Internship Position for avid Sailor???

  • Wil Lockman
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2006
      Hello Everyone! I am currently a third year undergraduate student on
      the North Shore... By order of my school I am required to complete a
      semester long internship in my concentration which is Business
      Management. I have previously completed three internships everywhere
      from Boston to Maine and am always looking for another opportunity to
      learn more. So I reason, why not mix a passion for sailing with an
      internship possibility?? If you, or someone you know of would be
      interested in aquiring a hardworking intern for their sailing related
      business for the fall of 2006 feel free to contact me at your earliest
      convenience. Thank you all and take care!

      Wil Lockman
      wlockman@...
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2006

        Volunteer Deckhands Aboard Schooner Roseway

        Reply to: wos@...
        Date: 2006-04-26, 10:40AM EDT

        The National Historic Landmark schooner Roseway, operated by the World Ocean School, a non-profit educational organization, is seeking volunteer deckhands for the coming 2006 season. Operating from Rowes Wharf , Roseway will be running three 2-hour sails per day as well as private charters. All proceeds go to support the educational programs of the World Ocean School .

        If you are a mature, responsible, active person who wants to learn and experience the joy of tall ship sailing, as well as sharing that joy with our customers, we welcome you aboard.

        Minimum commitment: 11:00am – 8:00pm one day per week

        All volunteers receive:
        - Crew uniform shirt
        - Lunch and Dinner with the crew between sails

        Learn Sailing!

        Reply to: comm-155911670@...
        Date: 2006-04-29,
        7:17PM EDT

        Summer Is Here!
        See those beautiful sailing boats on
        Charles River and want to be the skipper? Then come to learn and enjoy sailing at Community Boating Club, the country's largest and oldest public sailing program. It's located near Hatch Shell on Esplanade and can be easily accessed by Redline T to Charles/MGH stop.

        Membership at Community Boating includes all levels of instruction, from beginner to racing skipper and unlimited use of over 100 sailboats as well as kayaks and windsurfers.

        Membership of 30-Day Intro to Sailing and Kayaking Package is $80, and a 60-Day Boating Pass is $135. The Full Year Membership is $190 ($150 for Senior Citizens), it is good for one calendar year and will roll over to next year's this time.

        For details check the website http://www.community-boating.org

        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2006
          Hi,

          Andrea & I will be here this coming Thursday evening.  RSVP [Phone (617) 523-1038 ] is needed.

          We hope to see you all there!

          Bill

          Second Annual
          Boston Harbor Islands Regatta
          Kick-off Event: May 4, 2006
          Greetings Sailors & Friends!

          Last year’s First Annual Regatta was a huge success, thanks to all of our sailors and friends.

          Whether you joined us last year or are just hearing about the event, we hope you will consider coming out this year to race on Saturday, September 30 at Georges Island.

          To help us kick off this year’s event, please bring a friend and join
           BHIR Chair Enid Beal, Race Director Bob Johnstone & the Regatta Committee
          on Thursday, May 4 at the Barking Crab beginning at 5:30 pm

          (Racing packets will be available)

          Light hors’ doeuvres & cash bar

          Please RSVP to Laurie Jackson by email at ljackson@... or by phone at 617-223-8326.

          Directions:
          The Barking Crab is located at 88 Sleeper Street along Boston’s waterfront
          next to the Moakley Federal Courthouse and the Northern Avenue Bridge.
          Limited Parking is available at the Barking Crab and there are also two outdoor
          parking lots next door.

           Phone (617) 523-1038

          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2006
            Hello,

            A member of this group e-mailed me with this question;

            "
            I'd like to come if there is room.

            The boat I sail on does not race - strictly cruising but I could volunteer.

            Should I still call to RSVP?"

            My response to this person and all of you is;

            Hi,

            In my opinion, YES, still go.  Yes, RSVP:  617-223-8326.

            There is NO need to have raced in this event (or any past race/regatta) in the past nor are they expecting an absolute commitment to participate this year.  This Regatta will be held at the very end of September and this is just a PR kick-off event.

            IMHO, use this as an opportunity to meet other Boston area sailors, whether or not you ultimately end up sailing/racing in this Regatta.   I view this as a "sailing" networking/social event.  I think it would be great to get a large turn-out of us MassBaySailors as a season kick-off and a way for many of us to meet for the first time.

            Bill

            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2006
               On the water in New England

              The Boston Sailing Center's Free-sailing Weekend
              The Boston Sailing Center kicks off the sailing season each year with Free-sailing Weekend. The event attracts both expert sailors and novices looking to get a jump-start on summer.
              A portion of proceeds from lesson and membership fees earned during the weekend is donated to Save the Harbor/Save the Bay, a nonprofit agency working to conserve and improve the Boston Harbor .
              However, on a windy day, sailboats demand the full attention of their captains. Francois Asselin of Boston led a cruise around the Boston Harbor .
              Asselin, a lifelong sailor and Boston Sailing Center member for 10 years, expertly scaled the boat as the sea swashed against its sides. He shouted commands to sailing novices while simultaneously adjusting and tightening the sails.
              Kate Lau of Baltimore , Md. , who was in Boston for a business trip, took the wheel of the boat.
              Dan Brown of Somerville assists Asselin as he raises the sail.
              The boat tilted to steep angles as the wind picked up.    (“tilted”, hehehehehehe Bill)
              Vincent White of Chestnut Hill and Lau hold on tight as the sea kicks up one side of the boat.
              (“as the sea kicks up on ONE side of the boat”,   LOL ..  what was it dead calm on the other side?, Bill)
              Once the boat steadies, passengers admire Boston landmarks such as The Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge.  [ what we all wait for, the boat to “steady”  ;-)  Bill ]
              The Boston Sailing Center offers classes that accommodate a variety of skill levels, from the first-time sailor to the sailboat racer. The 2006 sailing season is from May 1 - November 1.

              • Add your review of Boston Harbor Islands National Park
              • Headed to
              Boston, MA? Find the best deal on hotels in Boston, MA.

              ............................................................................................................................................................................................

              Phone:

              617-223-8666

              "Boston Harbor Islands National Park - Boston - Reviews of Boston Harbor Islands National Park - TripAdvisor"
              "This National Park consists of 34 small islands just off shore in Boston Harbor. The most popular, Georges Island, is home to Fort Warren, a Civil War Landmark that housed Confederate prisoners. "
              tripadvisor.com - expert review
              "Boston Light - Boston - Reviews of Boston Light - TripAdvisor"
              "Lighthouse located on Little Brewster Island in Boston Harbor. "
              tripadvisor.com - expert review

              Cape Ann, Massachusetts
              Less crowded and more accessible than Cape Cod, Cape Ann sits about an hour north of Boston. The region includes the towns of Rockport, Gloucester, and Essex and you’ll visit for the fried clams, for the artist’s colonies, for the antiquing, for the whale watching, and for the beaches. And when it’s too cold for the beach the towns are walkable, with plenty of opportunities to explore.

              Don't miss:
               Good Harbor Beach
              A local and resident favorite.
               Woodman's of Essex
              Established in 1914, some say Woodman's is home of the fried clam.
               Rocky Neck Art Colony
              The nation's oldest artist colony.
               Schooner Thomas E. Lannon
              Perfect for a sunset cruise around
              Gloucester Harbor.
               St. Peter's Fiesta
              Don't miss the Greasy Pole Contest. Put June 21-25 on your calendar.

              Exploring Camden, Maine
              Being in Camden, Maine, can be like looking at a picture postcard. The small city mixes a classic downtown, a cozy harbor with posh sailboats, verdant gardens and deep woods to create a neatly wrapped package that is quintessentially New England.

              Here, a trio of girls overlook
              Camden from Camden Hills State Park.

              FIND IT
              MORE ON MAINE
               Eat, drive and be merry (Boston Globe)
              More photos:

              Coastal Towns on North Shore

            • Mike Long
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2006
                A word of caution: two people I know of within the last year came
                down with some very upset stomachs after eating at the Barking Crab.

                --- In MassBaySailors@yahoogroups.com, Bill Scanlon