Skip to search.

NEWS -- 2011.10.08.Saturday

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2011
      1) Mitchell Gold on Thomas Roberts on MSNBC
      2) Gay Man Commits Suicide After Mormon Church Severs Afterlife Ties to His Children

      3) Rebel flag still flying in black SC neighborhood
      4) Poverty pervades the suburbs
      5) 10 highest-paid bank CEOs
      6) Best places for the rich and single
      7) American cities going broke -- top 10

      wall street, my opinion ---
      The cost of illegal aliens ("Mexicans") in this country is money in the bank compared to what white men on Wall Street have cost this country.

      Quote ---
      In a world as interconnected as ours, it could not be clearer that unless we human beings learn to deal with one another with respect, understanding, and even compassion, the fate of the human race on this small planet is uncertain.
      --- The Very Rev. Samuel T. Lloyd, Dean, Washington Cathedral, 11 September 2011

      We must love one another, or die. W. H. Auden. Or something like that.

      Tuesday 04 October 2011

      http://www.faithinamerica.org/stopping-teen-suicides/

      Earlier today our co-founder Mitchell Gold joined Thomas Roberts on MSNBC to talk about bullying and the tremendous effect it has on youth across the nation. If you weren't able to see this segment, we are pleased to share it with you. Click here to see the interview. It was an important opportunity for Faith in America to be able to address the harm done to youth by not just bullying in the classroom but the rejection they face in their places of worship as well. Mitchell so gracefully said that we are here, as an organization, to tell those LGBT youth who have been told they are sinner and not worthy of love, that they are perfect, just as god created them.

      from the gay Mormon list ---

      http://unicornbooty.com/2011/10/gay-man-commits-suicide-after-mormon-church-severs-afterlife-ties-to-his-children/
      Technically it was his family that tried to bury the truth, not the church.
      Ultimately, of course, it was the church's teachings (and culture) that motivated them to do so.

      Gay Man Commits Suicide After Mormon Church Severs Afterlife Ties to His Children
      Unicorn Booty (blog)
      Now you know that it's not just students bullying gay classmates to death. Now you know how the LDS church bullied a father to his death and then attempted to prevent the world from finding out.

      It is true Bryan's family has done their best to sanitize his memory.

      http://news.yahoo.com/rebel-flag-still-flying-black-sc-neighborhood-075154630.html
      Rebel flag still flying in black SC neighborhood
      By BRUCE SMITH - Associated Press | Monday 26 September 2011
      SUMMERVILLE, S.C. (AP) - A year ago, dozens marched to protest the Confederate flag a white woman flew from her porch in a historically black Southern neighborhood. After someone threw a rock at her porch, she put up a wooden lattice. That was just the start of the building.

      Earlier this year, two solid 8-foot high wooden fences were built on either side of Annie Chambers Caddell's modest brick house to shield the Southern banner from view.

      Late this summer, Caddell raised a flagpole higher than the fences to display the flag. Then a similar pole with an American flag was placed across the fence in the yard of neighbor Patterson James, who is black.

      One hundred and fifty years after the Civil War began about 20 miles away in Charleston Harbor, fights continue over the meaning of the Confederate flag. Some see it as a symbol of slavery and racism; others like Caddell say it's part of their Southern heritage.

      "I'm here to stay. I didn't back down and because I didn't cower the neighbors say I'm the lady who loves her flag and loves her heritage," said the 51-year old Caddell who moved into the historically black Brownsville neighborhood in the summer of 2010. Her ancestors fought for the Confederacy.

      Last October, about 70 people marched in the street and sang civil rights songs to protest the flag, while about 30 others stood in Caddell's yard waving the Confederate flag.

      Opponents of the flag earlier gathered 200 names on a protest petition and took their case to a town council meeting where Caddell tearfully testified that she's not a racist. Local officials have said she has the right to fly the flag, while her neighbors have the right to protest. And build fences.

      "Things seemed to quiet down and then the fences started," Caddell said. "I didn't know anything about it until they were putting down the postholes and threw it together in less than a day."

      Aaron Brown, the town councilman whose district includes Brownsville, said neighbors raised money for the fences.

      "The community met and talked about the situation," he said. "Somebody suggested that what we should do is just go ahead and put the fences up and that way somebody would have to stand directly in front of the house to see the flag and that would mediate the flag's influence."

      Click to see more images

      Caddell isn't bothered by the fences and said they even seem to draw more attention to her house.

      "People driving by here because of the privacy fences, they tend to slow down," she said. "If the objective was to block my house from view, they didn't succeed very well."

      The Confederate flag remains a sensitive issue in South Carolina.

      The battle emblem of the Confederacy had flown on the dome of the Statehouse in Columbia since the Civil War centennial in the 1960s when state lawmakers voted in 2000 to move it to a Confederate monument in front of the building. The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People has waged a tourism boycott on the state since then as it seeks to have the flag removed from the Statehouse grounds.

      Caddell, Brown and James all say things have been quiet in Brownsville in recent months.

      "She's got a right to do what she wants to do," James said. "That's all I really have to say. She can do what she wants to do in her yard, but I don't share her beliefs."

      http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Poverty-pervades-the-cnnm-893289229.html

      Poverty pervades the suburbs
      www.CNNMoney.com
      Tami Luhby, On Friday September 23, 2011, 5:57 pm EDT

      Guess where most people in poverty live? Hint: It's not in the inner cities or rural America.

      It's in the idyllic suburbs.

      A record 15.4 million suburban residents lived below the poverty line last year, up 11.5% from the year before, according to a Brookings Institution analysis of Census data released Thursday. That's one-third of the nation's poor.

      And their ranks are swelling fast, as jobs disappear and incomes decline amid the continued weak economy.

      Since 2000, the number of suburban poor has skyrocketed by 53%, battered by the two recessions that wiped out many manufacturing jobs early on, and low-wage construction and retail positions more recently.

      America's cities, meanwhile, had 12.7 million people in poverty last year, up about 5% from the year before and 23% since 2000. The remaining 18 million poor folks in the U.S. are roughly split between smaller metro areas and rural communities.

      "We think of poverty as a really urban or ultra-rural phenomenon, but it's not," said Elizabeth Kneebone, senior research associate at Brookings. "It's increasingly a suburban issue."

      Suburbia's population has boomed among all classes in recent decades as job growth shifted from central cities to their outskirts. Low-wage workers were needed to service this burgeoning number of residents and companies.

      Suburbia became home to the greatest concentration of impoverished residents by 2005, Kneebone said. That stemmed in part from the collapse of the manufacturing industry based outside Midwestern cities. The loss of those jobs contributed to pushing many into poverty.

      The Great Recession, however, accelerated the rise of the suburban poor, as it did the overall poverty rate.

      The downturn also shifted where in suburbia poverty was intensifying. The collapse of the housing market caused the ranks of the poor to spike in Sun Belt communities, such as those surrounding Lakeland, Fla., and Riverside, Calif. Many low-income people had moved there during the boom to make money building and caring for homes or working in the retailers and restaurants that cropped up to service the new residents.

      Who are the suburban poor?

      The face of the suburban poor is diverse.

      To be sure, there were many suburbanites entrenched in poverty even before 2000. Nearly 10 million people fell below the poverty line at the start of the last decade.

      They were then joined by new immigrants, who increasingly skipped the cities and moved directly to their outskirts in search of plentiful, but low-wage, construction or service jobs. The foreign born accounted for about 17% of the increase in the suburban poor between 2000 and 2009, according to a Brookings report.

      Also, as wages eroded over the past decade, some people living on the edge found themselves pushed into poverty. For 2010, the poverty line stood at $22,314 a year for a family of four.

      "If they are working minimum-wage jobs and see their wages decline or stagnate, they may now see themselves below the poverty line," Kneebone said.

      And, of course, there is a whole new set of impoverished suburbanites: the formerly middle class who lost their jobs. These folks may have been living the American dream -- with the house, car and white-picket fence -- but then saw it disappear in the Great Recession.

      Faces of poverty

      The Community Action Partnership of Suburban Hennepin has seen a crush of middle-class residents walk through its doors after losing their jobs, said Marcy Harris, planning and development director at the agency, which is outside Minneapolis. "We saw people who never thought they would use a food bank. They used to contribute to them," Harris said. "And now they are here."

      Straining the safety net

      Once they fall into poverty, suburbanites often have a harder time accessing services that can aid them because many of these areas aren't equipped to handle the growing numbers, especially amid government budget cuts.

      "It can be difficult to find help in many suburban communities," said Scott Allard, associate professor at the University of Chicago who has studied the issue. "Providers are overwhelmed with demand or there are not that many providers to begin with."

      Nearly three-quarters of suburban non-profit agencies said they are seeing more clients who had never accessed aid, according to a report Allard published last year. A growing number of requests were for help with food or housing.

      Many agencies told Allard they had to put newcomers on waiting lists or refer them to other organizations. But these groups are often far apart and difficult to access, especially for those without cars.

      Also, many suburban poor don't know where to turn when they are in dire straits. Or they fear the stigma of having to ask for government assistance, not wanting to let their neighbors know they're in trouble.

      "By and large, if you drive through the suburbs, it looks like the American dream is still healthy and real," said Donna Cooper, senior fellow at the Center for American Progress, a left-leaning policy group. "But behind closed doors, there are increasing numbers of people who don't have jobs, their retirement nest eggs are gone and they can't meet their mortgage payments."

      Since poverty in the suburbs still remains largely hidden, it can be hard for charitable organizations located there to raise money.

      Kneebone recently visited an affluent suburb of Denver, where the poverty rate has doubled in the last decade. The social service agencies there told her they were having a tough time getting area residents to understand the extent of the problem.

      "People still donate to organizations in the city," she said. "They don't realize that right in their own neighborhoods, there is need."

      View this article on CNNMoney

      http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/23/news/economy/poverty_suburbs/index.htm

      http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/news/companies/1109/gallery.highest_paid_bank_ceos/
      10 highest-paid bank CEOs
      J.P. Morgan Chase's Jamie Dimon made $20.8M in 2010, a hefty 1,541% increase from the dark paydays of 2009. See which other bank executives raked in big bucks last year.

      --- click on URL to continue ---

      http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/moneymag/1108/gallery.best_places_rich_single.moneymag/index.html
      Best places for the rich and single
      Looking for Mr. or Ms. Moneybags? Hunt down the perfect mate in these wealthy cities, which are brimming with unattached professionals.

      --- click on URL to continue ---

      http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/article/113588/american-cities-going-broke-247wallst

      They want to take away your civil rights. --->

      from the Family Research Council --- stealth political machine of the Southern Baptist Church
      Faith, Family & Freedom Money Bomb is here!
      September 28, 2011

      Dear ________,

      The Faith, Family & Freedom Money Bomb kicked off this morning, and we're seeing support pour in from friends all across the country.

      Now we need you. Your contribution to this campaign will help Family Research Council (FRC) meet our fiscal year-end online goal of $200,000 by September 30.

      FRC puts every dollar you contribute directly toward the defense of marriage, human life and religious freedom. In contrast, Washington collects your money and funnels it to organizations like Planned Parenthood and into other programs that weaken the family.

      Your values are under attack. You can watch it happen even at the highest levels of our government. President Obama has ignored his constitutional oath to uphold the laws of our nation and has said he will not defend marriage as defined by one man and one woman. You can learn more here, and if you're fed up, take action.

      I hope you'll stand with us today.

      Standing for you in Washington, D.C. (Ephesians 6:13),

      Tony Perkins
      President

      My comment ---
      Nobody knows how to lie and bear false witness like a Southern Baptist, or an SB clone.
      And there are a lot of them who refuse to listen to anything else. They have been blinded by their "faith".
      Their theological mythology. I'm so glad to see you. Now turn around so I can stab you in the back.

      That's the way they think, unaware and selfish, while denying it all.

      We just want you to find Jesus and be happy in Him.

      Theological selfishness.