Alg I word problems

  • Kristin
    Message 1 of 2 , May 16, 2012
      My daughter is doing the Alg I course and is understanding all the concepts and problems, however, when she gets to the word problems, everything comes to a screeching halt. She can do the easy ones, but complains and struggles on the more difficult ones. When I sit with her to and take them step by step, she understands how to do them, but it is still a slow process. I have been having her do all of them in each section, but noticed that your syllabus doesn't include all of them. How important are the word problems? Does she need to be completing all of them before going to the next lesson?

      Thanks for your help.
      Message 2 of 2 , May 16, 2012
        On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Kristin <klsv@...> wrote:

        My daughter is doing the Alg I course and is understanding all the concepts and problems, however, when she gets to the word problems, everything comes to a screeching halt. She can do the easy ones, but complains and struggles on the more difficult ones. When I sit with her to and take them step by step, she understands how to do them, but it is still a slow process. I have been having her do all of them in each section, but noticed that your syllabus doesn't include all of them. How important are the word problems? Does she need to be completing all of them before going to the next lesson?

        Thanks for your help.

        The word problems are very important, but I wouldn't have her do all of them.  On my site I have posted the assignment list I use with my classes at school.  It should give you an idea of the quantity of problems I think would be reasonable.  Here is the direct link also:  http://mathwithoutborders.com/Algebra-I/Algebra-I-Problem-Assignments.pdf