Re: [MatthewsPlaceForum] Re: Canadian News

  • John P. Day
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
      No. This vote was on an amendment which would have postponed the whole thing until September. It had to be defeated in order to go on to the vote approving third reading of the bill. It was defeated 158 to 127. As you'll note, 29 Liberals + 93 Conservatives + 2 Bloc + 1 NDP + 2 Independents adds up to 127 in favour of putting the whole issue "on the long finger" as the Irish expression has it. 94 Liberals + 3 Conservatives + 45 Bloc + 16 NDP and 1 Independent adds up to 158 opposing delay and proceeding to the vote on third reading. The next vote was 158 for and 133 against giving the bill its final reading and sending it to the Senate.

      Hope that makes things a little clearer!
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2005
        Thanks for the explanation John. I am not sure if you
        are aware of David Mainse's most recent
        strategy. He is from 100 Huntley Street. He was
        criticized for fear mongering by making comments that
        implied God would withdraw His protection from Canada
        now. He gave a long explanation denying that was
        what he said and his explanation was a very strong
        implication exactly that would happen. Now he is
        trying to get everybody in Canada to write the Queen
        to insist that the bill not be signed into law.

        Gary