8390NEWS -- 2014.01.20.Monday -- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

    Jan 20, 2014
      Two topics today.  MLK Jr and Richard Sherman

      ----------

      Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered a stirring message on Tuesday 04 April 1967 in Riverside Church, New York City.
      Beyond Vietnam

      excerpt ---
      For nine years following 1945 we denied the people of Vietnam the right of independence. For nine years we vigorously supported the French in their abortive effort to recolonize Vietnam. Before the end of the war we were meeting eighty percent of the French war costs. Even before the French were defeated at Dien Bien Phu, they began to despair of their reckless action, but we did not. We encouraged them with our huge financial and military supplies to continue the war even after they had lost the will. Soon we would be paying almost the full costs of this tragic attempt at recolonization.

      My comment --- It was in the financial interests of the war industry to continue this charade/game/dividends.  Now today, we have real problems.

      --------------------

      On 4 April 1967 Martin Luther King delivered his seminal speech at Riverside Church condemning the Vietnam War. Declaring, ‘‘my conscience leaves me no other choice,’’ King described the war’s deleterious effects on both America’s poor and Vietnamese  peasants, and insisted that it was morally imperative for the U.S. to take radical steps to halt the war through nonviolent means (King, ‘‘Beyond Vietnam,’’ 139).
      --------------------

      Beyond Vietnam: A Time to Break Silence is an anti-Vietnam war speech delivered by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. on April 4, 1967. The major speech at Riverside Church in New York, New York, followed several interviews[1] and several other public speeches in which Dr. King came out against the war in Vietnam and the policies that created the war. Some, like civil rights leader Ralph Bunche, the NAACP, and the editorial page writers of the Washington Post[2] and the New York Times[3] called the Riverside Church speech a mistake on King's part. Others, including Dr. King's partner and strategist in the Civil Rights Movement, James Bevel, called it Dr. King's most important speech.

      Dr. King delivered the speech, sponsored by the group Clergy and Laymen Concerned About Vietnam, after committing to participate in New York's April 15, 1967 anti-Vietnam war march from Central Park to the United Nations sponsored by the Spring Mobilization to End the War in Vietnam.

      In 2010 PBS commentator Tavis Smiley said the speech was the most controversial speech of Dr. King's career, and the one he "labored over the most".[4]

      Martin Luther King Was a Radical, Not a Saint

      Monday 20 January 2014 10:27 By Peter Dreier, Truthout

      The official US beatification of Martin Luther King has come at the heavy price of silence about his radical espousal of economic justice and anticolonialism.

      It is easy to forget that in his day, in his own country, Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. was considered a dangerous troublemaker. Even President John Kennedy worried that King was being influenced by Communists. King was harassed by the FBI and vilified in the media. The establishment's campaign to denigrate King worked. In August 1966 - as King was bringing his civil rights campaign to Northern cities to address poverty, slums, housing segregation and bank lending discrimination - the Gallup Poll found that 63 percent of Americans had an unfavorable opinion of King, compared with 33 percent who viewed him favorably.

      Today Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. is viewed as something of an American saint. The most recent Gallup Poll discovered that 94 percent of Americans viewed him in a positive light. His birthday is a national holiday. His name adorns schools and street signs. In 1964, at age 35, he was the youngest person to receive the Nobel Peace Prize. Americans from across the political spectrum invoke King's name to justify their beliefs and actions.

      In fact, King was a radical. He believed that America needed a "radical redistribution of economic and political power." He challenged America's class system and its racial caste system. He was a strong ally of the nation's labor union movement. He was assassinated in April 1968 in Memphis, where he had gone to support a sanitation workers' strike. He opposed US militarism and imperialism, especially the country's misadventure in Vietnam.

      In his critique of American society and his strategy for changing it, King pushed the country toward more democracy and social justice.

      If he were alive today, he would certainly be standing with Walmart employees and other workers fighting for a living wage and the right to unionize. He would be in the forefront of the battle for strong gun controls and to thwart the influence of the National Rifle Association. He would protest the abuses of Wall Street banks, standing side-by-side with homeowners facing foreclosure and crusading for tougher regulations against lending rip-offs. He would be calling for dramatic cuts in the military budget to reinvest public dollars in jobs, education and health care. He would surely be marching with immigrants and their allies in support of comprehensive immigration reform.  He would be joining hands with activists seeking to reduce racial profiling by police and ending the mass incarceration of young people. Like most Americans in his day, King was homophobic, even though one of his closest advisors, Bayard Rustin, was gay. But today, King would undoubtedly stand with advocates of LGBT rights and same-sex marriage, just as he challenged state laws banning interracial marriage.

      --- Click on URL to continue ---

      --------------------

      My comment ---
      The Vietnam war was nothing but terrorism inflicted on a remarkable people.
      They don't hate us now.

      Richard Sherman --->

      What a treat Richard Sherman supplied after the Seattle/San Francisco game.

      Erin Andrews, interviewer from Fox Sports, had a face that was priceless during the rant.  Her ending -- she was speechless for a split second -- was perfect.  "Alright before --- and --- Joe back over to you."

      N-word entertainment just doesn't get better than this ---
      Richard Sherman makes great play, then loses his mind in postgame interview
      By Frank Schwab Sunday evening 19 January 2014Shutdown Corner

      --------------------

      One of the comments posted at this URL --->
      This is the type of Football I love, players showing true emotion like this not some "I just wanna thank God and my Teammates" type, players always sounding like broken records at the end of the game. Hah Thank You Richard Sherman for being you and not some robotic "Gotta talk this way, wall this way" type of player.

      --------------------

      Comment found on the net --->
      I'm going to go out on a limb and say Richard Sherman has never had media training...at any level. Classy, Rich.

      --------------------

      Sherman is no fool.  He just acts like one.    (Editors Note: This story originally was published Sept. 10, 2013.)

      --------------------

      Richard Sherman drawing ad interest

      --------------------

      Richard Sherman Is Master Of His Own Brand
      By Keith Myers - Mar 8th, 2013 at 5:19 am

      Richard Sherman is a smart man.

      He’s always been smart. He graduated high school with a 4.2 GPA. (above a 4.0 because California allow’s honors and AP classes to be graded on a 5.0 scale, meaning that Sherman took a bunch on honors classes and did well in them.)

      Despite the rigors and time restraints that are put on college football players, Sherman graduated from Stanford in 4 years. His GPA isn’t public knowledge at this point, but the team GPA that year was 3.63. Some quick (though advanced) math suggests that 95% of the team had a GPA over 3.13. I think it’s safe to say his was pretty high, since he got in their graduate program and completed a year’s worth of work on his Master’s Degree in his final year of college eligibility before joining the Seahawks.

      Why bring all this up? Because people don’t seem to know that Richard Sherman is damn smart. And not just football smart. I’m talking smart smart.

      So when he goes on ESPN and absolutely abuses one of their ignorant talking heads, we can trust that there’s a purpose behind it. Sherman is smart enough to know what was going to happen.

      On the field, Sherm loves to talk trash. It’s part of his game. I doubt he’ll ever stop. For some people, it is simply part of how they operate.

      --- Click on URL to continue ---

      Sherman graduated in 2010 from Stanford with a degree in Communication and returned for his final year of eligibility in order to begin a Masters degree.