Re: [MathWithoutBorders] Problem assignment list for geometry

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2012
      On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Ruth <rdammann@...> wrote:

      We used MWB for Algebra I last year and relied on your problem assignment list for students. Do you have anything similar for scheduling geometry? Thanks.

      The Geometry course is laid out differently from the Algebra 1 / Algebra 2 / Precalculus sequence.  It is more like a workbook where students work straight through the main problem sections.  Here are the suggested guideline I described on my web site at the bottom of the Geometry page:

      Teaching Tips

      Each chapter of Geometry: A Guided Inquiry is divided into a Central section, a Review section, and a Project section, plus Algebra Review in the first few chapters. For each chapter, the Home Study Companion Geometry DVD has:

      • Pdf files with complete, worked-out solutions to every problem in the Central and Project sections of the text.
      • (The pdf files contain additional commentary besides just the problem solutions.)
      • A large collection of demonstrations using The Geometer’s Sketchpad.
      • A video solution guide covering the Review section.
      • Extension sections covering extra topics included in the California Standards.

      Based on comments from users, we recommend that you:

      1. Set a goal for how many weeks to spend on each chapter. A standard-length school year is about 185 school days, and there are 12 chapters. That divides out to approximately 15 school days (three weeks) per chapter. However, there are extension sections on the DVD that have been added to Chapters 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 11. Allowing an average of 5 days for each extension section takes up 30 school days, leaving 155 school days to divide by 12. That comes out to about 2.5 weeks per normal chapter and 3.5 weeks for the chapters with extensions. This is just a rough guideline. Some chapters will undoubtedly seem harder than others. Adjust the pace according to your own time constraints and the perceived difficulty of the material. Work at a comfortable but persistent pace.
      2. The Geometer’s Sketchpad demonstrations can be viewed at any time. Some of them can be understood on their own and can help motivate the material in the chapter. Others will make more sense after a certain point in the chapter. So view them at the beginning and again as you progress through the chapter.
      3. Print out the pdf solution guide for the current chapter. This turns out to be an important point. If they are printed out, they will be more immediately accessible and you are more likely to refer to them regularly. (However, some of the pdf files contain Internet hyperlinks that you may want to visit, so you may sometimes want to access them directly on your computer.)
      4. Work through the Central section of the text as quickly as you are able, referring to the solution guide as necessary if you get stuck.
      5. When you finish the Central section, go back and read through the entire pdf solution guide, both to check your work, and to digest the additional commentary that is included. This will serve as a good review before going further.
      6. Do the Review section, then view the video solution guide.  Rework any problems that were missed.
      7. Do the other review, self test, and algebra review items. (Answers in the text.)
      8. Take the remainder of the allotted time working through selected problems from the Project section. (The Project section contains the most interesting material in the book, so don’t short-change it!) The method here is the same as for the Central section: view the demonstrations at any time, print out the pdf solution guide, work through as many problems as you can, and at the end, read through the entire pdf solution guide. It is best to try each project problem on your own first, but reading through the solutions of all the project problems at the end will still be of some benefit.

      Don’t overlook the Lab activities (listed after Chapter 12 on the DVD). These will help you learn to utilize The Geometer’s Sketchpad as a tool for your own use.

    • Ruth
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 17, 2012
        Thanks for the reply. We just completed the first chapter today. My 9th grade son enjoyed the GSP demonstrations and they were extremely helpful. I also love that there's a free iPad app for GSP. It makes schooling "on-the-road" a lot easier!