Re: [MathWithoutBorders] Calculus

  • kim cesare
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2009
      Thank you David.

      From: David Chandler <david@...>
      To: MathWithoutBorders@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, August 6, 2009 1:22:39 PM
      Subject: Re: [MathWithoutBorders] Calculus

      My only advice is to stay away from Saxon's Calculus course.  I think it is totally inadequate.  I don't know anything about the other course you mentioned, but if it uses a standard text and the aids help you get through it, you will be ahead.
      --David Chandler

      On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 4:27 AM, knitsox <knitsox@yahoo. com> wrote:

      Mr. Chandler,

      We are currently using Algebra 1 from Math without Borders and my daughter is doing very well. I have another daughter who is a rising senior this year and we plan to do calculus with her. I have been searching for a homeschool course and have it narrowed down to two programs. The first is Saxon with the DIVE CD, although I am not sure this is the best choice. The other is Ask Dr. Callahan, which uses a college textbook for the course. Would you be willing/able to advise me? I know the best option would be dual enrollment, but our community college is not offereing Calculus this semester and probably not in the spring. Also, NC is in a budget battle and right now dual enrollment may not be available anyway.

      Thank you in advance,
      Kim