Tests in Alegbra 1

  • bmaclc
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2012
      My 8th grade son just started the Algebra 1 in January and is in Chapter 3. I like it so far except I feel like the scoring on the tests is not clear. He has done well on the computation parts but has a hard time with the definitions and differences parts. I'm not sure how I should be grading these tests and how much credit to award each problem. I also wonder how much he should be allowed to look at them beforehand, or should I really not worry about it.

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2012
        Testing is more art than science.  There is no one approach.  Basically you want to know if the students can do the things you expect them to be able to do.  For homeschooling it can be informal.  I recommend assigning a selected of the homework problems from the chapter (some straightforward, some more involved) that cover the range of topics.  I think it is important to include at least one word problem to send the message that you really expect them to know how to set up a problem from scratch and solve it.
        --David Chandler