NEWS -- 2011.07.11.Monday

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2011
      1) for organ music fans in Philadelphia October 1st
      2) Obama Speech At LGBT White House Reception Observing Pride Month - Text
      3) ‘God Has Created You for Heterosexuality’: Clinics Owned by Michele Bachmann’s Husband Practice Ex-Gay Therapy
      4) Michele Bachmann's Top Ten Anti-Gay Quotes
      5) Religious Leader Shoots 4 Year Old Boy To Death Because He Might Be Gay
      6) 70 Year-Old Stoned To Death Because The Bible Says To Stone Gays

      1)
      On Saturday night October 1st in Philadelphia ---
      http://www.wanamakerorgan.com/
      Our next major Centennial event is on Saturday October 1, 2011: a concert with Peter Richard Conte, conductor Rossen Milanov and the Symphony in C. Works include the Charles-Marie Widor Sixth Symphony for Organ and Orchestra, Joseph Jongen's "Hymne" and the Guilmant Symphony No. 2 for Organ and Orchestra.

      My comment --
      The Guilmant is the top of the organ/symphony literature, and available on YouTube.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7es98AW8nYI

      http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/obama-speech-at-lgbt-white-house-reception-observing-pride-month-text/politics/2011/06/30/23008

      Obama Speech At LGBT White House Reception Observing Pride Month - Text
      by David Badash on June 30, 2011

      in Civil Rights,Marriage,News,Politics

      THE WHITE HOUSE

      Office of the Press Secretary

      June 29, 2011

      REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT

      AT RECEPTION OBSERVING LGBT PRIDE MONTH

      East Room

      6:00 P.M. EDT

      THE PRESIDENT: Hello, everybody! (Applause.) Welcome to the White House. (Applause.)

      Nothing ruins a good party like a long speech from a politician. (Laughter.) So I’m going to make a short set of remarks here. I appreciate all of you being here. I have learned a lesson: Don’t follow Potomac Fever — (laughter) — because they sounded pretty good.

      We’ve got community leaders here. We’ve got grassroots organizers. We’ve got some incredible young people who are just doing great work all across the country -– folks who are standing up against discrimination, and for the rights of parents and children and partners and students –

      AUDIENCE MEMBER: And spouses.

      THE PRESIDENT: —  and spouses. (Applause.) You’re fighting for the idea that everyone ought to be treated equally and everybody deserves to be able to live and love as they see fit. (Applause.)

      Now, I don’t have to tell the people in this room we’ve got a ways to go in the struggle, how many people are still denied their basic rights as Americans, who are still in particular circumstances treated as second-​class citizens, or still fearful when they walk down the street or down the hall at school. Many of you have devoted your lives to the cause of equality. So you all know that we’ve got more work to do.

      But I think it’s important for us to note the progress that’s been made just in the last two and a half years. I just want everybody to think about this. (Applause.) It was here, in the East Room, at our first Pride reception, on the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall riots, a few months after I took office, that I made a pledge, I made a commitment. I said that I would never counsel patience; it wasn’t right for me to tell you to be patient any more than it was right for folks to tell African Americans to be patient in terms of their freedoms. I said it might take time to get everything we wanted done. But I also expected to be judged not by the promises I made, but the promises I kept.

      Now, let’s just think about it. I met with Judy Shepard. I promised her we’d pass an inclusive hate crimes law, named after her son, Matthew. And with the help of Ted Kennedy and others, we got it done and I signed the bill. (Applause.)

      I met Janice Lang-​ben, who was barred from the bedside of the woman she loved as she lay dying, and I told her we were going to put a stop to that discrimination. And I issued an order so that any hospital in America that accepts Medicare or Medicaid –- and that means just about every hospital in America -– has to treat gay partners just as they have to treat straight partners. Nobody in America should have to produce a legal contract. (Applause.)

      I said we’d lift the HIV travel ban. We got that done. (Applause.) We put in place the first national strategy to fight HIV/​AIDS. (Applause.)

      A lot of people said we weren’t going to be able to get “don’t ask, don’t tell” done, including a bunch of people in this room. (Laughter.) And I just met Sue Fulton, who was part of the first class of women at West Point, and is an outstanding advocate for gay service members. It took two years through Congress -– working with Admiral Mullen and Secretary Gates and the Pentagon. We had to hold together a fragile coalition. We had to keep up the pressure. But the bottom line is we got it done. And in a matter of weeks, not months, I expect to certify the change in policy –- and we will end “don’t ask, don’t tell” once and for all. (Applause.)

      I told you I was against the Defense — so-​called Defense of Marriage Act. I’ve long supported efforts to pass a repeal through Congress. And until we reach that day, my administration is no longer defending DOMA in the courts. The law is discriminatory. It violates the Constitution. It’s time for us to bring it to an end. (Applause.)

      So bottom line is, I’ve met my commitments to the LGBT community. I have delivered on what I promised. Now, that doesn’t mean our work is done. There are going to be times where you’re still frustrated with me. (Laughter.) I know there are going to be times where you’re still frustrated at the pace of change. I understand that. I know I can count on you to let me know. (Laughter and applause.) This is not a shy group. (Laughter.)

      But what I also know is that I will continue to fight alongside you. And I don’t just mean as an advocate. You are moms and dads who care about the schools that your children go to. You’re students who are trying to figure out how to pay for going to college. You’re folks who are looking for good jobs to pay the bills. You’re Americans who want this country to prosper. So those are your fights, too. And the fact is these are hard days for America. So we’ve got a lot of work to do to, not only on ending discrimination; we’ve got a lot of work to do to live up to the ideals on which we were founded, and to preserve the American Dream in our time -– for everybody, whether they’re gay or straight or lesbian or transgender.

      But the bottom line is, I am hopeful. I’m hopeful because of the changes we’ve achieved just in these past two years. Think about it. It’s astonishing. Progress that just a few years ago people would have thought were impossible. And more than that, what gives me hope is the deeper shift that we’re seeing that’s a transformation not just in our laws but in the hearts and minds of people — the progress led not by Washington but by ordinary citizens.

      It’s propelled not by politics but by love and friendship and a sense of mutual regard and mutual respect. It’s playing out in legislatures like New York. (Applause.) It’s playing out in courtrooms. It’s playing out in the ballot box, as people argue and debate over how to bring about the changes where we are creating a more perfect union. But it’s also happening around water coolers. It’s happening at Thanksgiving tables. It’s happening on Facebook and Twitter, and at PTA meetings and potluck dinners, and church halls and VFW Halls.

      It happens when a father realizes he doesn’t just love his daughter, but also her partner. (Applause.) It happens when a soldier tells his unit that he’s gay, and they say, well, yeah, we knew that –- (laughter) — but, you know, you’re a good soldier. It happens when a video sparks a movement to let every single young person out there know that they’re not alone. (Applause.) It happens when people look past their differences to understand our common humanity.

      And that’s not just the story of the gay rights movement. It is the story of America, and the slow, inexorable march towards a more perfect union.

      I want thank you for your contribution to that story. I’m confident we’re going to keep on writing more chapters.

      Thank you very much, everybody. (Applause.)

      END 6:10 P.M. EDT

      ‘God Has Created You for Heterosexuality’: Clinics Owned by Michele Bachmann’s Husband Practice Ex-Gay Therapy
      Mariah Blake
      July 8, 2011

      http://www.thenation.com/article/161883/%E2%80%98god-has-created-you-heterosexuality%E2%80%99-clinics-owned-michele-bachmann%E2%80%99s-husband-practi

      In the summer of 2004, Andrew Ramirez, who was just about to enter his senior year of high school, worked up the nerve to tell his family he was gay. His mother took the news in stride, but his stepfather, a conservative Christian, was outraged. “He said it was wrong, an abomination, that it was something he would not tolerate in his house,” Ramirez recalls. A few weeks later, his parents marched him into the office of Bachmann & Associates, a Christian counseling center in Lake Elmo, Minnesota, which is owned by Michele Bachmann’s husband, Marcus. From the outset, Ramirez says, his therapist—one of roughly twenty employed at the Lake Elmo clinic—made it clear that renouncing his sexual orientation was the only moral choice. “He basically said being gay was not an acceptable lifestyle in God’s eyes,” Ramirez recalls. According to Ramirez, his therapist then set about trying to “cure” him. Among other things, he urged Ramirez to pray and read the Bible, particularly verses that cast homosexuality as an abomination, and referred him to a local church for people who had given up the “gay lifestyle.” He even offered to set Ramirez up with an ex-lesbian mentor.

      Ramirez was not impressed. After his second appointment, he resolved not to go back, despite the turmoil it might cause in his family. “I didn’t feel it was something that I wanted to change, and I didn’t think it could be changed,” he says. “I was OK with who I was.”

      As Republican presidential contender Michele Bachmann has surged in the polls, the spotlight has turned on her husband and main political adviser, Marcus Bachmann, who has a PhD in clinical psychology and owns two Christian counseling centers in Minnesota. There has been a great deal of speculation that his clinics, which have received $161,000 in state and federal funding, try to cure homosexuality—and the chatter has only grown louder since his comments likening gays to “barbarians” who “need to be educated” and “disciplined” surfaced in the blogosphere last week. Marcus Bachmann has denied these allegations. “That’s a false statement,” he replied when the Minneapolis City Pages asked if his clinic tried to cure gays. And until now there was no firm evidence to back these allegations up. But information obtained by The Nation suggests that Bachmann & Associates therapists do, in fact, try to change sexual orientation. It also sheds new light on the Bachmanns’ embrace of the controversial ex-gay movement and related psychological approaches, which portray homosexuality as a disease to be rooted out.
      Some of the most potent material was provided by Truth Wins Out, a gay rights group that opposes the ex-gay movement. In late June, a Truth Wins Out activist named John Becker donned two hidden cameras—one embedded in a wristwatch—and attended five treatment sessions at Bachmann’s Lake Elmo clinic. Becker, who is openly gay, presented himself as a committed Christian who was struggling with homosexuality. The video he collected seems to confirm Ramirez’s allegations that staff members at Bachmann & Associates try to change sexual orientation. Becker’s therapist (another of Marcus Bachmann’s employees) repeatedly assured him that homosexuality could be overcome. “At the core value…in terms of how God created us, we’re all heterosexual,” he explained, according to the footage. “God has created you for heterosexuality.” The therapist also mined Becker’s personal history for traumatic experiences that might have turned him gay. To curb Becker’s gay impulses, the therapist urged him to pray and read Scripture and suggested Becker “develop” his masculinity. He also encouraged him to find a “heterosexual guy” to act as act as an AA-type sponsor. Later, he referred Becker to Outpost Ministries, a church that helps “the sexually and relationally broken”—in other words, homosexuals—“find healing and restoration through relationship with Jesus Christ.”

      At moments in the videos, Becker seemed to try to bait the therapist into saying something controversial. For instance, Becker brought up a conversation in which his brother told him that gay people could just as easily go to heaven as anyone else and pressed the therapist to say this wasn’t so: “I mean, he was wrong, right, with what he said? He was wrong, wasn’t he?” The therapist tried to dodge the question. Becker pressed him again, and the therapist changed the subject. In later sessions, Becker spoke excitedly about ex-gay literature he’d found, which raises the question: to what degree was the therapist simply following his lead?

      Both Bachmann & Associates and the Bachmann campaign declined to comment for this story, though in the past Marcus Bachmann has insisted his clinics don’t push people to change their sexual orientation. “If someone comes in a homosexual and they want to stay a homosexual, I don’t have a problem with that,” he told the Minneapolis City Pages. Nevertheless, the techniques the therapist at his Lake Elmo clinic used were typical of so-called reparative therapies, which cast homosexuality as a mental disorder and see conversion to heterosexuality as the only healthy outcome. “The explicit goal of the sessions was transforming Becker from homosexual to heterosexual,” says Wayne Besen, Truth Wins Out’s executive director.

      Most professional psychologists view reparative therapy skeptically, to say the least. In 2007 the American Psychological Association assembled a task force to study the effectiveness of this approach. After spending two years sifting through the available research—it evaluated eighty-three studies dating back to 1960—the group concluded that there was scant evidence that sexual orientation could be changed. What’s more, it found that attempting to do so could cause depression and suicidal tendencies among patients. Based on these findings, in 2009 the APA voted to repudiate reparative therapy by a margin of 125 to 4.

      Despite these facts, the approach continues to be embraced by conservative culture warriors and the ex-gay movement—and the Bachmanns fall squarely in this camp. Michele Bachmann has made no secret of her disdain for homosexuality. She has likened teaching about it in schools to “child abuse” and dubbed homosexuality itself a “sexual dysfunction.” She has also said gay marriage is “probably the biggest issue that will impact our state and our nation in the last, at least, thirty years.”

      Less well known is the Bachmanns’ fondness for ex-gay ideology. One sign of this is the close bond they have cultivated with Janet Boynes, an African-American woman who claims that she was driven to drugs and lesbianism by the abuse she suffered as a child—among other things, she was raped by an altar boy. She says she broke free of the “lesbian lifestyle” after an encounter with a Christian woman in a grocery store parking lot set her on the path to salvation. Boynes has since come out strongly against gay rights. For instance, she was featured in a national ad campaign against hate crimes protection for gays and has argued that “it is a mockery to everything blacks suffered and the rights we won to claim that homosexuality is a civil rights issue.”

      Both Boynes and the Bachmanns declined to comment on their relationship. (“They are friends. I love them dearly. But I will not talk about the Bachmanns,” Boynes said when contacted by phone for this article. “This interview is over.”) But the Bachmanns have leaned on Boynes to promote their antigay message. In 2005, Marcus Bachmann gave a presentation called “The Truth About the Homosexual Agenda” at the Minnesota Pastors’ Summit, a gathering of conservative religious leaders designed to build support for anti–gay marriage legislation. According to Curt Prins, a Minneapolis marketing consultant who was in attendance, Bachmann first offered his professional assessment that same-sex attraction was an affliction that could be rooted out. Then, as confirmation, he called Boynes to the stage to tell her story and show off before-and-after photos—a dour masculine-looking woman with cropped hair, followed by a smiling paragon of femininity. Prins, who is gay, says the crowd went wild. “They thought this was the word of God,” he recalls.

      Boynes has also made a number of public appearances alongside Michele Bachmann. And the website for Boynes’s ministry, which aims to help people overcome homosexuality, features a glowing endorsement from the Minnesota Congresswoman. According to photos Becker took, Boynes’s book, Called Out: A Former Lesbian’s Discovery of Freedom, is displayed in the lobby of Bachmann & Associates’ Lake Elmo clinic, along with a note from Marcus Bachmann, saying, “Janet is a friend. I recommend this book as she speaks to the heart of the matter and gives practical insights of truth to set people free.”

      What does it mean to be set free? In April, Boynes, who has become a prominent ex-gay spokeswoman, was featured on the Oprah Winfrey Network, along with a former drag-queen stripper named Christian, whom she supposedly helped draw out of the “gay lifestyle.” At one point, host Lisa Ling asked Christian if he still struggled with attraction to men. He said he did, painfully: “I describe it as bleeding out of my eyeballs.”

      Ramirez, the former Bachmann & Associates patient, who is now working for a hardwood lumber company, says it was stories like these that prompted him to come forward. Since dropping out of therapy, he has come to terms with his sexuality and delved more deeply into his Christian faith. He wants other young gay people to know they can do the same. “I want to send a clear message,” he says. “There’s nothing wrong with you. One day you will find love and acceptance.”

      ----------
      Mariah Blake
      Mariah Blake is a writer based in Washington, DC. Her work has appeared in Mother Jones, the New Republic, Foreign...

      http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/michele-bachmanns-top-ten-anti-gay-quotes/politics/2011/06/02/21233
      Michele Bachmann's Top Ten Anti-Gay Quotes
      by David Badash on June 2, 2011

      in Civil Rights,Gay Agenda,News,Politics,Religion

      Michele Bachmann (R-MN), founder of the U.S. House of Representatives’ Tea Party Caucus, belongs to a denomination of the Lutheran Church and has been the foster parent to 23 children. Her radical, bigoted, anti-​gay religious views dictate her political policies and focus.
      In 2004, Michele Bachmann, then Minnesota state Senator Bachmann, attempted to get an anti-​gay marriage amendment on the Minnesota ballot as a voter referendum to write discrimination directly into her state’s constitution. It failed. Most of these quotes are from Bachmann in 2004.

      Here are Michele Bachmann’s top ten anti-​gay statements:

      a.. “It’s part of Satan I think to say that this is “gay.” It’s anything but gay.” — Senator Michele Bachmann, speaking at EdWatch National Education Conference, November 6, 2004.
      b.. “If you’re involved in the gay and lesbian lifestyle, it’s bondage. It is personal bondage, personal despair and personal enslavement.” — Senator Michele Bachmann, speaking at EdWatch National Education Conference, November 6, 2004.

      c.. “You have a teacher talking about his gayness. (The elementary school student) goes home then and says “Mom! What’s gayness? We had a teacher talking about this today.” The mother says “Well, that’s when a man likes other men, and they don’t like girls.” The boy’s eight. He’s thinking, “Hmm. I don’t like girls. I like boys. Maybe I’m gay.” And you think, “Oh, that’s, that’s way out there. The kid isn’t gonna think that.” Are you kidding? That happens all the time. You don’t think that this is intentional, the message that’s being given to these kids? That’s child abuse.” — Senator Michele Bachmann, speaking at EdWatch National Education Conference, November 6, 2004.
      d.. “Don’t misunderstand. I am not here bashing people who are homosexuals, who are lesbians, who are bisexual, who are transgender. We need to have profound compassion for people who are dealing with the very real issue of sexual dysfunction in their life and sexual identity disorders.” — Senator Michele Bachmann, on homosexuality as a mental disorder, speaking at EdWatch National Education Conference, November 6, 2004.
      e.. “It isn’t that some gay will get some rights. It’s that everyone else in our state will lose rights. For instance, parents will lose the right to protect and direct the upbringing of their children. Because our K-​12 public school system, of which ninety per cent of all youth are in the public school system, they will be required to learn that homosexuality is normal, equal and perhaps you should try it. And that will occur immediately, that all schools will begin teaching homosexuality.” – Senator Michele Bachmann, on what will happen if her same-​sex marriage ban amendment fails to pass in 2004, appearing as guest on radio program “Prophetic Views Behind The News,” hosted by Jan Markell, KKMS 980-​AM, March 6, 2004
      f.. “This is a very serious matter, because it is our children who are the prize for this community, they are specifically targeting our children.” — Senator Michele Bachmann, on the gay community and same-​sex marriage, appearing as guest on radio program “Prophetic Views Behind The News”, hosted by Jan Markell, KKMS 980-​AM, March 20, 2004.
      g.. “The sex curriculum will be essentially by taught by the local gay community.” — Senator Michele Bachmann, if her same-​sex marriage ban amendment does not pass in 2004, appearing as guest on radio program “Prophetic Views Behind The News”, hosted by Jan Markell, KKMS 980-​AM, March 20, 2004.

      h.. “And what a bizarre time we’re in, Jan, when a judge will say to little children that you can’t say the pledge of allegiance, but you must learn that homosexuality is normal and you should try it.” — Senator Michele Bachmann, appearing as guest on radio program “Prophetic Views Behind The News”, hosted by Jan Markell, KKMS 980-​AM, March 6, 2004.
      i.. “Our children will be forced to learn that homosexuality is normal and natural and that perhaps they should try it, and that’ll be very soon in our public schools all across the state, beginning in kindergarten.” — Senator Michele Bachmann, appearing as guest on radio program “Prophetic Views Behind The News”, hosted by Jan Markell, KKMS 980-​AM, March 6, 2004.
      j.. “We are wide open and vulnerable and in all likelihood an activist judge will strike down our Defense of Marriage Act, our state law against gay marriage, this year. And in all likelihood, we will have gay marriage in 2004 in Minnesota , if we don’t get this amendment on the ballot for November.” — Senator Michele Bachmann, appearing as guest on radio program “Prophetic Views Behind The News”, hosted by Jan Markell, KKMS 980-​AM, March 20, 2004.

      Here’s a bonus one:

      a.. “This is not about hating homosexuals. I don’t. I love homosexuals.” — Senator Michele Bachmann, appearing as guest on radio program “Prophetic Views Behind The News”, hosted by Jan Markell, KKMS 980-​AM, March 20, 2004.
      In 2009, Bachmann helped raise funds for You Can Run But You Cannot Hide International, a Christian youth ministry that holds assemblies in public schools and was founded by the Bradlee Dean, the preacher who was recently forced to stop delivering his invocation in the Minnesota legislature because it so offended even the Republicans there.

      Many of these quotes were said to radio host and founder of Olive Tree Ministries, Jan Markell, whose website warns,

      “It says in Revelation 13 that there will some day be a one-​world system; a one-​world government. Some have termed this “the new world order”. Another term heard frequently that means the same thing is “globalism”. Various organizations are playing into this. The leading ones include the United Nations, the European Union, and NATO, but more minor players would be world trade organizations like the “North American Free Trade Association” (NAFTA). The Antichrist will be the chief globalist and will head up this one-​world system during the Tribulation. The stage is being set.”

      Thanks to The Bachmann Record for the quotes. Visit them for others, including non-​LGBT specific quotes.

      http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/religious-leader-shoots-4-year-old-boy-to-death-because-he-might-be-gay/news/2011/07/08/23361

      Religious Leader Shoots 4 Year Old Boy To Death Because He Might Be Gay
      by David Badash on July 8, 2011

      in News,Religion

      A religious leader in North Carolina shot to death his four-​year old step son because he thought the boy, Jadon Higganbothan, might be gay. The man, Peter Lucas Moses, 27, who also shot to death a 28-​year old woman, may face the death penalty.

      Moses, whom police stopped short of calling a cult leader, lived in a one-​room home with nine children and three women. The 28-​year old woman, Antoinetta Yvonne McKoy, Moses killed had been beaten and strangled with an extension cord before Moses murdered her. The day he did, she had escaped to a neighbor’s house and begged her to use her cell phone. The neighbor did not call police because she claims she thought the woman might be mentally disturbed. She witnesses Moses dragging her into the house, and still never called police.

      More, via WRAL:

      Moses beat her throughout most of the day, with the women joining in at least once, and tried to strangle her with an extension cord, according to the witness.

      The witness described how McKoy begged for her life, but Sisk got the gun Moses used to kill Jadon and took it to the bathroom, prosecutors said. The women told Moses “you cannot let her go” and said they feared him going to jail, Cline said.

      They turned on the same music in the bathroom and took McKoy in there, prosecutors said. Sisk shot McKoy several times, killing her, they said.

      The group threw a party a few days later, prosecutors recalled the witness saying, and Moses showed McKoy’s body to several relatives, including his mother Sheilda Evelyn Harris, 56, his brother P. Leonard Moses, 21, and his sister, Sheila Falisha Moses, 20.

      McKoy’s body was also kept in the house for some time, taped up inside black garbage bags placed in garbage bin, prosecutors said the witness told them.

      A few salient facts:

      Religious extremism is at the heart of this sad story. The children were home schooled. Neighbors ignored them. This took place in North Carolina, the current subject of a social agenda campaign against the LGBT community. A same-​sex marriage equality ban may be on the 2012 ballot.

      Good thing they have their priorities in order.

      “In the religious belief of that organization, homosexuality was frowned on,” Cline [the DA] said. Huh? That better not be allowed in court.

      “Investigators think some of those involved in the deaths were members of a religious sect known as the Black Hebrews, which believes it descends directly from the ancient tribes of Israel,” the Republic stated.

      (hat tip: Pride In Utah)

      http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/70-year-old-stoned-to-death-because-the-bible-says-to-stone-gays/news/2011/03/18/18138

      70 Year-Old Stoned To Death Because The Bible Says To Stone Gays
      by David Badash on March 18, 2011

      in Bigotry Watch,News,Religion

      A 28 year-​old Philadelphia-​area man admitted he stoned to death a 70 year-​old man because the Bible says to stone homosexuals. John Joe Thomas reportedly killed Murray Joseph Seidman, whom he knew, and told police, “I stoned Murray with a rock in a sock,” because he had read in the Bible that gays should be stoned.

      According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, “The young man and Seidman were often seen together grocery shopping and going to church,” and “He then described how he placed batteries and rocks in a sock, and hit Seidman in the head at least 10 times.”

      Think about this. Gays are being stoned to death in 21st century America. Actually, we don’t even know if the man who was stoned was gay, but his murderer thought he was.

      This past Tuesday, Rev. Keith Ratliff Sr., a Baptist minister and president of the Iowa-​Nebraska chapter of the NAACP, demanded the “gay community stop hijacking the civil rights movement.”

      Ratliff called any parallel between the African-​American civil rights movement and the gay civil rights movement an “insult.”

      I’m pretty sure not being stoned to death falls into the civil right of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

      Americablog’s John Aravosis says, “The Bible is quite literally used to kill us,” and adds:

      Every single bigot who quotes the Bible against gays is responsible for this man’s death.

      And not to defend the killer, but he’s right. The Bible does says to kill gays. How Christians get away with selling the Bible with those quotes still inside is beyond me. Here are numerous versions of the Bible — note what the say about killing gays:

      (The following is also via Aravosis at AmericaBlog)

      New International Version (©1984)
      “‘If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

      New Living Translation (©2007)
      “If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense.

      English Standard Version (©2001)
      If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

      New American Standard Bible (©1995)
      If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act;they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them.

      GOD’S WORD® Translation (©1995)
      When a man has sexual intercourse with another man as with a woman, both men are doing something disgusting and must be put to death. They deserve to die.

      King James Bible
      If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood [shall be] upon them.

      American King James Version
      If a man also lie with mankind, as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be on them.

      American Standard Version
      And if a man lie with mankind, as with womankind, both of them have committed abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

      Bible in Basic English
      And if a man has sex relations with a man, the two of them have done a disgusting thing: let them be put to death; their blood will be on them.

      Douay-​Rheims Bible
      If any one lie with a man se with a woman, both have committed an abomination, let them be put to death: their blood be upon them.

      Darby Bible Translation
      And if a man lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall certainly be put to death; their blood is upon them.

      English Revised Version
      And if a man lie with mankind, as with womankind, both of them have committed abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

      Webster’s Bible Translation
      If a man also shall lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination:they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

      World English Bible
      “‘If a man lies with a male, as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

      Young’s Literal Translation
      And a man who lieth with a male as one lieth with a woman; abomination both of them have done; they are certainly put to death; their blood is on them.

      I’m sorry, but the book is quite clear about the need to murder gay people. Why beat around the bush about it? Yes, I know the translation is wrong, but it’s the accepted translation in far too many mainstream versions of the Bible (I do love how bigoted Christians like to pretend that the Bible was written in English 2000 years ago, so the translation just can’t be wrong — even though English didn’t even exist back then.) And Christians do nothing about it, other than quote it against us in order to take away our civil rights.

      Any questions?