Comments on theism/atheism, young earth creationism debate

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2007
      As I've indicated previously in other miscellaneous comments, my time
      now is rather constrained by some software projects I'm working on.
      So keep this in mind.

      In regard to a public oral discussion/debate on either theism/atheism
      and/or on young earth creationism (I would like it to be both on two
      separate nights), of course I would prefer it to take place in my
      geographical area (southern Michigan, such as the Lansing area; or
      northern Indiana, such as Fort Wayne area), but I'm stating this only
      as my preference, and not as a condition.

      In regard to any debate, I don't own a laptop computer but I know I
      can borrow one. However, I do require a projector and a screen to be
      accessible for my use for the debate, that is compatible with a
      Windows computer. That is a condition, not a preference.

      As I've stated in regard to funds, I simply don't have the money to
      spend on transportation outside of my area, so if it's outside my
      area my transportation would have to be subsidized. In regard to
      lodging and food, I can cover eating expenses. If it's more than one
      night, I would also require that the additional lodging expense be
      subsidized. If someone wants to put me up at their home, I certainly
      don't have any problem with that. (But not Daniel Denham, please! But
      if he wants to join me for coffee and breakfast somewhere, that's
      perfectly fine.)

      In regard to propositions that *I* will affirm, I do of course insist
      that I have a hand in writing them. I'm certainly not going to be
      participating in any debate where I'm saddled with "affirming"
      something this is an incorrect straw man representation of my
      position.

      In regard to timeframe planning, currently I can't see my doing this
      any time before October at the very earliest. (I'm certainly not
      going to tie up any of my time in the summer.)

      Note that I have made some of these comments similarly at times in
      the past, which are a matter of public record.

      - Todd Greene
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2007
        Todd,

        You're doing the right thing!

        Unfortunately, no one from David P. Brown's side has been willing to act in good faith to negotiate for a formal, in writing, or oral, for the record discussion on anything.

        None of them have come forward to deny the position of David P. Brown and his boys as I have set forth.

        That context provides a basis for taking up the evidence of age issue as THE issue in the debate and in such a way that it deals both with both "young-earth, creation-science" and the existence of a certain "god".

        Ahhhh!

        That must be why they won't "come out" and touch top, side or bottom of David P. Brown's position as I have represented it to be, without any legitimate exception being taken to it.

        Todd, I keep trying, and even begging!

        I apologize for the fact that, despite all of my efforts, I've simply been unable to "use" you in an actual, formal, written, or oral, for the record discussion on these important public issues.

        Maybe your post will generate some renewed and legitimate, good faith interest; maybe even from David P. Brown and the other "girlie-men", according to Donald Canny, on his ContendingFTF list.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 11, 2007
          Notice what I wrote previously (on 7/1/2007, post #10938):
          > In regard to propositions that *I* will affirm, I do of
          > course insist that I have a hand in writing them. I'm
          > certainly not going to be participating in any debate
          > where I'm saddled with "affirming" something this is an
          > incorrect straw man representation of my position.

          These Contentious For Tendentious Fallacies guys are denigrating this.
          Which means that they are arguing for THE OPPOSITE of what I wrote. And
          what does that mean?

          IT MEANS THAT THE ContentiousFTF GROUP IS INSISTING THAT THEY WILL NOT
          DEBATE ME UNLESS THEY GET TO SADDLE ME WITH A PROPOSITION THAT THEY
          WRITE THIS IS AN INCORRECT STRAW MAN REPRESENTATION OF MY POSITION.

          And, yes, we did already know that, didn't we?

          Chuckling,
          Todd Greene