Re: Mormonville

  • John Patrick
    Message 1 of 311 , Jan 2, 2005
      I'm not a fan of the Church of LDS, but I do believe in being fair to
      them.

      The Utah legislature recently did move for something close to civil
      unions. I presume that if the Church elders didn't exactly approve,
      they didn't do much against it either.

      The "have a problem" as it appears in Mr. Hinckley's statements is a
      concession by the gentleman that gays don't choose to be gay.

      --- In MatthewsPlaceForum@yahoogroups.com, "Vega Alopex"
      <buddyalopex@y...> wrote:

      > Usually those who think others "have a problem" are really the ones
      > with the problem. After catching the clergy of the Catholic Church
      > in more than a few lies and deceptions, I have no problem with
      > finding similar "problems" with another denomination, particularly
      > one that still revolts against the nineteenth century. Mormons
      > wanted to escape from the United States -- maybe we should have let
      > them to avoid such abominations as Schrub.
      > Al
      >
      > --- In MatthewsPlaceForum@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Martin"
      > <martinjg@f...> wrote:
      > > Happy New Year
      > http://www.icq.com/img/friendship/static/card_16961_rs.swf

      > ----------------------------
      > >
      > > Three items.
      > >
      > > 1)
      > > Mormon Leader: 'Gays Have A Problem'
      > > by Ed Welch 365Gay.com Los Angeles Bureau
      > > http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/12/122804ldsGay.htm

      > > (Los Angeles, California) The president of The Church of
      > Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints says that gays have "a problem"
      and
      > need help.
      > >
      > > Appearing on CNN's Larry King Live Sunday night December
      > 26th, Gordon B. Hinckley stressed the importance of the traditional
      > family, telling King that of gays, "We love these people and try to
      > work with them and help them. We know they have a problem. We want
      > help them solve that problem."
      > >
      > > King then asked the 94-year old leader of the world's
      Mormons
      > if the "problem" is one caused by gays themselves or one they were
      > born with.
      > >
      > > "I don't know. I'm not an expert on these things. I don't
      > pretend to be an expert on these things. The fact is, they have a
      > problem, Hinckley replied.
      > >
      > > "Many people who have to discipline themselves. If they
      > transgress, they become subject to the discipline of the Church.
      But
      > we try in every way that we know how to help them, to assist them,
      > bless their lives."
      > >
      > > Hinckley also reiterated the LDS opposition to same-sex
      > marriage. Asked about civil unions Hinckley told King that the
      Church
      > wants to be cautious.
      > >
      > > "Well, we want to be very careful about that, because that -

      > whatever may lead to gay marriage, we're not in favor of."
      > >
      > > Earlier this year the Mormon Church was instrumental in
      > getting passage of an amendment to the Utah Constitution banning
      gay
      > marriage. In a statement published by the Church two weeks before
      > voters in the heavily LDS state went to the polls the Church said
      > that men should only marry women and that ''any other sexual
      > relations, including [those] between persons of the same gender,
      > undermine the divinely created institution of family.'' (story)
      > http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/10/102004ldsAmend.htm
      > >
      > > Hinckley's appearance on the King show was his fourth. The
      > interview also touched on the church's relationship to African
      > Americans.
      > >
      > > The Church did not allow blacks to hold the priesthood
      until
      > 1978. King, who is Jewish, but whose wife is a Mormon, asked if
      > there will ever be a black prophet.
      > >
      > > "There could be," Hinckley responded noting that he earlier
      > this year dedicated an LDS temple in Ghana and expects to dedicate
      > another one in Nigeria next year.
      > >
      > > ©365Gay.com 2004

      > ---------------
      > >

      > > 2)
      > > Here's an excellent story to counter the above prejudiced crap
      from
      > Hinckley.
      > >
      > > http://www.advocate.com/new_news.asp?id=14699&sd=12/30/04
      > >
      > > Gay Miami teen gets accolades for inspiring peers

      > ---------------
      > >

      > > 3)
      > > Reggie White quotes.
      > > http://www.hatespeech.com/subpages/hatespeech/claremont.html
      > > Gays are like liars and cheaters
      > >
      > > " 'Homosexuality is a decision, it's not a race,' White
      > said. 'People from all different ethnic backgrounds live in this
      > lifestyle. But people from all different ethnic backgrounds also
      are
      > liars and cheaters and malicious and back-stabbing.' " - Reggie
      > White, Associated Press, March 25, 1998.
      > >
      > > Gays hurt children, kill our people
      > >

      > > "White said he stands by his remarks regarding gays. `I am going
      > speak the truth and I am going to speak out against things that's
      > hurting our children, that's killing off our people,' White said.
      `If
> [...]
      > defensive lineman who retired and unretired last week, used ethnic
      > stereotypes and called homosexuality `'one of the biggest sins'' in
      > the Bible in his remarks last month. 'They were too scared of the
      > Sodomite community is what they said,' Sara White told
      > ABC's '20/20'." - ASSOCIATED PRESS, April 26, 1998
      > >

      > > Gays responsible for STDs
      > >
      > > "America is not big enough to shake her fist in the face of a
      holy
      > God and get away with it, and as I read this I want to explain
      > something. I'm going to read this and then I want to explain
      > something. As America has permitted homosexuality to establish
      itself
      > as an alternate lifestyle, it is also reeling from the frightening
      > spread of sexually transmitted disease. Sin begets its own
      > consequence, both on individuals and nations."- Remarks by Reggie
      > White to the Wisconsin Assembly, March 25, 1998.
      > >
      > > Homosexuality one of the biggest sins
      > >
      > > "Let me explain something when I'm talking about sin, and I'm
      > talking about all sin. One of the biggest ones that has been talked
      > about that has really become a debate in America is homosexuality."-

      > Remarks by Reggie White to the Wisconsin Assembly, March 25, 1998.
      > >
      > > Gays have problems
      > >
      > > "Now, I believe that one of the reasons that Jesus was accused of
      > being a homosexual is because he spent time with homosexuals. I've
      > often had people ask me, would you allow a homosexual to be your
      > friend. Yes, I will. And the reason I will is because I know that
      > that person has problems, and if I can minister to those problems,
      > will."- Remarks by Reggie White to the Wisconsin Assembly, March
      25,
      > 1998.
      > >
      > > Being gay compared to lying, gays hurt nation
      > >
      > > "But the Bible strictly speaks against it, and because the Bible
      > speaks against it, we allow rampant sin including homosexuality and
      > lying, and to me lying is just as bad as homosexuality, we've
      allowed
      > this sin to run rampant in our nation, and because it has run
      rampant
      > in our nation, our nation is in the condition it is today."-
      Remarks
      > by Reggie White to the Wisconsin Assembly, March 25, 1998.
      > >
      > > Offended that gays say deserve rights
      > >
      > > "Sometimes when people talk about this sin they've been accused
      of
      > being racist. I'm offended that homosexuals will say that
      homosexuals
      > deserve rights. Any man in America deserves rights, but homosexuals
      > are trying to compare their plight with the plight of black men or
      > black people. In the process of history, homosexuals have never
      been
      > castrated, millions of them never died. Homosexuality is a
      decision.
      > It's not a race."- Remarks by Reggie White to the Wisconsin
      Assembly,
      > March 25, 1998.

      > -------------
      > >

      > > Reggie White never recanted those words. He never apologized.
      > > He was much to dumb to realize that he was doing white rightwing
      > Christians' work for them.
      > >
      > > Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than
      > standing in a garage makes you a car.
      > >

      > > ***

    • Tom
      Message 311 of 311 , Mar 4, 2006
        http://www.aclu.org/hiv/gen/24335prs20060302.html

        ACLU Sues West Virginia Police Chief Who Blocked Life-Saving Measures for Gay Heart Attack Victim Assumed to Be HIV Positive (3/2/2006)

        FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
        CONTACT: media@... In an undated family photo, Claude Green holds his son Christopher, who is now 19. CHARLESTON, WV – The American Civil Liberties Union today filed a federal discrimination lawsuit on behalf of the surviving family members of a Welch man who died of a heart attack after the police chief physically prevented his friend from performing CPR. The police chief blocked the CPR because he falsely assumed that the man, who was gay, was HIV positive and therefore a health risk.
        “I’m heartbroken that I have lost my son over such ignorance and bigotry,” said Helen Green, mother of Claude Green, Jr., who died at the age of 43. “I can’t understand how someone who is supposed to protect the people of Welch could physically block another human from saving my son’s life. It’s always difficult for a mother to lose a child, but to have lost my son so needlessly will be with me for the rest of my life.”
        The ACLU filed the lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia on behalf of the surviving family members of Claude Green, Jr. against the City of Welch and Robert K. Bowman, Welch’s Chief of Police. The lawsuit charges that Bowman discriminated against Green by preventing others from providing life-saving medical care to Green because of his sexual orientation and/or perceived HIV status. The lawsuit also charges that Bowman violated the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) by discriminating against someone he perceived to be HIV positive.
        “Bowman’s actions were a frightening abuse of power,” said Rose Saxe, a staff attorney with the ACLU’s AIDS Project. “It’s hard to say what was more shameful: that Chief Bowman assumed Claude Green was HIV positive solely because he was gay, or that Bowman was so ignorant about HIV that he felt you couldn’t safely perform CPR on an HIV positive person.”

        According to the ACLU lawsuit, Green suffered a heart attack while driving with a friend last summer. The friend, Billy Snead, was performing CPR by the side of the road when Bowman arrived and told Snead to stop because Green was HIV positive. When Snead didn’t stop the CPR, Bowman grabbed Snead by the shoulders and physically barred Snead from continuing CPR at a critical point in Green’s resuscitation. Snead, who had not realized at first that Bowman was a police officer, obeyed his commands.
        While Green fought to stay alive, Bowman prevented anyone else from aiding Green until EMS workers arrived approximately 10 minutes later. While they were putting Green in the ambulance, Bowman informed EMS workers that Green was HIV positive. Although the EMS workers ignored Bowman’s warnings and performed CPR on Green, he passed away shortly after arriving at the hospital. He did not have HIV.
        “The job of the police is to protect and serve,” said Andrew Schneider, Executive Director of the ACLU of West Virginia. “This lawsuit sends a message to public officials that prejudice and ignorance about HIV are not only wrong, but can have tragic consequences. We are filing this lawsuit to prevent further tragedies.”
        Green is survived by his mother, a 19-year-old son, three sisters, and a brother. All of the family members were present at a press conference in Charleston announcing the filing of the lawsuit.
        “We have brought this lawsuit to stop Police Chief Bowman from hurting more people,” said Green’s sister Anita Tickle, a practicing nurse. “I have spent my life helping sick people, including people with HIV, and I cannot understand how Bowman could possibly justify his actions. We’ve known for two decades that HIV is not easily transmitted and that it is safe to perform CPR on someone with the disease. That’s something a police chief ought to know too.”
        According to the Centers for Disease Control, there have been no documented instances of HIV transmission through CPR.
        A copy of the complaint and additional press materials are available at www.aclu.org/caseprofiles