Re: Lexington museum marks 100,000th visitor!

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 3, 2007
      Here's a review of the AiG Creation Museum written by Norm Fields,
      a church of Christ preacher from Danville, VA. He loves the place!

      Except they teach the wrong "plan of salvation". So he has written
      Ken Ham a letter about that, challenging him to a debate at the
      museum. He says he will visit many more times as he has opportunity,
      and will in the future come with tracts and Bible so he can properly
      instruct the visitors there.

      An excerpt:

      | In the Culture In Crises exhibit you see a church building
      | being demolished by a wrecking ball that has "Millions Of
      | Years" written on it. Through the broken window and cracked
      | wall you see the congregation sitting inside oblivious to
      | what is happening. A family is sitting in the pew ignoring
      | the preacher droning on about how the Bible can be harmonized
      | with evolution. On the left, you see a house and the same
      | family from the church pew through the open windows. The boy
      | is his disturbingly scary room doing drugs and playing violent
      | video games. The girl is in her room on the phone with a
      | friend holding a positive pregnancy test and talking about
      | whether to get an abortion or not. The mother is sitting at
      | the kitchen table with another woman talking about divorcing
      | her husband, who is sitting in the next room in front of the
      | TV yelling at his wife. Sadly, it is a powerful portrayal of
      | the average American home.

      He advises us to bring some extra money for the bookstore when we
      visit -- says you could spend a whole day in there looking through
      all the creation evidences material.

      He got to meet Brad Harrub while he was there, too!

      http://preachernorm.com/
      (blog posted 7/16/2007)

      (By the way: view the comments from Geoffrey Rowe.)

      Rick Hartzog
      Worldwide Church of Latitudinarianism

      --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com,
      "Robert Baty" <rlbaty@...> wrote:

      > From USA Today:
      >
      > PETERSBURG, Ky. (AP) â€" The controversy surrounding the opening of
      a northern Kentucky museum that teaches the biblical story of
      creation hasn't hurt it at the box office.

      > The Creation Museum hosted its 100,000th visitor by late July, less
      than two months after it opened, putting the museum on pace to easily
      exceed the 250,000 visitors organizers were hoping to get in the
      first year, The Enquirer reported.

      > Evolution is derided at museum, which is packed with high-tech
      exhibits designed by an acclaimed theme-park artist, animatronic
      dinosaurs and a huge wooden ark. In this Old Testament version of
      history, dinosaurs appeared on the same day God created other land
      animals.

      > The museum also contains fossils, hung in large glass cases in a
      room visitors spill into after taking a tour of Old Testament
      history. Museum officials said most fossils were created by the
      massive flood detailed in the book of Genesis.

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3, 2007
        Rick,

        I wonder if Harrub is working on getting Ham to allow an exhibit of the "rock 'n reel" at Ham's museum!

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3, 2007
          "Robert Baty" <rlbaty@...> wrote:

          > Rick,
          >
          > I wonder if Harrub is working on getting Ham to allow
          > an exhibit of the "rock 'n reel" at Ham's museum!
          >
          > Sincerely,
          > Robert Baty

          Ha! Probably only be able to show the photographs --
          Tennessee Game and Fish may have made them do a
          catch-and-release on their trophy!

          I'm wondering if Dr. Brad is now a Free-Will Baptist!

          Something about some paper you have to sign to work
          for them...

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3, 2007
            I had written:

            > I'm wondering if Dr. Brad is now a Free-Will Baptist!
            >
            > Something about some paper you have to sign to work
            > for them (AiG)...

            No, Dr. Brad attends Woodson Chapel church of Christ
            in Nashville, according to the information on his new
            website.

            Dr. Brad's new publication:

            http://www.focuspress.org/about.html

            > *Think* deals with difficult topics such as, stem cell
            > research, intelligent design, cloning, abortion,
            > homosexuality and other social issues that affect us as
            > we live in an increasingly perplexed society.

            Did you catch that? It's "intelligent design" rather
            than a 6,000 year old Earth. I don't doubt but what they
            still have YEC leanings, what with Dr. Brad's involvement
            with Ken Ham's new amusement park, but looking through the
            Focus archives I didn't see anything about humans and
            dinosaurs co-existing.

            Even in their article about Noah's Flood they seem to have
            distanced themselves from the concept of a worldwide event
            that is responsible for all the sedimentary rock.

            Could it be that Dr. Brad woke up and smelled which way the
            wind was blowing?

            They can't say we didn't see it coming -- we tried to warn
            Apologetics Press after that reel-in-rock debacle -- but
            they've been slow on the uptake. (Dr. Brad's biographical
            information doesn't mention a word about his former position
            as the head of the Apologetics Press Science Department.)

            It may turn out that by the time everyone gets through
            arguing over Dave Miller's appointment as AP Director, there
            won't be anything left to direct!

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4, 2007
              Rick,

              Brad's "Focus" website, last I checked, was not WebTv friendly.

              Also, though I don't recall mentioning it before, I haven't been able to even access Apologetics Press from my WebTv. I've had to use other equipement to check developments there.

              It would be nice if some scholarly historican would take up the task of writing a little history of all the staff folks of Apologetics Press who have come and gone over the years and the details of their "evolution" regarding "young-earth, creation-science" and whatever other matters may have affected their appearance and departure from Apologetics Press.

              Come to think of it, wasn't Bert's wife reported to still be a big supporter of the work of Apologetics Press? I wonder whatever became of that!

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 4, 2007
                Rick,

                That other Brad from Apologetics Press is also still quite noticeable on the Internet.

                One of his pages is at:

                http://b_bromling.tripod.com/bio.htm

                While still apparently into "young-earth creationism", it looks like he's not promoting his prior association with Apologetics Press.

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 4, 2007
                  Rick,

                  I take it back, in part! :o)

                  Brad Bromling does make reference to Apologetics Press if you look far enough.

                  He (Brad Bromling provides links to some of his articles and has this most interesting claim:

                  > Some of the links will
                  > take you away from my
                  > site.

                  > Also, please note that the
                  > original publisher
                  > (Apologetics Press) has
                  > removed my name from
                  > the articles because I am
                  > no longer active in the
                  > Church of Christ.

                  > I regret the confusion this
                  > may cause.

                  Daniel Denham may want to get on that case and give Apologetics Press one of his "go to hell" speeches for not properly giving credit where credit is due!

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 4, 2007
                    "Robert Baty" <rlbaty@...> wrote:

                    > Rick,
                    >
                    > I take it back, in part! :o)
                    >
                    > Brad Bromling does make reference to Apologetics
                    > Press if you look far enough.
                    >
                    > He (Brad Bromling provides links to some of his
                    > articles and has this most interesting claim:
                    >
                    > > Some of the links will
                    > > take you away from my
                    > > site.
                    >
                    > > Also, please note that the
                    > > original publisher
                    > > (Apologetics Press) has
                    > > removed my name from
                    > > the articles because I am
                    > > no longer active in the
                    > > Church of Christ.
                    >
                    > > I regret the confusion this
                    > > may cause.

                    I guess he felt like he couldn't get the folks in the
                    Church of Christ to understand the thesis of his
                    doctoral dissertation:

                    Brad Bromling's dissertation:
                    http://b_bromling.tripod.com/dissertation1.htm

                    He pretty well spells it out in the first chapter.

                    > Daniel Denham may want to get on that case and
                    > give Apologetics Press one of his "go to hell"
                    > speeches for not properly giving credit where
                    > credit is due!

                    Denham's busy over on the Way Forward list just now,
                    I imagine. But while he's there he could certainly
                    be giving just such a speech to Keith Sisman, regarding
                    Sisman's plagiarized "history".

                    That Way Forward list sounds pretty progressive to me.

                    And progressivism is the same thing as liberalism,
                    isn't it?

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 4, 2007
                      "Robert Baty" <rlbaty@...> wrote (in part):

                      > Rick,
                      >
                      > Brad's "Focus" website, last I checked, was not
                      > WebTv friendly.
                      >
                      > Also, though I don't recall mentioning it before,
                      > I haven't been able to even access Apologetics Press
                      > from my WebTv. I've had to use other equipement to
                      > check developments there.

                      My word, fella; break down and buy you one of those
                      laptops they've been advertising in the banners at
                      the top of these pages! You can get candy-apple red,
                      tangerine, avocado, whatever!

                      I know you've been saving your quatloos for that trip
                      to the Tellicoe for the big debate, but it's looking
                      more and more like that isn't ever going to happen...

                      Rick
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 4, 2007
                        Rick,

                        Are you "just imagining" what is going on with The Way Forward list, or do you have some special insider information?

                        I noticed where Brad said there was a stumbling block of sorts regarding his dissertation. Perhaps you are right about what that was all about. That first chapter, interestingly enough, also mentions a "creation-evolution" seminar that Bob asked his friend to attend.

                        I had earlier noted the link to it, and thought you might find it and think it interesting, but I didn't actually read any of it myself until you commented on it.

                        It sounds so very familiar!

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 4, 2007
                          "Robert Baty" <rlbaty@...> wrote:

                          > Rick,
                          >
                          > Are you "just imagining" what is going on with
                          > The Way Forward list, or do you have some special
                          > insider information?

                          I "just imagine" there are "some" who would like to
                          know the answer to that! So shhh...

                          We managed to get one of our operatives in there.
                          Security's pretty tight, so we're under communication
                          blackout, radio silence, so we might not hear anything
                          for a few days. And who knows -- by then Dub McClish
                          may have the whole thing up on a website, or we can just
                          check the supposedly dismantled sons-of-demas site!

                          > I noticed where Brad said there was a stumbling block
                          > of sorts regarding his dissertation. Perhaps you are
                          > right about what that was all about. That first chapter,
                          > interestingly enough, also mentions a "creation-evolution"
                          > seminar that Bob asked his friend to attend.

                          Well, of course "Bob's" denominational friend "Larry"
                          needs to be a young-earther, too, or Bob couldn't go
                          hang out with him. But you see what a devastating
                          effect just a seemingly innocuous thing like a cookout
                          with the wrong crowd can lead to!

                          > I had earlier noted the link to it, and thought you might
                          > find it and think it interesting, but I didn't actually
                          > read any of it myself until you commented on it.
                          >
                          > It sounds so very familiar!

                          I think someone may have made some similar comments
                          a while back on the coCBanned list -- about how the
                          Church of Christ is known more for the format of the
                          worship service than anything else; i.e. what defines
                          a member of the Church of Christ basically comes down
                          to what he/she does for a couple of hours on Sundays.

                          Bromling did mention a propensity to engage in debate --
                          I wonder whatever happened to all that?

                          Maybe that's what they're up to on the Way Forward list!