Venus

  • DOLFAMILY@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28 6:04 AM
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 28 9:20 AM
        All below from the 2006 Mariner's BOOK of DAYS by Peter H. Spectre.  Can be  purchased each year at WM and other places, a great stocking stuffer.

        April 28, 1789, Aboard the HMS Bounty:

        A mutiny, led by Fletcher Christian, broke out on HM armed transport Bounty in the South Pacific; Captain William Bligh and 18 loyal members of his crew were cast adrift in a ship's boat.

        April 26, 1861 ---  Lt. Matthew Fontaine Maury, USN, author of The Physical Geography of the Sea, resigned as the superintendent of the U.S. Naval Observatory in Washington D.C. to join the Confederate Navy.

        April 27, 1905 ---  The U.S. government purchased the last outstanding shares of the French Panama Canal Company, thus opening the way for American construction of a Panama canal.

        April 29, 1969  ---  The first single-handed race across the Pacific -- was won by Eric Tabarly in Pen Duick V.

        April 30, 1798 -- The Navy Department was established by an Act of Congress.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 28 11:14 AM
          Hello,

          If you have not found read or printed the Spring
          Commissioning docments saved in the MassBaySailors files area make usre you do, you won't be disapointed.

          Please understand my listing of some products, like my previous e-mail and now this one, is only to “share” with you info and products I find useful.  I have no business affiliation with these companies or their products.

          That said, tomorrow I’ll be preparing my hull for the season.  Like all of us I’ve used all kinds of waxes for my cars and boats.  None of them have compared to the results I get on “Ruby” with the 2 below products, especially the Collonite #925 Wax.  Although not very difficult to work with, you do need to wipe it away relatively quickly.  It leaves an unbelievable shine and what seems to be a hard protective surface.  Buff it out by machine and it looks like glass, apply 2 coats and of course it’s even better, stronger and thicker.

          There are pictures of Ruby’s hull taken in the boat yard at Admirals this past fall.  My insurance company wanted some recent pictures.  I think the hull looks very good (shinny) and still very protected, by the wax, that was applied last in April or May of 2004 when I last waxed and launched her.  I kept her in the water over the winter of 2004-2005.  When I was at the boat this past weekend I washed her down, if I wasn’t such a stickler about getting her as Bristol as I can before launching I could conceivably launch her as is, but I won’t. I plan to apply 2 coats and machine buff each application.

          A folder of Ruby Pics, look at the hull in the last 4 or 5 pics;

          I’ll take more pictures before launching.

          So, if you are pondering what type/brand of Boat WAX to buy, don’t consider anything else.  Collonite #925 is more expensive than most others, but I feel it is worth it.  I’ve used others, they don’t compare.  This product was suggested to me several years ago by someone who is the ultimate stickler in the care of his boat, so I knew it would be a good product.

          Collonite has multiple levels of their products.  Although I would guess all their products are of equal quality, # 925 is their top-of-the line wax product, I haven’t used their other less expensive lines.

          And their boat cleaner  # 920  !!  I have washed my boat with, boat soaps, simple green and even used acetone trying to remove water marks, soot stains etc. and the dirt remains.  All dirt & grime is removed with # 920.

          This is my standard Hull Preperation each Spring;

          1) Hose/rinse the boat down with water only.

          2) Wash the Hull with a boat-soap or simple green.

          3) Rinse again.

          4) Prep/clean the hull with #920, manageable sections.

          5) If some times elapses after “4)” like the following weekend, I’ll gently/quickly wash the hull again.  Or if the same day (or next day), I’ll just rinse again.

          6) Apply #925, in manageable sections and wipe away per instructions.  I’ll do the whole boat like this.  I usually use a car store bought car-wax-sponge to apply the #925, dipping it in a clean bucket of water (changing often) so the sponge is always moist.

          7) Power/machine buff the whole boat.

          To apply a second coat I’ll rinse again and then back to “6)”.

          To do all the above usually takes me 4 days, 2 days to do the #920 cleaning then a day each for each application of the #925. I don’t know what I would charge someone for me to do this, I really would only want to go through this once a season, for my own boat and like most people, I don’t think anyone I would pay to do it would do it as well.  Just how we feel about our sailboats.

          Bill

          #925 Fiberglass Boat Wax

          Goes on easy and stays on all season for a wipe and shine deck, glistening topsides, and a super slippery bottom. Contains a special pure Carnauba wax formula proven in harsh industrial environments. It will easily shrug off scrubbing, scuffing, detergents, salt water and marine organisms...all year long.

          Contains polymers, carnauba wax, and other protective ingredients

          Manufacturer
          MFG Part #
          WM Model#
          Price
          In Stock?
          Qty
          COLLINITE
          925
          4758322
           Only $20.79 USD

          #920 Fiberglass Boat Cleaner

          Easily removes dirt, film, oxidation, oil, grease, rust and exhaust stains from fiberglass finishes. Restores the original color quickly without hard rubbing or buffing. Leaves a chemically clean surface to which Collinite waxes can bond perfectly. Increases long-lasting brilliance and performance of protective wax coating.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 29 6:29 AM
            This seemingly (I'll find out when it arrives, the reviews are good) nice little TV has all I have been seeking in a small/compact/light TV.

            It is a new model, with a flat panel-screen, and rich in features (formats it can play).

            It sells from numerous locations, I first saw it at a "Sears, on-line only" site and it wasn't in-stock.  I purchased it from www.PCConnection.com and comes with FREE Shipping.  I'll most likely purchase a telescopic mounting arm/bracket to allow for multiple direction viewing and easy storage while underway.

            The "Admiral" doesn't know YET ...  She has been against having a TV on the boat and although I agree (in theory), the reality is we never spend nearly the amount of time I wish we would on the boat, so I'm hoping more creature comforts will improve that.

            14" Flat TV VCR DVD Combo

            Toshiba

            A compact model that does it all!

            Toshibas 14" diagonal TV boasts VHS and DVD-viewing capabilities all in one. Enjoy superb picture quality with a FST Pure Flat picture tube design, and amazing audio with the double baffle speaker system and StableSound, which maintains volume from channel to channel. The built-in DVD player is compatible with several popular media formats, satisfying a wide variety of entertainment needs.
            Product Specifications
            Audio
            Sound Output ModeStereo
            Features & Functions
            Commercial SkipYes
            DVD TypeDVD player
            Parental Channel LockYes
            Secondary Audio Program (SAP)Yes
            General
            Television TechnologyPureFlat
            Television TypeTV/DVD/VCR combo
            Diagonal Size14 in
            Performance
            Image Aspect Ratio4:3
            Video
            Video Head Quantity4
            Actual Weight32 lbs.
            Compatibility NotesPlays DVD-video, CD, CD-R / -RW, VCD, DVD-R, WMA, MP3, JPEG
            ContentsCombo unit, remote control, documentation
            Ports/Connectors(1) RCA video
            (1) Audio input / output
            (1) RF input
            (1) Headphone jack
            Warranty - Labor1 Year
            Warranty - Parts1 Year
            Price:
            $249.95
            Will Ship:
            Item#:
            In Stock
            Monday
            5811478
            Mfr. Part#:
            MW14F51

            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2006
              Bill, I am looking for a TV too, I was at BestBuy the other day.
              This TV, I presume, is 3.2 lbs not 32 lbs ...