NEWS -- 2011.11.09.Wednesday

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2011
      1) Mississippi personhood
      2) How Frank Kameny turned the tables on J. Edgar Hoover
      3) Chick-Fil-A Fast Food Chain Donated Nearly $2 Million To Anti-Gay Groups In 2009
      4) Gay man stabbed with broken beer bottle, thrown onto fire in apparent hate crime in Reno, TX
      5) Gay Ottawa teen who killed himself was bullied
      6) Amtrak Lets You Surf The Web While Traveling, But Don't Try To Read Anything About Gay People

      1)
      Mississippi on parade --->

      Monday, November 07, 2011
      11-07-2011
      http://practicaldoubt.com/2011/11/07/the-mississippi-lt-governors-cosmic-battle/
      The Lt. Governor's Cosmic Battle
      During an interview with Bryan Fischer from the American Family Association, Mississippi Lt. Governor Phil Bryant (also a candidate for Mississippi State Governor) discusses his cosmic battle against Satan.

      "I believe I was led here by the Lord," Bryant said, regarding his position and Mississippi Initiative 26, otherwise known as the Personhood Initiative which defines a fertilized egg as a person and could potentially ban abortion and birth control in Mississippi.

      He goes on to explain that he is actually fighting against Satan's hand and "the gates of Hell," (otherwise known as the people who oppose Mississippi 26 and, specifically, Planned Parenthood).

      "This is a battle of good and evil. And, let's just make it plain, the evil side, the dark side of the forces, the Satan and those who would love to continue kill children while still in the womb are out there using every effort that they can..Even in these times, if you talk too much about the fact that evil does exist, people will think, 'Oh, well, something's wrong with him.' What times are we living in when it is politically incorrect for someone to say, 'Satan has a hand in this and you've gotta understand we've gotta fight against the gates of hell to prevail here.' And that's exactly what I've been saying, and.I see people recognizing the fact that this is a Biblical battle of good and evil."

      Why is it that someone of the rank of Lieutenant Governor is painting political opponents or anyone who doesn't support a ballot initiative as someone in league with Satan?

      Since he said it is "politically incorrect" to say that Satan's hand is guiding one's political opponents, he must know that such comments are unacceptable from someone holding his office or attempting to hold the office of governor. While it's somewhat useful to discuss these abhorrent comments, it may also be interesting to wonder what sort of populace elects such a man and actually cheers for such rhetoric.

      ----------

      Don't miss the video interview. Click on the button at the bottom of the website page.
      http://practicaldoubt.com/2011/11/07/the-mississippi-lt-governors-cosmic-battle/

      See also
      http://www.batangastoday.com/election-results-2011-mississippi-personhood-amendement-issue-26-rejected-by-voters/18342/

      http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Elections/2011/1109/Election-results-2011-Voters-signal-that-GOP-overreached

      http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News-Wires/2011/1108/Election-results-show-Americans-may-not-be-ready-to-throw-out-incumbents
      Excerpt ---
      In Mississippi, voters picked Republican Lt. Gov. Phil Bryant to succeed Haley Barbour, who could not run again because of term limits. Bryant beat Hattiesburg Mayor Johnny Dupree, the first black major-party nominee for governor in Mississippi.

      http://www.wmctv.com/story/15993084/republican-phil-bryant-wins-miss-governors-race

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Bryant
      My comment ---
      Bryant is a Southern Baptist clone want-a-be-- he's a United Methodist.

      http://gay.americablog.com/2011/11/how-frank-kameny-turned-tables-on-j.html
      Friday, November 4, 2011
      How Frank Kameny turned the tables on J. Edgar Hoover
      By John Aravosis (DC) at 11/04/2011 08:00:00 AM
      This is hysterical. I'd never heard about this. From Lou Chibbaro at the Washington Blade:

      In interviews with the Washington Blade in the 1980s and in 2006, Kameny told of how he and fellow members of the Mattachine Society of Washington, which Kameny co-founded, were contacted by an FBI agent in the summer of 1963 and invited to a meeting with the agent at FBI headquarters.

      Kameny recounted that he and Mattachine Society Member Bob Bellanger had no idea why they had been summoned to a meeting with the FBI, and the two wondered whether a crackdown against Mattachine was in the works.

      To their amazement, Kameny said, FBI Special Agent John A. O'Birne politely asked him and Bellanger to remove Hoover's name from the Mattachine Society's mailing list, saying Hoover did not wish to have his name on such a list.
      Kameny recounts how he told the agent he'd have to get back to him. Kameny subsequently wrote the agent and told him that he would only take Hoover's name off the list if the FBI agreed to give them the name of another agent to put on the list, and that the group would still reserve the right to send a newsletter to Hoover if it was really important. They never heard back from the FBI, but a subsequent records search shows an internal FBI memo saying the agency would never agree to demands from a "homosexual organization."

      Imagine the chutzpah to do this in 1963. We owe a lot to guys like this.

      More posts about: history
      We Recommend
      a.. Mega church pastor asks for donations for sick wife to be. (AMERICAblog)
      b.. Chicago bus driver allegedly throws gay couple off bus for. (AMERICAblog Gay)
      c.. NH GOP will now to try to repeal marriage equality rather. (AMERICAblog Gay)
      From Around the Web
      a.. 8 Gay Men Straight Women Love (MadameNoire)
      b.. Dealbreaker: He's the Only Gay Boy I Know (GOOD)
      c.. 'Out Late' Looks at Gays Coming Out After 50 (SecondAct.com)

      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/01/chick-fil-a-donated-anti-gay-groups-2009_n_1069429.html

      Chick-Fil-A Fast Food Chain Donated Nearly $2 Million To Anti-Gay Groups In 2009
      11/1/11
      Tuesday 01 November 2011

      Want a side order of anti-gay rhetoric with your chicken sandwich?
      Chik-Fil-A might be able to help you with that.

      According to EqualityMatters.org, the fast food company donated nearly $2 million in 2009 to groups that have anti-gay agendas.

      IRS 990 forms show that WinShape, the restaurant chain's charitable foundation which was founded by Chick-Fil-A's chairman S. Truett Cathy in 1994, gave to the following groups in 2009:

      a.. Marriage & Family Legacy Fund: $994,199
      b.. Fellowship Of Christian Athletes: $480,000
      c.. National Christian Foundation: $240,000
      d.. Focus On The Family: $12,500
      e.. Eagle Forum: $5,000
      f.. Exodus International: $1,000
      g.. Family Research Council: $1,000
      An earlier investigation by Equality Matters found that Chick-Fil-A, which was recently voted the third most beloved restaurant chain in the United States, donated more than $1 million to anti-gay groups between 2003 and 2008. The IRS forms from 2009 are the most recent available as public records.

      In January Chick-Fil-A president Dan Cathy defended the chain saying, "We're not anti-anybody... Our mission is to create raving fans."

      Cathy was also forced to respond to gay activists' claims after the company provided lunch at a marriage-training event sponsored by Pennsylvania Family Institute.

      Cathy asserted, "While my family and I believe in the Biblical definition of marriage, we love and respect anyone who disagrees."
      In recent months students attending at least six universities, including University of North Texas, Mississippi State University, and the University of New Orleans, have launched petitions asking their schools not to support anti-LGBT businesses like Chick-Fil-A.

      LGBT activists have also staged protests at a number of the chain's locations throughout the country, including Chicago and Hollywood.

      http://www.dallasvoice.com/paris-attack-1093329.html
      Gay man stabbed with broken beer bottle, thrown onto fire in apparent hate crime in Reno, TX
      October 31, 2011

      UPDATE: Three suspects have been arrested in connection with this crime. Read more here.
      A 26-year-old gay man says he was the victim of a brutal hate crime early Sunday in Reno, Texas - a small town just east of Paris and about 100 miles northeast of Dallas.

      Burke Burnett said he was at a private party at about 1 a.m. when four men suddenly attacked him, stabbing him at least twice with a broken beer bottle before throwing him onto a fire. His attackers yelled things like "pussy-ass faggot," "gay bitch" and "cock-sucking punk," Burnett said.

      Burnett said it took 30 stitches to close stab wounds to his back and forearm, as well as a cut above his left eye. He also sustained second-degree burns and severe bruises.

      "They knew I was gay," Burnett said Monday. "I'm convinced they were trying to kill me."

      Jeff Sugg, interim chief of the Reno Police Department, released a statement Monday afternoon saying: "The Reno Police Department is currently investigating an aggravated assault that took place last weekend. The investigation is ongoing and additional information will be provided when available."

      Reno police officials declined to further discuss their investigation.

      Burnett said the officer investigating the case told him the attack will be classified as a hate crime. But Burnett said his attackers, whose identities are known, remain at large, and the officer told him it could be two weeks before they're arrested.

      "I'm scared for my life," Burnett said, adding that he's staying with a family friend. "I'm scared to go home. These guys have nothing to lose."

      Burnett said he grew up in Paris and came out as gay when he was 15. He knows at least one of his attackers personally. Two of the suspects have been to prison and may be on parole, he said.

      Burnett said he's attended several parties at the residence and was invited by his straight friend who lives there. He arrived at the party several hours earlier with three gay friends. However, the group left after someone at the party was overheard making anti-gay remarks such as, "These faggots don't deserve to be here. Somebody needs to get them out of there." Burnett said he didn't hear the remarks and wasn't aware of them when he returned to the party later in the evening with one of his girlfriends.

      Burnett said he was sitting inside a large metal shed called "the party shop" when he was blindsided with a punch to his left eye. When he got up and tried to defend himself, one of his attackers stabbed him in the back with a broken beer bottle. Burnett called the stab wound "a kill shot" but said fortunately it didn't puncture his lung.

      One of the suspects stabbed him a second time in the right forearm - cutting into the muscle but missing an artery - before he was thrown onto a lit burn barrel.

      At that point, some of Burnett's girlfriends managed to slow down the attackers enough so that he could escape to a vehicle. None of the other 20 people at the party attempted to stop the attack, he said.

      Burnett's girlfriends eventually drove him to a hospital in Sulphur Springs, about 30 miles away.

      Burnett said he's hoping none of his injuries are permanent. He's scheduled to return to the doctor on Friday.

      Chivas Clem, one of Burnett's gay friends who accompanied him to the party, contacted Dallas Voice and other media outlets about the attack Monday morning. Chivas said he fears people in the small, conservative town will try to brush the incident under the rug.

      "I intend to make sure the Police Department follows through with this, and that the local press covers it," Chivas said. "When I saw him [Burnett], I vomited because he looked so bad - and I cried."

      Another one of Burnett's gay friends, Austin Holloman, said he's heard police are considering downgrading the charges to misdemeanors because the attack occurred at a party. Holloman said he recently moved to Paris to live with his partner, who's from there and has known Burnett since childhood.

      "We don't want people thinking this is OK in this area," Holloman said. "We plan on being here forever."

      ----------

      pictures at URL

      http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2011/10/18/ottawa-teen-suicide-father.html?cmp=rss
      Gay Ottawa teen who killed himself was bullied
      Jamie Hubley was a figure skater and the only openly gay boy in his school

      CBC News Canada
      The father of a gay Ottawa teen who committed suicide Saturday told CBC News his son was constantly bullied throughout elementary school and into high school.

      Allan Hubley, an Ottawa city councillor who represents Kanata South Ward, also spoke Tuesday about his 15-year-old son Jamie's depression over the bullying and his desperate desire for acceptance.

      Hubley said the bullying began when Jamie was in Grade 7 and teens tried to stuff batteries down his throat on the school bus because he was a figure skater.

      "[Jamie] was the kind of boy that loved everybody," said Hubley, "He couldn't understand why everyone would be so cruel to him about something as simple as skating."

      "He just wanted someone to love him. That's all. And what's wrong with that? Why do people have to be cruel to our children when all they want to do is be loved?" said Hubley, speaking on the phone with the CBC's Ashley Burke.

      In high school, the relentless teasing focused on the fact that Jamie was openly gay.

      Suicide note posted on teen's blog
      Jamie Hubley died Saturday. A suicide note was posted on his online blog where he spoke of his love for singing and pop music including Lady Gaga, Adele, Katy Perry and Christina Aguilera.

      The note also spoke of the pain from both bullying and depression.

      "I'm tired of life, really. It's so hard, I'm sorry, I can't take it anymore," his note read.

      "I don't want my parents to think this is their fault, either. I love my mom and dad. It's just too hard. I dont want to wait three more years, this hurts too much."

      'I couldn't fix my own boy and that's tearing me apart.'-Allan Hubley
      The Kanata teenager also described how he hated being the only openly gay boy in his school. His family had tried to help by moving him from a Kanata Catholic high school to A.Y. Jackson Secondary School, which is a public school.

      Hubley had even spoken out for gay students at A.Y. Jackson through the Rainbow Club, a gay-straight alliance. But the bullying did not stop and there were no other openly gay teenagers at that school, either.

      The Ottawa-Carleton District School Board released a statement Tuesday sending its condolences to the Hubley family. It also spoke about bullying in schools and how it could lead to depression.

      "I couldn't agree more about the importance of dealing with these issues. These are complex issues that we have to deal with as a community", said Jennifer Adams, the board's director of education.

      Local community opening up about teen suicide
      Awareness of teen depression and mental health has grown in Ottawa recently, particularly after the death of Daron Richardson, the 14-year-old daughter of former NHLer Luke Richardson.

      That death and a series of teen suicides in the Ottawa Valley in 2010 have forced communities to design better strategies to address the issue, including identifying signs of depression earlier and removing the stigma surrounding mental health issues.

      Jamie Hubley struggled with depression for a long time, his father said, but no matter how much his parents tried to help, the teen could not escape his sadness.

      "I lost a beautiful, beautiful child that was going to make the world a better place. I've been involved in a lot of things in my community ... but I couldn't fix my own boy and that's tearing me apart," Allan Hubley said.

      ----------

      pictures at URL

      http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111021/17042416460/amtrak-lets-you-surf-web-while-traveling-dont-try-to-read-anything-about-gay-people.shtml

      October 21, 2011
      Amtrak Lets You Surf The Web While Traveling, But Don't Try To Read Anything About Gay People
      from the wtf? dept
      The Maryland Juice blog has been following a story in which Montgomery County, Maryland's local government has instituted an overly aggressive web filter for government employees, that seems to block all sorts of sites that mention things about gays or lesbians. And they're not just doing sitewide blocking, but picking out news articles on the subject -- suggesting that it's not just a case of an overactive blacklist of sites, but a system that specifically blocks pages with words related to gays and lesbians. For example, a CNN article about a transgendered basketball player was completely blocked.

      After getting some more info on this, the blogger at Maryland Juice noticed that there was WiFi on the Amtrak train he was on, and tried to check out another news site that someone told him had been blocked by the County... and discovered that Amtrak appeared to be blocking news about gays and lesbians, too:

      This, of course, is one of the serious problems with any sort of plan for government mandated filters. They tend to significantly over-filter perfectly legitimate content that is protected free speech.

      LOTS of comments at the URL. The rightwingers are out in full force.
      Among other things, the links lead to this ---
      http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110808/01533615427/motion-to-quash-against-copyright-troll-explains-how-ip-address-does-not-id-user.shtml

      The sad legacy of 9/11 is that the assholes, on each side, won.
      --- Chris Hedges

      My comment ---
      There essentially is no difference in radical Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, etc.
      All are blinded by faith. And all want to tell you what to do.