Re: The NI Faction & MDR!

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2003
      Al Maxey writes to BereanSpirit, in part (with changes for relevance):

      #######################

      "Yes. Let's face it, some things will never be grasped by some people.
      They just can't grasp them. Take the Maury matters, for example. I love
      Maury matters.

      It is perfectly logical to me, and comes easily. However, there are
      people who if they live to be 100 will never grasp certain Maury
      concepts, no matter how well they are explained. Such reasoning and
      logic are simply beyond their capacity to comprehend.

      In my many years of preaching and teaching, brother, I have seen this
      same thing with regard to certain biblical principles and concepts. Yes,
      basic Truth can be pretty much grasped by most people with even a
      limited mental
      capacity, but there are some things (such as the Maury matters which are
      often discussed on our lists) which some will simply never grasp.

      Try talking to Bert Thompson, Ph.D. sometime!!!"

      ######################

      My comments:

      Very well said, Al! I always figured you would be one to appreciate my
      "feeble attempts" at discourse with some of the big boys.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2003
        Bob Brandon, you wrote to BereanSpirit:

        "Robert:

        '(changes for relevance)'?

        Problem is that Al wasn't talking about Maury; you just put words in his
        mouth."

        #######################

        My comments:

        Considering the grief another Robert appears to be getting around here,
        it might be nice if folks would start specifying which Robert they are
        talking about. I wouldn't want to be mistaken for him. I got enough
        "enemies" already.

        Al's point is as applicable to "mathematics" and "Ira" as to "the Maury
        matters" and "Bert Thompson, Ph.D.". No impropriety in my application,
        IMHO!

        Bob Brandon, I think this is some of the simple stuff that Al was
        talking about that just about everybody is going to understand as to
        what I did and the point of the exercise.

        For those that cannot even grasp that much, there can be some
        discussion. You wiser heads can surely explain my post to them!

      • mathewmaury <sqi7o0hh02@sneakemail.com>
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2003
          --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, rlbaty@w... wrote:

          > Al Maxey writes to BereanSpirit, in part (with changes for
          > relevance):
          >
          > #######################
          >
          > "Yes. Let's face it, some things will never be grasped by
          > some people. They just can't grasp them. Take the Maury
          > matters, for example. I love Maury matters.
          >
          > It is perfectly logical to me, and comes easily. However,
          > there are people who if they live to be 100 will never grasp
          > certain Maury concepts, no matter how well they are
          > explained. Such reasoning and logic are simply beyond their
          > capacity to comprehend.
          >
          > In my many years of preaching and teaching, brother, I have
          > seen this same thing with regard to certain biblical
          > principles and concepts. Yes, basic Truth can be pretty much
          > grasped by most people with even a limited mental capacity,
          > but there are some things (such as the Maury matters which
          > are often discussed on our lists) which some will simply
          > never grasp.
          >
          > Try talking to Bert Thompson, Ph.D. sometime!!!"
          >
          > ######################
          >
          > My comments:
          >
          > Very well said, Al! I always figured you would be one to
          > appreciate my "feeble attempts" at discourse with some of
          > the big boys.
          >
          > Sincerely,
          > Robert Baty

          Congratulations Robert. It seems Al Maxey shares many of your
          interests. Why do you not invite him on to this list to
          discuss them? It would seem like an appropriate location for
          such discussion.

          I do not understand what he means by saying some people
          'never grasp certain Maury concepts, no matter how well they
          are explained.' Maury's 'Physical Geography of the Sea' was
          advanced for its day, but is written where most can
          understand it with a high school equivalent education. Or
          are these difficult concepts those of standard mariner
          navigation? Or Maury's basic political views of liberty and
          freedom and self-determination? I would be interested in
          hearing more from him about this.

          I am curious about Al's reference to 'Maury matters which
          are often discussed on our lists'. What Maury matters does
          he refer to and what are the lists on which these are often
          discussed?
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2003
            "mathewmaury" wrote, in part:

            "Congratulations Robert. It seems Al Maxey shares many of your
            interests. Why do you not invite him on to this list to discuss them? It
            would seem like an appropriate location for such discussion."

            My comments:

            My apologies for the confusion, but I did state that I had made changes.

            Al had referenced "mathematics" and "Ira" in his comments. I
            substituted Maury and Bert because what Al had to say has relevance to
            them as well.

            Sorry for any confusion. Al might have some appreciation for my trials
            and tribulations with things Maury, but he involves himself with other
            matter of more pressing concern to him; or so it seems.

            Sorry again if you got the wrong impression.