Re: [MathWithoutBorders] chapter separations for Alg 2 and Trig

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2011
      Hi Laura,

      The last three chapters are trig.  Trig is not commonly taught as a separate course any more.  It is usually included with either Algebra II or Precalculus.  I don't think the distinction between "Algebra II" and "Intermediate Algebra" is very meaningful.

      Apart from an institutional educational setting I don't think ANY of the border lines between math subjects are very meaningful.  You might be interested to know that my company name, "Math Without Borders" was a reference to my original goal of developing a math curriculum without these artificial "borders."  For instance, would you say the Pythagorean Theorem belongs in Algebra, Geometry, or Trigonometry?  Ans:  All of the above.  It can be approached in different ways in different contexts, each of which enriches the ideas.  I have not followed through with the original plan, because bucking the institutional trends is difficult, but it is still a long-term goal, or at least a fantasy.

      --David Chandler

      On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 10:13 AM, laurak50 <lkim50@...> wrote:

      I was wondering what the chapters would be for Algebra 2 and which ones would be for Trig. I noticed the front of the book separates the book into 3 including Intermediate Algegra. It seems there are only 3 chapters for Trig. I need to let colleges know what topics were studied under Algebra 2 and what was studied under Trig.

      Thanks,
      Laura Kim