A letter to the editor from my sister

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006
      My sister, Laura Deal, wrote the following letter to the Boulder
      Daily Camera. Don't know if they'll print it yet. They had done a
      story about older gay couples, and some "i-dot" (a family word of
      ours for idiot) took offense, so she fired off the following:

      I'm saddened to read that Robert W. Wagner ("What is this
      doing on the front page?") sees ugliness where I see a story of love
      and people
      accepting who they are at heart. The
      "old-fashioned" morality Mr. Wagner mentions has too often been a
      cover
      for
      family abuse, the stifling of rights, and the enforcement of an
      arbitrarily
      narrow set of behaviors that left many people hurt and broken.

      I appreciated the cover page story on gay seniors, and I
      hope that it helps raise awareness so that all people can find
      peace,
      comfort,
      respect, and support in their senior years.
      Thank you, Daily Camera, for shedding light on lives that have
      been
      forced into the shadows for far too long.
      If the "new-fashioned" morality means we allow people to love
      one
      another, I'm all for it.