Re: FYI - Shows about atheism online / Tracie Harris

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
      "Todd S. Greene" <greeneto@...> wrote:

      > I was doing a little web-surfing this evening, and
      > I've just learned that there's a huge library of
      > video and audio files of live show produced by a
      > group in Austin, Texas, called the Atheist Community
      > of Austin. You can view the videos of the program
      > online...
      >
      > There are dozens of programs. Here's a sample...
      >
      > Program #500
      > Consciousness. Tracie Harris talks about our current
      > understanding of the consciousness and that our selves
      > are completely in our brain.

      And our brains are in the Universe.

      But even my brain isn't completely in my brain, unless
      the Universe itself is in my brain, too.

      If other parts of the Universe besides my self have
      "consciousness", then my consciousness is part of that
      larger consciousness -- the Universal Mind. There is
      no other way but that "I" am of "It", within It, connected
      to It.

      The only part of my "self" that is defined by my brain
      is the part of my "self" that is defined by my brain.

      But how closely does my personal brain-generated "self"
      correspond to what my true self really is? Other selves
      see my self from a different perspective -- some of that
      feedback from other selves is incorporated into my own
      self and used as an adjustment of my own view of self.
      But how can I be sure those other selves even exist in
      reality? Maybe they're just all in my brain, too.

      My internet connection is too slow for me to watch videos,
      but Tracie Harris is a graphic artist with a degree in
      liberal arts. She is the creator of "Atheist Eve", a
      cartoon character who seems to be about as literal-minded
      about the Bible as the young-earth creationists -- if there
      was no global Flood a few thousand years ago then the Bible
      must not be true; if the Bible is not true then there is
      no God (although that isn't the way she would state it
      her *self*, of course, because then that would be making an
      affirmative statement).

      Here is a link to some of her comics... no, on second
      thought... they're not funny anyway and some of them are
      just plain offensive.

      I guess what I'm trying to say is that Tracie Harris is not
      one to be authoritatively telling us "our 'selves' are
      completely in our brain". The mystery of consciousness is
      by no means solved; it may be that it is unsolvable,
      particularly by empirical methods.

      Here is an article where one researcher suggests that a
      unified "Theory of Everything" may have to include
      consciousness:

      Why Great Minds Can't Grasp Consciousness:
      http://www.livescience.com/health/050808_human_consciousness.html

      Eric Lormand is a philosophy professor with a sense of humor:

      http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lormand/phil/cons/steps.htm
      (above link is a basic, scaled-down version of this next one):
      http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lormand/phil/cons/consciousness.htm

      I'll include this link because I like the quote at the end of
      the page:

      http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lormand/phil/teach/momma.htm

      Here's something pretty interesting;
      Global Consciousness Project:
      http://noosphere.princeton.edu/

      Wikipedia entry for "Quantum Mind":
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mind

      How we even choose to define "consciousness" becomes
      controversial -- when it gets right down to it we may have to
      acknowledge that consciousness belongs to things we would much
      prefer to think of as having no consciousness:

      | The White people never cared for the land or deer or bear.
      | When we Indians kill meat, we eat it all up. When we dig
      | roots, we make little holes. When we build houses, we make
      | little holes. When we burn grass for grasshoppers, we don't
      | ruin things. We shake down acorns and pinenuts. We don't
      | chop down the trees. We only use dead wood. But the White
      | people plow up the ground, pull down the trees, kill
      | everything. The tree says, "Don't. I am sore. Don't hurt me."
      | But they chop it down and cut it up. The spirit of the land
      | hates them. They blast out trees and stir it up to its depths.
      | They saw up the trees. That hurts them. The Indians never
      | hurt anything, but the White people destroy all. They blast
      | rocks and scatter them on the ground. The rock says, "Don't!
      | You are hurting me." But the White people pay no attention.
      | When the Indians use rocks, they take the little round ones for
      | their cooking . . . How can the spirit of the earth like the
      | White man? . . . Everywhere the White man has touched it, it is
      | sore.

      --Wintu holy woman, in McLuhan (ed.), "Touch the Earth".

      Rick Hartzog
      Worldwide Church of Latitudinarianism

      "O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
      To see oursels as others see us!"