News item - Pope describes creation versus evolution as absurd

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2007
      Excerpt from:
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19956961/

      Pope: Creation vs. evolution clash an 'absurdity'
      (MSNBC News Services. 7/25/2007)

      LORENZAGO DI CADORE, Italy - Pope Benedict XVI said the debate raging
      in some countries — particularly the United States and his native
      Germany — between creationism and evolution was an "absurdity,"
      saying that evolution can coexist with faith.

      The pontiff, speaking as he was concluding his holiday in northern
      Italy, also said that while there is much scientific proof to support
      evolution, the theory could not exclude a role by God.

      "They are presented as alternatives that exclude each other," the
      pope said. "This clash is an absurdity because on one hand there is
      much scientific proof in favor of evolution, which appears as a
      reality that we must see and which enriches our understanding of life
      and being as such."

      He said evolution did not answer all the questions: "Above all it
      does not answer the great philosophical question, 'Where does
      everything come from?'"