Kerry reaffirms support for equal rights

  • organistbob
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2004
      From The Advocate:

      Kerry reaffirms support for equal rights at gay event
      At a fund-raiser hosted by gay leaders Friday in New York,
      Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry reinforced his
      commitment to equal rights for all Americans, including gays and
      lesbians. Joined by former Vermont governor Howard Dean and award-
      winning actor and writer Harvey Fierstein, Kerry delivered a speech
      denouncing the Federal Marriage Amendment as another attempt by
      George Bush to divide Americans.

      "The American family I know won't stand for the politics of fear and
      distortion," Kerry said. "We won't stand for those who want to amend
      our Constitution for political purposes. We won't stand for those
      who want to use the most precious document in our history to divide
      this nation and distract us from their failures."

      An estimated 350 people attended the event, which raised funds for
      the Kerry campaign and the Democratic National Committee. Kerry also
      praised gays and lesbians for their contributions to AIDS funding
      and spoke about gays and lesbians who have served in the
      military. "The gay Americans I know have served their country
      proudly in times of war. Some grew up facing great obstacles and
      prejudice but have risen above the pain to raise families of their
      own," Kerry said. "The gay Americans I know work hard, pay their
      taxes, and worry about the issues we all care about--good jobs,
      affordable health care, and a chance to build a better life for
      their families."

      Earlier this month the gay advocacy group Human Rights Campaign
      endorsed Kerry, citing his record of supporting gay rights.