Re: Duffer's Drift - The Brits get one counter-argument

  • Vincent Tsao
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2007
      --- In MatrixGame2@yahoogroups.com, "srdoc_e" <srdoc_e@...> wrote:

      > IMHO the best solution to those 'hot potatoes' would be to end the
      > game when BOTH sides get rid of the coins.
      >
      > The way I see it is that, even in ordinary game, a side has no
      > interest in holding on to their coins - it's better to throw them
      > quickly into battle to try to seize the initiative. (make the enemy
      > dance to YOUR tune)

      Now that sounds good. If you use all yours up early, the other side can
      dictate the pace.
    • Marcus Young
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2007
        Dear Chris,

        This is the British Counter-Initiative to Boer Initiative 4.

        Marcus

        The gun team progressed down the road with its extra horses, 2 wagons,
        pack animals, mounted gunners and staff escort. As they approached
        Waschout Hill, they found was simply no way here was no way to screen
        them from the British fire coming down from the Kraal. O' Doul's plan
        instead was to pin down some of the British with fire from supporting
        troops whilst racing his supply column forward under fire at top speed
        and then taking advantage of some dead ground on the west side of the
        hill to shelter from fire and reorganise before continuing in
        comparative safety in the lee of the hill.

        To O'Doul's eye the British dispositions, although strong, were flawed,
        as the curvature of Washout Hill would block line of sight from the
        Kraal position to the road to the west, so that if the supply column
        could survive the long range fire directed at it in the approach to the
        hill, and if the British troops in the Kraal were pinned down by Boer
        fire, then the rest would be easy. He chuckled to himself as to the
        ingenuity of all Boers and the stupidity of all British.

        The supply column raced forward under fire from the Kraal. Almost
        immediately a horse in the gun team was hit, but the Boers quickly cut
        it free and continued. Two pack animals went down in quick succession,
        and two more, panicked by their unaccustomed exposure to fire, bolted
        off the road, one laming itself in its panic. There was no time to
        gather these animals in as the column sped forward. One mounted Boer
        gunner was killed by plunging fire, and a second wounded but still in
        the saddle. Two gunners had their horses shot out from under them, one
        of these men having his legs smashed as he went down in the saddle. A
        driver of one of the wagons was killed and the wagon was then pulled
        off-road by the frightened horses, where it promptly broke an axle. A
        horse on another wagon was wounded but was still on its feet. A second
        horse on the gun team was hit and started rearing in pain. O'Doul
        personally shot it as the gunners cut it free and let it fall to the
        side of the road.

        Finally the firing stopped. The supply column had gained the safety of
        the base of the north-west spur of Waschout Hill. O'Doul surveyed they
        damage. It was extensive, but he still had the gun and enough horses to
        pull it, half his wagons and two-thirds of his pack animals, and enough
        gunners to operate the piece provided a couple of troopers could be
        seconded to the battery to do the heavy lifting.

        The Boers paused for two minutes, refastening loads and replacing the
        wounded wagon horse with one of the gunner's riding horses, and putting
        the wounded gunner in the back of the wagon. O'Doul then got the men
        moving again just in case the British tried to redeploy under fire to
        cover the road.

        As the Boers proceeded forward for the next 100 yards, there was no
        firing at all in their vicinity. An increasing sense of elation came
        over O'Doul. He had done it! True, this was only one gun, but having got
        this one through, he would be able to get two more through the same way.
        His mission would be successfully fulfilled.

        Sadly for O'Doul, however, his reverie was cut short by a shattering
        volley of rifle fire from somewhere up the slope of the hill. Man and
        horse were laid low as the Boers looked in vain for the 10 British
        soldiers in rifle pits that was the source of the firing. A second
        volley continued the slaughter. This was too much for most of the party,
        who rode for their lives in any direction that seemed to offer a chance
        of escape. The pack animals were abandoned to their fate, whilst the
        wagon was immobilised with both its horses hit. There was still an
        unwounded horse remaining pulling the gun, but as Doul and a couple of
        die-hard gunners tried to detach its dead teammates from the limber, one
        of the gunners was killed and O'Doul himself was hit in the shoulder.
        The brave effort to save the guns would have to be abandoned.

        O'Doul disengaged from the wreckage of the column now blocking the road
        and, doing the best to ignore the agony of his shoulder, galloped south
        down the road back towards the two remaining guns that would shortly be
        attempting the passage. He now understood that the British main position
        had largely been a ruse to distract attention from the carefully
        concealed ambush party that had laid low his men and whose precise
        location still could not be identified. He realised that the move must
        be stopped or these columns would suffer the fate of the first or worse
        if they tried to advance without the hill first being cleared of
        defenders through a combination of Boer infantry and artillery. He would
        signal this from the base of the hill as soon as he had line of sight to
        the other teams.

        Finally O'Doul reflected bitterly on the lessons he had learned that
        morning:

        1. Supply and transport columns are very vulnerable to enemy fire.

        2. Never underestimate the British!