Re: But, Gil...

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2 5:39 PM
      Rick, you wrote, in part:

      > Remember when Yoder
      > briefly dropped by here
      > for a few days, and once
      > we got the validity of
      > "Goliath" sorted out he...

      As I recall, it was when Gil finally "came out" to admit his error in making a big deal for years out of my using the terms "major premise" and "minor premise" to label the major and minor premises in my "Goliath of GRAS".

      It was nice to see him finally admit, explain and correct that error.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3 9:18 PM
        "Todd S. Greene" <greeneto@...> wrote:

        > I was doing a little web-surfing this evening, and
        > I've just learned that there's a huge library of
        > video and audio files of live show produced by a
        > group in Austin, Texas, called the Atheist Community
        > of Austin. You can view the videos of the program
        > online...
        >
        > There are dozens of programs. Here's a sample...
        >
        > Program #500
        > Consciousness. Tracie Harris talks about our current
        > understanding of the consciousness and that our selves
        > are completely in our brain.

        And our brains are in the Universe.

        But even my brain isn't completely in my brain, unless
        the Universe itself is in my brain, too.

        If other parts of the Universe besides my self have
        "consciousness", then my consciousness is part of that
        larger consciousness -- the Universal Mind. There is
        no other way but that "I" am of "It", within It, connected
        to It.

        The only part of my "self" that is defined by my brain
        is the part of my "self" that is defined by my brain.

        But how closely does my personal brain-generated "self"
        correspond to what my true self really is? Other selves
        see my self from a different perspective -- some of that
        feedback from other selves is incorporated into my own
        self and used as an adjustment of my own view of self.
        But how can I be sure those other selves even exist in
        reality? Maybe they're just all in my brain, too.

        My internet connection is too slow for me to watch videos,
        but Tracie Harris is a graphic artist with a degree in
        liberal arts. She is the creator of "Atheist Eve", a
        cartoon character who seems to be about as literal-minded
        about the Bible as the young-earth creationists -- if there
        was no global Flood a few thousand years ago then the Bible
        must not be true; if the Bible is not true then there is
        no God (although that isn't the way she would state it
        her *self*, of course, because then that would be making an
        affirmative statement).

        Here is a link to some of her comics... no, on second
        thought... they're not funny anyway and some of them are
        just plain offensive.

        I guess what I'm trying to say is that Tracie Harris is not
        one to be authoritatively telling us "our 'selves' are
        completely in our brain". The mystery of consciousness is
        by no means solved; it may be that it is unsolvable,
        particularly by empirical methods.

        Here is an article where one researcher suggests that a
        unified "Theory of Everything" may have to include
        consciousness:

        Why Great Minds Can't Grasp Consciousness:
        http://www.livescience.com/health/050808_human_consciousness.html

        Eric Lormand is a philosophy professor with a sense of humor:

        http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lormand/phil/cons/steps.htm
        (above link is a basic, scaled-down version of this next one):
        http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lormand/phil/cons/consciousness.htm

        I'll include this link because I like the quote at the end of
        the page:

        http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lormand/phil/teach/momma.htm

        Here's something pretty interesting;
        Global Consciousness Project:
        http://noosphere.princeton.edu/

        Wikipedia entry for "Quantum Mind":
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mind

        How we even choose to define "consciousness" becomes
        controversial -- when it gets right down to it we may have to
        acknowledge that consciousness belongs to things we would much
        prefer to think of as having no consciousness:

        | The White people never cared for the land or deer or bear.
        | When we Indians kill meat, we eat it all up. When we dig
        | roots, we make little holes. When we build houses, we make
        | little holes. When we burn grass for grasshoppers, we don't
        | ruin things. We shake down acorns and pinenuts. We don't
        | chop down the trees. We only use dead wood. But the White
        | people plow up the ground, pull down the trees, kill
        | everything. The tree says, "Don't. I am sore. Don't hurt me."
        | But they chop it down and cut it up. The spirit of the land
        | hates them. They blast out trees and stir it up to its depths.
        | They saw up the trees. That hurts them. The Indians never
        | hurt anything, but the White people destroy all. They blast
        | rocks and scatter them on the ground. The rock says, "Don't!
        | You are hurting me." But the White people pay no attention.
        | When the Indians use rocks, they take the little round ones for
        | their cooking . . . How can the spirit of the earth like the
        | White man? . . . Everywhere the White man has touched it, it is
        | sore.

        --Wintu holy woman, in McLuhan (ed.), "Touch the Earth".

        Rick Hartzog
        Worldwide Church of Latitudinarianism

        "O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
        To see oursels as others see us!"