Changing from MUS Alg I

  • The Long's
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2012
      I have been studying this program and would like to have some input on changing from Math U See. We are about half way into MUS Algebra I. I plan to finish it, but have not been pleased with it in the area of communication. The practice of the new concept for 5 days in a row helps my 15yo to get the concept, but the test frustrate him due to the wording of the problems. And I do not like multiple choice for math test.
      He has done Singapore levels 1-6, but it didn't have enough review or practice of a concept for him to really get it. I had to make extra practice for him.
      Based on this description of him, would your program work for him?
      Will there be enough work on a single concept to do it for several days before moving on to something new. Or does it move at a rapid pace like Singapore?
      Could I move from MUS Alg I to Without Borders recommendation in Geometry?
      Thanks,
      Jan
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 2012
        I have not worked with Math U See, so I have no comment there.  The Alg 1 course is structured like a traditional course, in that the chapter is divided into daily sections with a problem set for each section.  Some of the sections should be spread out over 2 or 3 days; others 1 day each.  Some schools teach the course over two years for students who find it slow going.  The Foerster texts are very strong in word problems.  The author actually teaches students how to think through and set up the problems rather than teaching formulaic ways of approaching specific problem types.  There are lots of problems, so if you want to go slow and spread a section out over several days there will be enough problems to allow this.

        I can't comment on the level of preparation for geometry provided by Math U See Algebra.  Algebra is used in the geometry course, but there are algebra review sections at the end of the first few chapters, and I would advise taking time to do these.

        I hope this helps.

        --David Chandler