Re: algebra 1 Question

  • Lori Noel
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2012
      Hi Karen,

      Good question!  Your daughter's answers are completely correct.  They are just not in the book's "simplest" written form.  You can have a negative in front but you should know that the books and standard tests may have it as your solution book does.  So...she would want to realize that they are equivalent and be able to recognize that as well as show her answer that way too, if preferred or asked.  Hope that helps.  As a former math teacher, I was not concerned with which way the student wrote it as long as the signs were correct. :)

      Lori

      Original question...

      We are on lesson 3.4 and I have a question for my daughter.

      Problem 15 she got the answer -4+6x but the answer in the solutions book is 6x-4. Problem 17 she got the answer -13c+13 but the solutions book had the answer listed as 13-13c. Is there a rule we missed on which order the answer should be in. On Problem 14 the answer in the book is -4z-7 so my thought of an answer not being allowed to start with a negative number is just a thought :)

      I am thinking we are missing a rule for how we are to distribute and commute etc. Is there an easy answer. What is the rhyme and reason on how the answer is displayed.

      Thank you for your time.

      Karen

    • Karen
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2012
        Thank you so very  much Lori for your answer. I didn't think it mattered but then I didn't want her to be missing a key step that would confuse her or mess her up in later lessons. Thank you.