Re: Cultic Foods!

  • dmathew1
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2003
      Hello Matthew,

      > Catfish! Aren't you glad you are not Orthodox? I sure would
      > miss catfish covered with cornmeal and deep fried with hush
      > puppies and slaw and a big glass of sweet tea with lots of
      > ice.

      David: Now that's gonna make me hungry. But it is difficult to make
      a choice between four thousand years of culture and one plate of
      catfish. Good thing I don't have to make a choice, thanks to my
      Gentile blood.

      > Some have tried to conclude that the Jewish dietary laws
      > were health-based. I am convinced that a 'Jewish Diet' is
      > not necessarily unhealthy, but the restrictions of the Law
      > were not primarily for health reasons. They seem to me to
      > mirror the separation God's people are to have from sin and
      > impurity in general.

      David: I agree. The Jewish diet served to distinguish Jews from
      other nations and therefore served an important role in preserving
      the culture as it was dispersed throughout the world.

      Best Regards,

      David Mathews