Re: [MathWithoutBorders] Algebra I - Do we need to finish entire text?

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 29, 2012
      Are you a homeschooler?  If so, I don't understand the rush to skip ahead.  Many students do better pacing Algebra 1 over two years.  If you have only three chapters to go I would recommend taking your time and mastering it, then moving on to Geometry even if it is midyear.  Pacing should ideally be based on the the student.  You could probably skip the last chapter, but why?
      --David Chandler

      On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 3:54 PM, ahappysahm <ahappysahm@...> wrote:

      My son was not able to finish the Algebra I textbook in one school year. We still have three chapters to go and I'm getting anxious to start Geometry. Are there some topics in chapters 12-14 that could be skipped without compromising my son's knowledge of algebra?

      I should note that my son will probably major in math and science in college. That was one reason I chose this textbook.

      Thanks!

      Jenn

    • MMTrostle
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 29, 2012
        I am of two minds on this.  1). I had my dd double up in math for 1 semester.  She did the end of Foerester's Algebra 1 and started Geometry that same semester.  2). I have heard that a few chapters could either be skipped or condensed as Foerester's Algebra 1 covers a lot of material, some of which is closer to Algebra 2 material. (But I do not remember which chapters specifically.)

        I intend to have my son (14) continue with Foerster's Algebra 1 over a year and a half and again double-up with Geometry for one semester.

        Michele
      • Mary Rainey
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2012
          This is a simple answer I'm sure but can anyone tell me why:

          4.5x - 7.1x + 11.6 = 11.6 - 2.6x and NOT  -2.6x + 11.6

          thank you.

          Mary