Algebra 1

  • kellymcgillick
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2012
      Hello,
      I am new to this group and have joined as we are considering using Foerster's Algebra 1 and David's HSC video lessons with our 8th grade daughter. We will be moving from Saxon 8/7 and the accompanying Teaching Tape Technology. In order to facilitate a smooth transition, I am wondering if these resources provide a lesson plan, daily drill sheets and tests for the homeschool student? If not, did you find it necessary to create these resources or can they be purchased from another vendor?

      Thanks so much! Any other tips would be welcomed.
      Kelly in MN
    • mathwithoutborders
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2012
        --- In MathWithoutBorders@yahoogroups.com, "kellymcgillick" <kellymcgillick@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I am new to this group and have joined as we are considering using Foerster's Algebra 1 and David's HSC video lessons with our 8th grade daughter. We will be moving from Saxon 8/7 and the accompanying Teaching Tape Technology. In order to facilitate a smooth transition, I am wondering if these resources provide a lesson plan, daily drill sheets and tests for the homeschool student? If not, did you find it necessary to create these resources or can they be purchased from another vendor?
        >
        > Thanks so much! Any other tips would be welcomed.
        > Kelly in MN

        Hi Kelly,
        It sounds like you are asking input from other users of the materials. They are free to respond too. I do provide suggested problem assignments on the Algebra 1 page of my web site. I don't have daily drill sheets. There is a short oral review section preceding each problem set. This could fulfil the function of the daily drills you are talking about. For homeschoolers, I typically recommend informal assessment: pick typical problems from the chapter, including some of the easier and some of the harder problems. It really doesn't matter whether they have seen the same problems a few days earlier. If they can still do them, it is an indication that they learned how to do them in the first place. You could also use the end-of-chapter chapter tests for this purpose. If you really want formal testing, test booklets are available from Pearson.

        I hope this helps.

        --David Chandler
      • mo1258
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7, 2012
          I preferred to make my own lesson plans. At first, it seemed overwhelming - I was not confident that I knew what to do and in what order.

          I sat down with the text and MathWithoutBorders materials as well as the test bank I bought. Within a few hours I had a pretty good idea of what to do when.

          Here's our general approach for each and every section:

          Step #1 - student prepares for the lesson - read section of book, take notes, try some problems, ponder the topics.

          Step #2 - attend "lecture" - this is when and where David's expertise as a "master teacher" really shines... I have projected these "lectures" onto the big screen TV (while student taking notes) and also had student at a computer workstation.

          Step #3 - student goes back over the section and works the assigned problems - I like a lot of volume, so that generally means half the problems of every section, usually even numbered problems. If the student has difficulty then they can work an adjacent odd numbered problem and check the answer in the back of the book.

          Step #4 - home teacher (me) checks the assignment for errors - I purchased the solution manual... Any score less than 90% on an assignment requires the student to rework missed problems.

          About once a week I give a test (over about 5 sections). I bought the test bank - nice! If the student scores less than 90% on the test they must take a retest of less problems at a white board or chalk board - the student must demonstrate understanding or they do not move forward.

          My goals are:

          to teach the student how to learn;

          to teach the student persistence and perseverance;

          to teach the student Algebra.

          Questions? Ask away!