FYI - Shows about atheism online

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2007
      I was doing a little web-surfing this evening, and I've just learned
      that there's a huge library of video and audio files of live show
      produced by a group in Austin, Texas, called the Atheist Community of
      Austin. You can view the videos of the program online through Google
      Video (the links are labeled as "Video" on the site link I'm going to
      give you), or you can listen to the audio of the programs as either
      MP3 files or OGG files right from the Show Archive page. (The shows
      are also available on DVD for $5 a disc.) Audio files are only
      available back to program #494. Online video is available back to
      program #328.

      - Todd Greene

      Here is the link to the "Atheist Experience Show" Archive page:

      http://www.atheist-experience.com/archive/index.php?full=1

      There are dozens of programs. Here's a sample of program topics (from
      the page):

      Program #503
      Responding to apologists. Ashley Perrien responds to some of the
      content on apologetics.com.

      Program #501
      Creationism Evolves. Russell Glasser talks about how creationism has
      evolved into intelligent design.

      Program #500
      Consciousness. Tracie Harris talks about our current understanding of
      the consciousness and that our selves are completely in our brain.

      Program #494
      Bad creationist arguments. Russell Glasser pokes some fun at some of
      the really bad creationist arguments.

      Program #483
      Old Testament Gods. Tracie Harris brings out more about the early
      history of the OT.

      Program #434
      Religious hypersensitivity. Ashley talks about religious
      hypersensitivity to criticism and parody.

      Program #405
      The Matrix. Don Baker discusses (with slides!) some parallels between
      Christianity and "The Matrix" while wearing shades.

      Program #388
      Debating Theists.

      Program #361
      Critique of "The Case for Faith" Keryn Glasser and Ashley Perrien
      take a look at Lee Strobel's "The Case for Faith" and find it wanting.

      Program #358
      Atheist Morality. Don talks about where atheist morals come from.
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
        "Todd S. Greene" <greeneto@...> quoted:

        > Burden of Proof
        > by Gil Yoder (July 9, 2007)
        > http://www.letusreason.com/arts/?rec=318

        [excerpt]

        > The burden of proof when it comes to Bible study comes
        > to those who make a positive claim about the Bible. If
        > the claim is true, it should be possible to prove it by
        > use of reason and truth. If one cannot prove that his
        > beliefs are true, it is presumptuous to affirm that
        > those beliefs are true just because they haven't been
        > proven false.

        But, Gil... where does that leave you, with your ideas
        that the Earth is only a few thousand years old?

        That belief HAS been proven false, time and time again.

        I would say it is worse than "presumptuous" for people to
        continue to affirm that the Genesis Creation must be taken
        as literal history.

        Remember when Yoder briefly dropped by here for a few
        days, and once we got the validity of "Goliath" sorted
        out he retreated to the "apparent age" position?

        How in the world are you supposed to "prove" a belief
        like that is true?

        Why is it so difficult for "some" people to accept that the
        Creation story is allegorical, and not a literal account
        of something that was supposed to have happened over the
        course of one week a few thousand years ago?

        Rick Hartzog
        Worldwide Church of Latitudinarianism
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
          Rick, you wrote, in part:

          > Remember when Yoder
          > briefly dropped by here
          > for a few days, and once
          > we got the validity of
          > "Goliath" sorted out he...

          As I recall, it was when Gil finally "came out" to admit his error in making a big deal for years out of my using the terms "major premise" and "minor premise" to label the major and minor premises in my "Goliath of GRAS".

          It was nice to see him finally admit, explain and correct that error.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
            "Todd S. Greene" <greeneto@...> wrote:

            > I was doing a little web-surfing this evening, and
            > I've just learned that there's a huge library of
            > video and audio files of live show produced by a
            > group in Austin, Texas, called the Atheist Community
            > of Austin. You can view the videos of the program
            > online...
            >
            > There are dozens of programs. Here's a sample...
            >
            > Program #500
            > Consciousness. Tracie Harris talks about our current
            > understanding of the consciousness and that our selves
            > are completely in our brain.

            And our brains are in the Universe.

            But even my brain isn't completely in my brain, unless
            the Universe itself is in my brain, too.

            If other parts of the Universe besides my self have
            "consciousness", then my consciousness is part of that
            larger consciousness -- the Universal Mind. There is
            no other way but that "I" am of "It", within It, connected
            to It.

            The only part of my "self" that is defined by my brain
            is the part of my "self" that is defined by my brain.

            But how closely does my personal brain-generated "self"
            correspond to what my true self really is? Other selves
            see my self from a different perspective -- some of that
            feedback from other selves is incorporated into my own
            self and used as an adjustment of my own view of self.
            But how can I be sure those other selves even exist in
            reality? Maybe they're just all in my brain, too.

            My internet connection is too slow for me to watch videos,
            but Tracie Harris is a graphic artist with a degree in
            liberal arts. She is the creator of "Atheist Eve", a
            cartoon character who seems to be about as literal-minded
            about the Bible as the young-earth creationists -- if there
            was no global Flood a few thousand years ago then the Bible
            must not be true; if the Bible is not true then there is
            no God (although that isn't the way she would state it
            her *self*, of course, because then that would be making an
            affirmative statement).

            Here is a link to some of her comics... no, on second
            thought... they're not funny anyway and some of them are
            just plain offensive.

            I guess what I'm trying to say is that Tracie Harris is not
            one to be authoritatively telling us "our 'selves' are
            completely in our brain". The mystery of consciousness is
            by no means solved; it may be that it is unsolvable,
            particularly by empirical methods.

            Here is an article where one researcher suggests that a
            unified "Theory of Everything" may have to include
            consciousness:

            Why Great Minds Can't Grasp Consciousness:
            http://www.livescience.com/health/050808_human_consciousness.html

            Eric Lormand is a philosophy professor with a sense of humor:

            http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lormand/phil/cons/steps.htm
            (above link is a basic, scaled-down version of this next one):
            http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lormand/phil/cons/consciousness.htm

            I'll include this link because I like the quote at the end of
            the page:

            http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lormand/phil/teach/momma.htm

            Here's something pretty interesting;
            Global Consciousness Project:
            http://noosphere.princeton.edu/

            Wikipedia entry for "Quantum Mind":
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mind

            How we even choose to define "consciousness" becomes
            controversial -- when it gets right down to it we may have to
            acknowledge that consciousness belongs to things we would much
            prefer to think of as having no consciousness:

            | The White people never cared for the land or deer or bear.
            | When we Indians kill meat, we eat it all up. When we dig
            | roots, we make little holes. When we build houses, we make
            | little holes. When we burn grass for grasshoppers, we don't
            | ruin things. We shake down acorns and pinenuts. We don't
            | chop down the trees. We only use dead wood. But the White
            | people plow up the ground, pull down the trees, kill
            | everything. The tree says, "Don't. I am sore. Don't hurt me."
            | But they chop it down and cut it up. The spirit of the land
            | hates them. They blast out trees and stir it up to its depths.
            | They saw up the trees. That hurts them. The Indians never
            | hurt anything, but the White people destroy all. They blast
            | rocks and scatter them on the ground. The rock says, "Don't!
            | You are hurting me." But the White people pay no attention.
            | When the Indians use rocks, they take the little round ones for
            | their cooking . . . How can the spirit of the earth like the
            | White man? . . . Everywhere the White man has touched it, it is
            | sore.

            --Wintu holy woman, in McLuhan (ed.), "Touch the Earth".

            Rick Hartzog
            Worldwide Church of Latitudinarianism

            "O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
            To see oursels as others see us!"