2005: $862,984

        > Expenses: $553,977 [program services only; no administrative costs]

        2005: $845,838

        Robert,

        I didn't write the number down but I think the sales
        of their merchandise (books, videos, etc.) dropped in
        2005 from what you had here.

        2005 is the last year available so far. There are other
        records but they require the "premium" subscription to
        view them.

        That big jump in expenses may have something to do with
        all those trips back to the Tellicoe conducting their
        "behind-the-scenes" investigation as to how that fishing
        reel got stuck in that piece of metamorphic rock, no?

        And how the director of their "Science Department" could
        have been fooled by it?

        > That Guidestar website for Form 990 information is:
        >
        > http://www.guidestar.org/
        >
        > Sincerely,
        > Robert Baty

        Guess we may have to wait a while for long-term trends
        to be discernible...

        Rick
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 27, 2007
          "w_w_c_l" <w_w_c_l@...> wrote:

          > --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com,
          > "Robert Baty" <rlbaty@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Here's information from our archives regarding
          > > what Apologetics Press was reporting in 2003:

          > > Board of Directors:
          > >
          > > Bert Thompson, President (salary 0)
          > > J.R. Clark, Vice President (salary 0)
          > > Jim Estabrook, Treasurer (salary $45,600)
          > >
          > > Fiscal Year 2003 Totals:
          > >
          > > Revenue: $573,424 [contributions (539,605) and sales (33,619)]
          >
          > 2005: $862,984
          >
          > > Expenses: $553,977 [program services only; no administrative
          > > costs]
          >
          > 2005: $845,838
          >

          > Robert,
          >
          > I didn't write the number down but I think the sales
          > of their merchandise (books, videos, etc.) dropped in
          > 2005 from what you had here.

          I went back and checked -- net sales was $30,793 -- down
          almost $3,000 from 2003.

          I expect the 2006 records will be interesting to see...

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 7, 2008
            --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, "w_w_c_l"
            <w_w_c_l@...> wrote:

            > --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com,
            > "w_w_c_l" <w_w_c_l@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com,
            > > "Robert Baty" <rlbaty@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Here's information from our archives regarding
            > > > what Apologetics Press was reporting in 2003:

            > > > Board of Directors:
            > > >
            > > > Bert Thompson, President (salary 0)
            > > > J.R. Clark, Vice President (salary 0)
            > > > Jim Estabrook, Treasurer (salary $45,600)
            > > >
            > > > Fiscal Year 2003 Totals:
            > > >
            > > > Revenue: $573,424 [contributions (539,605) and sales (33,619)]
            > >
            > > 2005: $862,984
            > >
            > > > Expenses: $553,977 [program services only; no administrative
            > > > costs]
            > >
            > > 2005: $845,838
            > >

            > > Robert,
            > >
            > > I didn't write the number down but I think the sales
            > > of their merchandise (books, videos, etc.) dropped in
            > > 2005 from what you had here.
            >
            > I went back and checked -- net sales was $30,793 -- down
            > almost $3,000 from 2003.
            >
            > I expect the 2006 records will be interesting to see...
            >
            > > 2005 is the last year available so far. There are other
            > > records but they require the "premium" subscription to
            > > view them.
            > >
            > > That big jump in expenses may have something to do with
            > > all those trips back to the Tellicoe conducting their
            > > "behind-the-scenes" investigation as to how that fishing
            > > reel got stuck in that piece of metamorphic rock, no?
            > >
            > > And how the director of their "Science Department" could
            > > have been fooled by it?
            > >

            > > > That Guidestar website for Form 990 information is:
            > > >
            > > > http://www.guidestar.org/
            > > >
            > > > Sincerely,
            > > > Robert Baty
            > >
            > > Guess we may have to wait a while for long-term trends
            > > to be discernible...
            > >

            > > Rick

            Now, this seems odd to me. Their profit on sales was $33,619
            in 2003, $30,793 in 2005, but in 2006 it jumped to $229,274.
            That's a pretty good bump!

            But contributions fell from $832,191 in 2005 to $490,502
            in 2006.

            In previous years, while Bert was there, it looks like the
            cost of their materials about 90% of their sales, but for
            2006 their costs were only about 36% of sales. And in
            spite of the scandal, gross sales actually increased by
            about $20,000 for 2006.

            Huh.

            Any suggestions as to what's going on?

            Rick