Replica S/V: Godspeed in Boston July 1th => 19

    Message 1 of 13 , May 5, 2006

      Godspeed in Boston;

      Boston, Mass.     -  July 14  through  July 19
                     (John Joseph Moakley U.S. Courthouse- 1
                     Courthouse Way and adjacent Fan Pier)

      Virginia set to mark 400th birthday of America's founding

      By Sonja Barisic, Associated Press Writer  |  May 5, 2006
      JAMESTOWN , Va. -- Plymouth tends to hog the attention, with its buckle-shoed Pilgrims and the story of the first Thanksgiving.
      But in 1607, 13 years before the Pilgrims landed in Massachusetts , three ships deposited a group of explorers on a swampy peninsula on Virginia 's James River that became America 's first permanent English settlement -- and the birthplace of the United States .
      A new Maine-built replica of one of those ships will embark May 22 on a tour of six East Coast ports to drum up interest ahead of the big 400th birthday bash for Jamestown a year from now.
      The 80-day Godspeed Sail starts an 18-month series of anniversary events, and organizers are counting on it to attract tourists and private sponsors to the commemoration.
      They recognize that many people, especially outside Virginia , know little about Jamestown 's significance as the spot where American traditions of representative government, free enterprise and cultural diversity took root.
      "Getting the message across that this is in fact a national event is critical," said Colin G. Campbell, vice chairman of the Jamestown 2007 state steering committee.
      Jamestown 2007 is a part of the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation, a state agency that runs two history museums and is coordinating efforts to commemorate the 400th anniversary. The federal Jamestown 400th Commemoration Commission is helping on some activities.
      Retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor is honorary chair of the commemoration. Also involved is television and radio host Tavis Smiley, who will bring his annual State of the Black Union symposium to Virginia on Feb. 9-10, 2007 .
      Smiley said he wanted to participate in the commemoration because the nation changed profoundly when the first Africans arrived at Jamestown , as slaves or indentured servants, in 1619.
      "It is impossible to imagine this place called America without the contribution of her African peoples," Smiley said. " Jamestown presents a wonderful opportunity for us not just to reflect on that contribution, but it really does, at a critical time in our nation's history, challenge African-Americans specifically to see how much more needs to be done."
      Organizers are hoping for 2.4 million visitors overall for the commemorative events. President Bush and first lady Laura Bush, as well as the British royal family, will be invited to the premier event, " America 's Anniversary Weekend," at Jamestown on May 11-13, 2007 , which is expected to attract 90,000 people.
      The budget for the commemorative events is $40 million to $42 million, with a little more than half coming from state funds.
      Organizers want to raise the rest from private sponsors, who have been slow to sign up. The three major sponsors so far are the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, Norfolk Southern Corp. and Verizon Communications .
      Campbell, the foundation's president, said he expects more will sign on as momentum builds with the Godspeed Sail and subsequent events, including a series of democracy conferences beginning in August, the 225th anniversary of America 's Revolutionary War victory at nearby Yorktown in October and a national, live teach-in Webcast from Jamestown in November.
      Those are among 10 "signature" events. About 150 communities plan local projects related to the anniversary, said Gov. Timothy M. Kaine.
      "It's just a great opportunity for our commonwealth," Kaine said. "Tourism is fantastic, but the real exciting part of this it gives us a chance to really connect to an aspect of our tradition in a way that can energize us going forward."
      Prequel events before the anniversary can draw visitors by educating people about why Jamestown is important, said Nancy Milton of the St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission, which helped market Lewis and Clark expedition commemorative events to visitors from outside St. Louis .
      "You just have to make sure you walk the line between buildup of anticipation and overload. I don't know if anybody knows where that line is. Therein lies the difficulty," said Milton, vice president of marketing communications.
      Jamestown was a business venture, with the settlers sailing from London in December 1606 and enduring harsh conditions upon their arrival. The first representative assembly in the New World convened in the Jamestown church in 1619, and Jamestown was Virginia 's capital until 1699.
      Jamestown has been somewhat overlooked because "the Plymouth story of freedom of religion and Thanskgiving and all these things just plays happy and sweet in a way," said William P. Kelso, the archaeologist who led the successful search for the remains of the Jamestown settlers' triangular fort.
      " Jamestown was a more realistic situation," said Kelso, director of Archaeology for the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities, or APVA. "Everything didn't go right. But there were so many things that were started here that became a legacy. It's more what America is about now, than just freedom of religion."
      Virginia has commemorated Jamestown 's birthday with big events every 50 years since 1807. The 2007 commemoration is the first to focus on all three cultures that converged at Jamestown : English settlers, native Indians and Africans.
      "It's an opportunity for our story to be told correctly," said Powhatan Red Cloud-Owen, a Chickahominy tribe council member and liaison between Virginia Indians and Jamestown 2007.
      He recalled attending the 1957 Jamestown commemoration as a child and seeing Indians there basically "for costume purposes." And they were from North Carolina , not Virginia , he said.
      "Now we have a voice. That means a lot to us," he said.
      For example, early in the planning, the word "celebration" was used. Virginia Indians objected, and organizers have taken pains since to refer to the events as a "commemoration."
      "We don't call the invasion of our land 400 years ago a celebration," Red Cloud-Owen said.
      Today, there are two Jamestowns: the National Park Service and APVA's Historic Jamestowne, site of the original James Fort, and the nearby state-run Jamestown Settlement that was built for the 350th anniversary. Visitors to both will encounter changes spurred by the commemoration.
      At Historic Jamestowne, an Archaearium to house artifacts uncovered during the ongoing archaeological digs will open May 13.
      Jamestown Settlement is preparing "The World of 1607," a one-year exhibition that is to open in spring 2007.
      The settlement also has been sprucing up its replicas of the fort and Indian village and is preparing a new permanent exhibition that will focus heavily on all three cultures of the colony, something that wasn't done there before.
      ------
      On the Net:
      Jamestown 2007 commemoration: http://www.Americas400thAnniversary.com.
      Jamestown Settlement: http://www.historyisfun.org.
      Jamestown educational materials: http://www.jamestownjourney.com
      Boston, Mass.     -  July 14  through  July 19
                     (John Joseph Moakley U.S. Courthouse- 1
                     Courthouse Way and adjacent Fan Pier)

      2006 GODSPEED SAIL
      When:   Ports of call begin May 27 through July 2006

      Time:     Weekdays 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. *
                     Weekends and Holidays 11 a.m. – 8 p.m. *
                     (Friday - Sunday, + May 29th and July 3)

      Where:  Alexandria, Va.   -  May 27 through  June 3
                     (Founders Park/Torpedo Factory/City
                     Marina/Waterfront Park)

                     BaltimoreMd.    -  June 9  through  June 12
                     (Baltimore Inner Harbor- 401 Light Street is the
                     main entrance)

                     Philadelphia, Pa. -  June 16 through  June 19
                     (The Great Plaza at Penn's Landing- Columbus
                     Blvd. at Market Street)

                     New York, NY.     -  June 27 through  July 6
                     (South Street Seaport Museum's Pier 16- South
                     Street at Fulton Street)

                     Boston, Mass.     -  July 14  through  July 19
                     (John Joseph Moakley U.S. Courthouse- 1
                     Courthouse Way and adjacent Fan Pier)

                     Newport RI.         -  July 25  through  July 30
                     (Newport Yachting Center- America's Cup
                     Avenue at 4 Commercial Wharf)
                     *Public Hours noon to 8:00 p.m.

      Cost:      Free admission to all events and activities

      America's 400th Anniversary launches with an 80-day sail of the newly commissioned replica Godspeed, bringing a bit of American history to six major ports along the eastern seaboard.

      Godspeed, one of the three original ships that in 1607 brought
      America's first permanent English colonists to Jamestown, our nation's birthplace, will serve as a floating museum for families, students and tens of thousands of visitors.  We invite you to come and explore a sampling of 17th -century America ... 21st century style!

      Join in the excitement of the "Landing Party Festival" - featuring live musical performances, family entertainment, historical and cultural displays highlighting the legacies of
      Jamestown and the growth of America -- all free to the public, at a port near you.

      Ports of call include
      Alexandria,Virginia/Washington DC; Baltimore, MarylandPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania; New York, New York; Boston, Massachusetts; and NewportRhode Island

      Make plans now to visit one of the ports of call or take advantage of this moment in time by visiting
      Virginia in 2006 and 2007!

      Check back frequently for updates on the 2006 Godspeed Sail!

      Message 2 of 13 , May 8, 2006
        Hello,

        One of our group members is seeking a Chesapeake area sailboat Surveyor.

        If I'm not mistaken we have 1 or 2 group members from MD.

        Can anyone recommend a Surveyor?

      • Paul Sears
        Message 3 of 13 , May 8, 2006
          When i bought Passe Partout which was in Annapolis, i used
          Peter Hartoft and had good results:
          http://www.hartoftmarinesurvey.com/peter.html

          (p.s. Passe Partout is still for sale; see http://webpages.charter.net/paulsears/ListingFormTop.htm)

          tnx,
          p.

        • DOLFAMILY@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , May 8, 2006
            Paul,
            Thanks so much for this info!  I am impressed by Peter's profile and will contact them for sure if I buy in Annapolis or the area.

            Gratefully,
            Robin

            PS Thanks too to Bill, for thinking of querying the group
          • Julie Kaynor
            Message 5 of 13 , May 8, 2006
              Check out the Chesapeake list on Sailnet http://www.sailnet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47  There has been quite a bit of discussion about surveyors if you do a search

              Julie

              Message 6 of 13 , May 8, 2006

                Hello,

                It is sad to read of the loss of a local sailing icon and mentor.  Although I did not have the honor of knowing this woman I wanted to share this with you.  If any of you knew Ms. Birchmore and would like to share some kinds words please feel free to.  My condolences to her family and friends (I'm sure there were many).

                Bill

                Sally Birchmore, sailmaker; at 47

                May 7, 2006

                SWAMPSCOTT -- Sally G. (McIntosh) Birchmore, who worked as a sailmaker for 25 years, died last Sunday at her home after a brief battle with cancer. She was 47.
                Born in Lynn and raised in Swampscott, Mrs. Birchmore graduated from Swampscott High School and the University of Maine at Presque Isle.

                During the 1970s, Mrs. Birchmore was the lead instructor for the Swampscott Sailing Program.

                She spent most her sailmaking career with Doyle Sailmakers in Marblehead . She was also employed by Ted Hood of Hood Sails, who sent her to Australia in the early 1980s to teach sail-cutting techniques.

                She also volunteered with several local groups, including the Little League, Youth Soccer Association, and Girl Scouts.

                In addition to her husband, Ronald, Mrs. Birchmore leaves two daughters, Ashley and Kelly, both of Swampscott; her father, Richard McIntosh of Swampscott; a brother, Stephen McIntosh of Salt Lake City; two sisters, Susan McIntosh of Swampscott and Sandra Warden of Lebanon, Maine; and several nephews.