NEWS -- 2009.06.09.Tuesday evening

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2009
      Even though I am not able to do NEWS for a while, I must report that the rightwing is getting worse. --->

      from Tony Perkins and the FRC --->

      Tuesday, June 9, 2009
      Supremes Give Military Suit the Boot

      As recently as last week, President Obama reiterated his commitment to overturning the ban on homosexuals serving openly in the military. After yesterday's decision by the U.S. Supreme Court, it's clear that his administration will have to wage that battle the hard way--in Congress. The justices refused to hear a challenge to the constitutionality of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy brought by Army Capt. James Pietrangelo, who was discharged from the military after disclosing his same-sex attractions.

      For our troops and those who care about preserving the integrity of the Armed Services, this is incredibly good news. In effect, the justices have said that if the President wants to repeal the 16-year-old policy (the military ban on sodomy predates the U.S. Constitution and traces back to the British Articles of War), he will have to do so through the proper legislative channels. And if history is any indication, the House and Senate will be far more reluctant than this President to turn our military into a sea of social experimentation.

      As Congress has long recognized, homosexuality is completely incompatible with military service. According to a recent White House letter from over 1,050 high-ranking retired Flag and General Officers, allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly would "add to the stress of war and disrupt training, operations, and unit cohesiveness."

      Even recruiting would suffer. A 2008 Military Times poll found that 58% of active-duty military personnel object to overturning the ban. Almost a quarter of the respondents said that if the policy were repealed they wouldn't re-enlist or at least consider not re-enlisting. And I don't blame them.

      As a Marine, I'm more than familiar with the living and working conditions of our soldiers. Those on the far Left who have never served in the military have no concept of the intimate environment--the open showers or the cramped sleeping quarters. I can tell you from personal experience that the lack of privacy is difficult, but introducing forced cohabitation with homosexuals would create an atmosphere of sexual tension that compromises our troops' readiness. Not taking these realities seriously shows contempt for those who serve and a willingness to put political correctness ahead of national security.

      Additional Resources
      Read more about the Supreme Court decision

      I Heart N.Y. Marriage

      Adding to the good news, it looks like conservatives in the New York Senate have taken matters into their own hands after six months of liberal control. Monday, not long after I landed in Albany for today's marriage rally, word was spreading about the drama that unfolded in the state capitol. Sick and tired of the leadership's extreme agenda, two Democrats, Pedro Espada and Hiram Monserrate, agreed to vote with the Republicans--effectively ending the liberal majority and reinstating Dean Skelos (R) as Senate President.

      The "coup," as it's being called, took nearly everyone in the capitol by surprise. The reports I've gotten up here indicate that the Democrats' push for same-sex "marriage" legislation may have factored into the revolt. After the new President and majority leader were sworn in, Sen. Skelos set to work restructuring committees and reassigning chairmanships. With Republicans in charge of these important posts, our chances of winning the same-sex "marriage" debate have definitely improved.

      The drama in the capitol certainly made for an interesting backdrop at today's Stand 4 Marriage rally, held on the East Steps of the Albany statehouse. There I was joined by Rev. Sen. Ruben Diaz (D), Mike Long, Chairman of the State Conservative Party, and at least 1,500 New Yorkers who were more concerned about the threat of counterfeit marriage than the threat of rain. As I told the crowd, there are people who say we're on the wrong side of history when it comes to redefining marriage. The truth is, we stand in line with 5,000 years of human history that says we're on the right side. Despite what some say, rewriting the laws of marriage will not lead to peace in society. With it come new conflicts over the church, education, charitable work, free speech, and religious freedom. If you think marriage is the caboose to this liberal engine for change, you are mistaken. This is just the beginning of a new train that is hauling plenty of unwanted cargo that will affect us all, where we live, where we worship, and where we work.

      Additional Resources
      Bloomberg: N.Y. Senate Goes Republican, Aided by Two Democrats

      Media Note

      Calling all early-risers! I am scheduled to appear on "Fox and Friends" tomorrow (Wednesday) morning at 6:45 a.m. (EST) to discuss President Obama's faith. If you can't tune in, check on our website, www.frc.org, later tomorrow for the interview.

      ----------

      My comment ---
      So the rightwing wants to "discuss" Obama's faith? Why not ask them about their "faith", their theological mythology?

      My comment ---
      There's quite a movement gaining speed in California among some gay groups to put gay marriage back on the ballot in November 2010. Our side will not win, because our side does not know how to win. Indeed, the rightwing will be more fiercely "loving" than before. So nice, so sweet. So bigoted -- with a loving jesus smile. And we will be defeated once again.

      Needless to say, I hope I am proven wrong.

      from Wayne Besen
      Truth Wins Out
      Tuesday morning 09 June 2009

      ACTION ALERT

      Thank Grand Valley State University for hosting panel discussion on danger of "ex-gay" industry

      The gross hypocrisy and outright cynicism is difficult to believe.

      Focus on the Family is bringing their notorious "ex-gay" road show, Love Won Out, to Grand Rapids, Michigan this week. In response, GrandValley State University is hosting my presentation, followed by a panel discussion on the danger of ex-gay programs.

      Focus on the Family is livid and demands that the panel include anti-gay Focus on the Family speaker Michael Brown. They are urging their huge mailing list to complain and bully university officials.

      "The 'Religion and Homophobia' panel discussion seems awfully one-sided for an event sponsored by the school's 'inclusion and equity' department," wrote Gary Schneeberger, vice president of media and public relations at Focus on the Family.

      Focus on the Family might be taken seriously if they had actually extended an invitation to gay advocates and pro-gay preachers to speak at Love Won Out. I'd be more than happy to present my slide show, "Pray Away The Gay?" on Saturday, at the Focus on the Family event. I'd even bring along the original photograph I took of Love Won Out's "ex-gay" founder, John Paulk, (pictured) fleeing a gay bar.

      Unfortunately, no such invitation was forthcoming. It seems that Focus on the Family has a double standard when it comes to inclusion and diversity. They demand representation, yet do not have the decency, manners and common courtesy to extend an invitation of their own. And, they wonder why their assertions of "love" and "morality" are deemed politically motivated and insincere.

      If you are encouraged that Grand Valley is offering this program -- "Religion and Homophobia: Spiritual Violence in our Community" -- then let the university know: 616-331-2221.

      If you are in Michigan and would like to attend the panel, please visit www.TruthWinsOut.org for more information.

      Wayne Besen
      Executive Director
      Truth Wins Out

      "Religion and Homophobia: Spiritual Violence in Our Community" is set for Thursday, June 11, from 7-9 p.m. in the Eberhard Center, room 215, on Grand Valley's Pew Grand Rapids Campus at 301 W. Fulton St. The event is free and open to the public.

      NEW YORK - Truth Wins Out announced today that its Executive Director, Wayne Besen, would be in Grand Rapids, Michigan, to participate in actions to educate the public about the dangers of the "ex-gay" industry. Besen is the author of "Anything But Straight: Unmasking the Ex-Gay Myth". The educational events coincide with Love Won Out, Focus on the Family's "pray away the gay" road show, which will be held on June 13.

      "The community response has been incredible and we are looking forward to countering the misinformation that Focus on the Family will import into Grand Rapids," said Wayne Besen, Executive Director of Truth Wins Out. "It is important that people know that you can't pray away the gay, but you can learn to love people for who they truly are."

      Grand Valley State University departments have teamed up to host a panel discussion on religion and homophobia that will feature national and local experts. "Religion and Homophobia: Spiritual Violence in Our Community" is set for Thursday, June 11, from 7-9 p.m. in the Eberhard Center, room 215, on Grand Valley's Pew Grand Rapids Campus at 301 W. Fulton St. The event is free and open to the public.

      Besen will begin the discussion with a presentation about the validity of "ex-gay" reparative ministries or therapies. Truth Wins Out is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to defending the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community against anti-gay misinformation campaigns.

      Panel members will include the following:
      .. John Corvino, Wayne State University professor, author and lecturer;
      .. Milt Ford, director of Grand Valley's LGBT Resource Center;
      .. Judith Snow, Grand Rapids area forensic therapist and author;
      .. Doug Van Doren, pastor of Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ;
      .. Josh Sleutel, GVSU student, previous reparative therapy patient.

      The event is sponsored by Grand Valley's Division of Inclusion and Equity, Dean of Students Office, LGBT Resource Center, Women's Center, Women and Gender Studies Department, Office of Multicultural Affairs, Liberal Studies Department, Allies and Advocates, and the LGBT Faculty and Staff Association.

      For more information, call the LGBT Resource Center at (616) 331-2530.

      Additionally, the National Organization of Women is planning a protest response to "Love Won Out". It will take place on Saturday June 13 at the Calder Plaza from noon-1pm.