Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Fw: YUCK! "Urban Legends"

Expand Messages
  • Bill Scanlon
    Vince/All, Please be carefull with what you belive and send out, if t seem outrageously unbelievable, it probably is; There is a Web Site; www.Snopes.com That
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      Vince/All,
       
      Please be carefull with what you belive and send out, if t seem outrageously unbelievable, it probably is;
       
      There is a Web Site;
       
       
      That list "Urban Legends" and will ist if they are known to be true or not.
       
      As far as the Rat  urine  ....
       
       
      A Wee Rat Problem

       
      Claim:   E-mailed accounts warn of death and disease caused by rat urine on soda cans.

      Status:   Multiple:
      • Rat urine is ordinarily toxic to humans:   False.
      • A stock clerk in Hawaii died after being sent to clean up a storeroom containing rat droppings:   False.
      • The potentially deadly illness Leptospirosis can be contracted through exposure to the urine of diseased animals (including rats):   True.
      Examples:


      DEADLY SODA CANS

      VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

      This incident happened recently in north Texas. We need to be even more careful everywhere.

      A woman went boating one Sunday, taking with her some cans of coke which she put in the refrigerator of the boat. On Monday she was taken into Intensive Care Unit and on Wednesday she died.

      The autopsy revealed a certain Leptospirose caused by the can of coke from which she had drunk, not using a glass. A test showed that the can was infected by dried rat urine and hence the disease Leptospirosis.

      Rat urine contains toxic and deathly substances. It is highly recommended to wash thoroughly the upper part of soda cans before drinking out of them as they have been stocked in warehouses and transported straight to the shops without being cleaned.

      A study at NYCU showed that the tops of soda cans are more contaminated than public toilets i.e.. full of germs and bacteria. So wash them with water before putting them to the mouth to avoid any kind of fatal accident.
       
      Origins:   The item presented our first example above began circulating on the Internet in October 1998. In keeping with standard scarelore, the name of the victim and where and when this happened are not included in the story (although the writer informs us that the victim was "a family friend's friend" in an attempt to establish his connection to the events described), and a search of news items fails to turn up anything about anyone's having died in this fashion. Lacking such confirmation, we're safe in dismissing this e-mailed scare as nothing more than a cautionary tale.

      In September 1999 the following variation on the "deadly rat excretions" theme turned up on the Internet:


      Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low rates.
    • henry
      I agree about all the nonsense on the internet. However, if I may: The wife of a friend at work had her liver fail on her because of an unclean soft drink can.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 12, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        I agree about all the nonsense on the internet.

        However, if I may:

        The wife of a friend at work had her liver fail on her because of an unclean soft drink can. I don't
        know if it was leptospirosis and even if it was that it came from a rat or some other critter. I do know
        that this woman whom I had met on many occasions at parties, and holidays almost died from
        drinking from a can.

        It doesn't hurt to clean a can or any other drinking or eating implement.

        True, it can't be sterilized just by wiping it, but it can't hurt.

        Henry Krauzyk
        Sowwanishen
        Tanzer 26 #545

        On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 20:16:30 -0700 (PDT), Bill Scanlon wrote
        > Vince/All,
        >
        > Please be carefull with what you belive and send out, if t seem
        > outrageously unbelievable, it probably is;
        >
        > There is a Web Site;
        >
        > www.Snopes.com
        >
        > That list "Urban Legends" and will ist if they are known to be
        > true or not.
        >
        > As far as the Rat urine ....
        >
        > http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/raturine.asp
        >
        > A Wee Rat Problem
        >
        > Claim: E-mailed accounts warn of death and disease caused by rat
        > urine on soda cans.
        >
        > Status: Multiple:
        > Rat urine is ordinarily toxic to humans: False.
        >
        > A stock clerk in Hawaii died after being sent to clean up a
        > storeroom containing rat droppings: False.
        >
        > The potentially deadly illness Leptospirosis can be contracted
        > through exposure to the urine of diseased animals (including rats):
        > True. Examples:
        >
        > DEADLY SODA CANS
        >
        > VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ
        >
        > This incident happened recently in north Texas. We need to be even
        > more careful everywhere.
        >
        > A woman went boating one Sunday, taking with her some cans of coke
        > which she put in the refrigerator of the boat. On Monday she was
        > taken into Intensive Care Unit and on Wednesday she died.
        >
        > The autopsy revealed a certain Leptospirose caused by the can of
        > coke from which she had drunk, not using a glass. A test showed that
        > the can was infected by dried rat urine and hence the disease
        > Leptospirosis.
        >
        > Rat urine contains toxic and deathly substances. It is highly
        > recommended to wash thoroughly the upper part of soda cans before
        > drinking out of them as they have been stocked in warehouses and
        > transported straight to the shops without being cleaned.
        >
        > A study at NYCU showed that the tops of soda cans are more
        > contaminated than public toilets i.e.. full of germs and bacteria.
        > So wash them with water before putting them to the mouth to avoid
        > any kind of fatal accident.
        >
        > Origins: The item presented our first example above began
        > circulating on the Internet in October 1998. In keeping with
        > standard scarelore, the name of the victim and where and when this
        > happened are not included in the story (although the writer informs
        > us that the victim was "a family friend's friend" in an attempt to
        > establish his connection to the events described), and a search of
        > news items fails to turn up anything about anyone's having died in
        > this fashion. Lacking such confirmation, we're safe in dismissing
        > this e-mailed scare as nothing more than a cautionary tale.
        >
        > In September 1999 the following variation on the "deadly rat
        > excretions" theme turned up on the Internet:
        >
        >
        > ---------------------------------
        > Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low rates.
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.